Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos Alternative Miniatures  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
Chaos Alternative Miniatures
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
I was thinking of running a Rogue Stars band and I was wondering what alternatives there are to GW 40k Chaos and similar.

Are there miniatures that capture that Chaos vibe without being bound to GW? Especially those who are more old school in looks?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Chaos Alternative Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Victoria Miniatures has quite a range of GW-styled models that are generally a better fit with older Citadel models. You can combine these with a variety of other third-party heads like those by MaxMini for example, to get a nice Chaos look without needing them to be festooned in Chaos star symbols. Personally, I think the Arcadians with some of these heads from MaxMini would look great. Victoria also does Beastmen too. Pricey, but I guess you only need a few.

For a less organised militia look, you could also look at the Frostgrave plastic kits put out by Northstar. These capture the raggedy-barbarian look very well, and come in Cultist and Viking flavours too. Plus there is a Gnoll set too, which could make a great basis for some different-looking Beastmen. If you just want one sprue from a box (each box contains four identical sprues of five models each), I have seen various ebay sellers who will sell them like that. Plus, Northstar do a sci-fi weapon pack to upgrade the plastic kits with.

Beyond that, there's loads more stuff actually. If you can post some examples of what you're actually after, it may help with further suggestions.

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »
That's a lot of good stuff for cultists and beastmen, for sure. They'd fill out a band nicely.

Now, do you know of any Chaos Space Marines / Naughty Space Knights?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »
Quite a lot of third-party manufacturers make naughty steam knights. :P

I think the best places to start with are Spellcrow, MaxMini, Kromlech, Puppetswar, and Anvil Industries. These all offer a wide variety of mix-n-match components, and all are the "right" scale and decent quality.

Other possible sources are Scibor and Wargames Exclusive, but I don't think these will have what you're after.

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
In all honesty, I'm just lazy and felt this section was a bit barren of content. lol

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 06:48:38 AM »
What about knightmare miniatures? lots of "old school" feel especially if you want to capture the Chaos Renegades, from the Realms of Chaos books, look.

http://knightmareminiatures.com/collection/new-releases

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »
Fishmen are really great, pity they are only two.. What can one do with only 2 :(
Well racially mixed Pirates bvut I would like ta least 4 Fishmen variants before committing :)

(They got no-Ambull and no-Zoat too)