Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690760
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: i No pasarán !  (Read 20631 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
i No pasarán !
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »
Quote from: "Lt. Hazel"
nice stuff Chris! I´ll undercoat some Requetes tonight  8)  What is this white cross over black ground?

It´s one of the two variants of the St. Andrew´s Cross used by the Nationalists both for aircraft markings and as aerial recognition signs on ground vehicles.

One, which I used on the tankettes and UNL-35, was white on black, whereas the other, seen on my PzI, was black on white. Apparently, there was no fixed system for its use, and I have a photograph at hand which shows both variants in the same unit of captured T-26 tanks.

After painting the white-on-black-variant, I may still repaint the PzI, because I like this one better than the black-on-white. And it provides a great contrast to the National tricolors.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
i No pasarán !
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »
I would keep the current sheme on the PzI, I think it works better with the dark vehicle colour
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
I would keep the current sheme on the PzI, I think it works better with the dark vehicle colour

That´s the point in favour of the black-on-white. Decisions, decisions! :mrgreen:

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
i No pasarán !
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2007, 08:41:40 PM »
Perhaps a bit off topic but I just wanted to mention that next years' theme for Crisis will be the Spanish Civil War.

The free give away figure in all probabilty Rodolphe De Hemricourt de Grunne in flying kit. Belgian pilot who fought in the SWC, later in the Belgian Air Force and finally in the Royal Air Force.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
Awesome!

I hope to get an SCW game up and running which I can feature on the Triumph&Tragedy booth...

Offline winterborn

• Bookworm
i No pasarán !
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
Does anyone make condor legion, or would early WWII germans do fine?
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be the light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »
Anglian have a set of Condor Legion Advisors. From what I know, they wore primarily Spanish-style uniforms in brown colours (breeches lighter than the tunic) or, for technical personnel, blue. Note that the Condor Legion did not crew tanks, and included infantry predominantly to protect artillery and AA batteries, so in a historical setting, one might have to limit CL troops to those tasks.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
i No pasarán !
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »
Didn't crew tanks?

I don't have the Osprey about the Condor Legion but on the cover is a Mark One with some chap leaning out of the hatch who I presumed was a German (why else would he be on the cover of the book?).

Have Osprey got it wrong again?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Didn't crew tanks?

I don't have the Osprey about the Condor Legion but on the cover is a Mark One with some chap leaning out of the hatch who I presumed was a German (why else would he be on the cover of the book?).

Have Osprey got it wrong again?

From what I know, just as the Soviets did, the Condor Legion primarily trained Spanish personnel to operate the vehicles. The Foreign Legion was a primary source for candidates since those already had a high level of training and esprit de corps. And the Foreign Legion tankers uniform was a dark grey, from what I know.

Of course, that´s not to say that there were NO CL tankers, just that the custom was to train the Spanish in it.

The really nice toys, though, like aircraft and 88s, they kept to themselves.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2007, 06:30:07 AM »
Hi Chris,

Really excellent what you have achieved :)

I was once a keen collector of the SCW in books and everything else, but I'd to drop a period and this was the period!

Please keep up the excellent work 8)

Best Wishes.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »
Finished the T-26 tank:

Painted for the Republicans (well, "sloganeered" to fit them). Now I have a reason to convert that BAM Pak36 (or, more correctly, convert the crew).

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
i No pasarán !
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2007, 09:43:21 AM »
Nice job - the Anglian Miniatures version?

regards,

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »
Yup - my AFVs are either Anglian, Chieftain or Scratch, plus plastic kits for the planes.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
i No pasarán !
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2007, 02:33:32 PM »
Very nice! Over the weekend I dug out my Praeger/Osprey campaign guide to the Ebro, so this is very apropos.

Nice work, Chris!

Offline Doctor Merkury

• Librarian
  • A better world through Alchemy, Science, and Lead
    • Doctor Merkury's Lab
i No pasarán !
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2007, 01:21:30 AM »
Nice models!

"Apparently, there was no fixed system for its use, and I have a photograph at hand which shows both variants in the same unit of captured T-26 tanks."

Not so, the difference is in the period of use, Gruppe Imker (Group Beekeeper) the ground section of the Condor Legion used the St. Andrew's Crosses for arial ID so they wouldn't get strafed/bombed :)

White Cross on Black bkg was used from 1937 to March 1938, Black cross on white Bkg was used from March 1938 to the end of the war.  The marking shift was in part do to the high rate of captured vehicles being employed.  Germans did indeed pilot tanks utilizing Spanish gunners in the early portion of the war as well as the training process.  Also Germans participated actively in the latter portion of the war with HMG teams operating with the Spaniards.

Some elements of Gruppe Drohne (Group Drone), the Armor portion of Legion Condor

A Panzer 1b with Breda 20mm gun upgrade:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Doctor%20Merkury/image.html?galleryId=2018&imageId=20569
A Panzer 1b:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Doctor%20Merkury/image.html?galleryId=2018&imageId=22749
And a Befehlswagen:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Doctor%20Merkury/image.html?galleryId=2018&imageId=20571
All painted in German Panzer grey with a green disruption pattern and markings denoting 1st Company.

Lots of good info out there, try "Legion Condor", by Roger James Bender for a start.

ˇSalud!

Doc
"They called me mad at the University..."