Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jevenkah and Teshub with more topless, er, roofless buildings  (Read 37084 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
My husband Teshub inspired me so much with his consistent turn-out of A Lady A Day during June that I picked up brush and orcs.

Here we have an always frightening axe-and-shield orc:

And one of our priests using music to calm the savage beasts:

There are a few more pics on the website, and a handful of Lund's let for me to paint!
Jevenkah
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:32:32 AM by Jevenkah »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Jevenkah Paints (Orcs!)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
Those look mean just like they mean business.  :D
I wish I could get my behind up and start painting again. My output is pathetic.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
Nice work, I love those orcs. They were new releases right about when I got into painting. I enjoyed your Lady a Day thread and I think this will be fun to see ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Nice Orcs they will look good on your tabletop.

Did I understand you correctly that you are going to paint one orc a day for a month now?   ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Those look mean just like they mean business.  :D
I wish I could get my behind up and start painting again. My output is pathetic.

Maybe we should get together for a get-a-grip weekend with paints, minis and vintage music (my output has been at a standstill for more than a year)  ;)

I always watch in disbelief when anyone manages to finish one mini a day, I need at least 2 evenings to finish one - but maybe it's because I rarely work at only one at a time.

These orcs look very good, and also very old-school in appearance (Grenadier or something else?).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
Loving these old school orcs.
 :-*

I have a soft spot for the old school look and look forward to painting a few myself soon.
 8)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
The Green Guys look TERRIFIC. the brushwork is every bit up to the standards of Himself...maybe even better. AND is that a GREAT smile or what? Have FUN with The Project.

Tip of the Day: if you add a tiny dot of yellow toward the center of the red eyes, you'll get a nice glowing effect.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 03:52:34 AM »
Nice work.

I love the consistency of painting and basing in your collection, it really enhances the overall effect.

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
I like your approach to painting for the tabletop. You're not just relying on an overly heavy over a single base color to make the figures stand out.  There's smooth transitions and these look good photographed up close.

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »
Really love those old orcs and how you have painted them. I must dust some of mine off when I get a chance o_o

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »
Inspiring me to get back to my EM4 N Lund orc challenge... I ran out of steam about 2/3 of the way through all the conversion work... :(
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
Inspiring me to get back to my EM4 N Lund orc challenge... I ran out of steam about 2/3 of the way through all the conversion work... :(
Please do get this project up again!  I would love to see that massive orc horde all together for some epic photos!
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
@Teshub:

That horde in your signature also looks the part!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 04:07:46 AM »
Thanks all for the encouragement!

The orcs are awesomely old school, having been sculpted by Nick Lund and sold by Grenadier for the game Fantasy Warriors. http://www.mirliton.it/ currently produces most if not all of them. I have so much fun painting these guys, it's worth going through the piles to get to them.

As to the orc-a-day for a month proposal: I don't have enough Lunds laying about! I only have 7 or 8 left unpainted right now. That, and I don't paint nearly as fast as Teshub.

I like your approach to painting for the tabletop. You're not just relying on an overly heavy over a single base color to make the figures stand out.  There's smooth transitions and these look good photographed up close.

Thank you! I find it a bit anxiety-producing to put up my paintjobs at a large magnification. I really enjoy playing with multiple figures in larger scale dioramas. I get to move my camera around much more shooting those.

The Green Guys look TERRIFIC. the brushwork is every bit up to the standards of Himself...maybe even better. AND is that a GREAT smile or what? Have FUN with The Project.

Tip of the Day: if you add a tiny dot of yellow toward the center of the red eyes, you'll get a nice glowing effect.

Thanks for the tip, and the compliments  :D . Teshub was appreciative of all the feedback folks gave him during the ladies a day and he feels he improved quite a bit, especially in the eyes.

We're sure we'll lose track of who painted what soon, our styles are so similar.

Ironically, I have not painted any more orcs this week because I have been painting megalithic orc structures to re-launch an old friend in an old urog character!

And the temple floor heavily inspired by Andym's board for his 7th voyages game ( http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53194.30 finished board on pg 3 ). Any lack of resemblance to his original temple floor is solely due to my lack of execution:

We couldn't resist playing with minis even before we glued the colonnade down:

Or after we secured it in place:

I'll be getting a how-to up on the website of our work on the temple soon.

Jevenkah

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
Re: Jevenkah Paints (Orc Temples Now!)
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 07:43:38 AM »
That is a very impressive temple, very nicely painted. like the sacred fire in the God's hands.