Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Castle Falkenstein Miniatures. Documentation & Project Log.  (Read 12642 times)

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
Greetings fellow adventurers.

I am somewhat new to this site. I have posted a few other hobby threads and was impressed by how many people viewed the thread on LAF. On larger forums I would quickly see my new posts buried under a mountain of newer posts, and would end up with very little views. Due to all of this I decided that LAF was the perfect home for this thread.

I am going to keep this original post fairly short on text. I will only talk about the documentation part of the project for right now. There is very little information about these miniatures on the web. I was lucky enough to find the product codes on SOL.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/soldiers-swords/castle-falkenstein.html . I was lucky to find this since I did not have all the original blister packs. While I did have a good number of them, there were a few that I had loose instead. The first part of the project is to provide a visual reference for the line. After this original post I will consider that part of the project halfway done. The Lost Minis Wikki needs updated as well, but adding an entire new line to the wikki is a somewhat daunting task for my modest computer skills.

There is only one known blister pack missing from the collection. I am missing 155007 Soldiers. I have never seen these miniatures, so if somebody has them even pictures would be appreciated.

155001 Gentlemen.

155002 Ladies.

155003 High Fayries.

155004 Dwarves.

155005 Unseelie.

155006 Seelie.

155007 Soldiers.
Missing miniatures. Hopefully this spot will be edited someday.

155008 Wizard & Sorceress. Pack #1.

155009 Dragons in Human Form. (Scale picture at the end of this post)

155010 Prussian Soldiers. (For more on why these fellows are absolute evil see here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55731.0 )

155019 Wizard & Sorceress. Pack #2.

A picture to show the scale of Dragons in Human Form.

Enjoy.
Jason.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:20:33 PM by 2ndhandwizard »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Castle Falkenstein Miniatures. Documentation & Project Log.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
Interesting... I vaguely recall havng seen some of these years ago. Were they made for a set of rules, boardgame, or some such?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
I remember seeing these models but didnt get any at the time.  Are they more 25mmish, or more 28mmish?

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
Hi guys.

Castle Falkenstein was originally an RPG done in the 90's. It was redone by Steve Jackson Games, and absorbed into the GURPS range. You can find a nice review on the original here: http://robertdushay.home.mindspring.com/Museum/Other/CFalk.html

I will be honest with you, I don't know a whole lot about the game. I did buy the Steve Jackson version. I wanted to look at the artwork and read the fluff. I have only had a chance to glance over it so far. I actually happened upon these miniatures by accident. I am buying parts of a large collection from a friend of mine. On one of the buys I ended up with a couple of blister packs. I was mildly interested. The last time I went for a visit I was fortunate enough to pick up the rest of the collection. Once that happened I was pretty well committed to keeping the collection intact. I have a rule that I only keep minis in my collection that are painted. Otherwise it's off to my ebay store with them.

I intend to read more into the game. I may even try to write some table top rules that include playing cards instead of dice.(read review mentioned further up in this reply for more on playing cards)

Thanks for the interest.
Jason.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »
I have some of the original Castle Falkenstein RPG books, and, while I'm not into role-playing, I thought I'd like to explore the background. Along with the fantasy parts, it seemed have a lot more 'Continental' adventures, something I tend to miss in most material I see. I even enjoy hanging out in 'Gothic Horror' just for snatches of central Europe adventures.

Will be watching with strong interest further details!  8)

FYI, yes, this is an inappropriate place for sales and trades, unless you're a manufacturer. Moderators usually just move such a post, which would be a shame as the majority of the discussion isn't such.

May I ask you to delete that part yourself (yet another forum perq I LOVE; no edit time limit) and post a request in the Bazar(sic)?

Thanks mucho!!!

Doug

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »
FYI, yes, this is an inappropriate place for sales and trades, unless you're a manufacturer. Moderators usually just move such a post, which would be a shame as the majority of the discussion isn't such.

May I ask you to delete that part yourself (yet another forum perq I LOVE; no edit time limit) and post a request in the Bazar(sic)?

Thanks mucho!!!

Doug
Edited.

I remember seeing these models but didnt get any at the time.  Are they more 25mmish, or more 28mmish?

I believe they are 25mms.

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
I wouldn't call the Prussians in this setting absolute evil exactly. They just happen to be secretly allied with the Unseelie Court. The Bavarians, interestingly, are allied with the Seelie.

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »
I had pinned these down to Jeff Valent Studios but was unaware of Castle Falkenstein.

"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 04:15:38 AM »
These were actually done under Soldiers & Swords. Jeff must have done the sculpting. He did retain the rights to some of the miniatures that were not based on artwork from any of the books.

I hadn't seen this picture before. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:17:27 AM by 2ndhandwizard »

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
great work 2ndhandwizard!
I never seen these miniatures before despite being a fan of Castle Falkenstein when released and played several campaings, The basic rulebook was published in Spain, and the expansion books were quite common in the stores but never seen blisters of the miniatures range.

Guys if you dont know the game I suggest you to look for it, it worths a read. Castle Falkenstein was a great and innovative game in the rpg, now steampunk and using cards instead of dices seems to be a common thing, but back in the 90s this game was a groundbreaking innovation, in fact many people disliked the game because of being "so different".
Also the publishing was great, with cool graphic design, inner color pages with double spread illustrations, the rules explanation was displayed in a narrative tale style until the point the games advertising was "It's a novel. It's a game. It's both. It's Castle Falkenstein". Even the usual rpg character sheet wasn't there, instead you had to keep notebook writing down your "biography"
It was a great and innovative game that changed many things on how rpg are nowadays... isn't obvious i'm a fan of Castle Falkenstein?  lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:21:42 AM by Donpimpom »

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
I would like to further stress the point that Donpimpom made above. I bought the original RPG from Drive Thru RPG 2 nights ago. So far all the background fluff is very interesting. I am also intrigued by the concept of advancing characters through writing it in their biography.

As I delve further into this game and background I am quite glad I stumbled upon this collection.

I have started painting already. My first Prussian should be ready for pictures sometime this weekend.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:41 AM »
Try to find the companion "Comme il faut", it's the typical first expansion with all the stuff they didn't had room for on the rulebook

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
I prefer the american expansion. It really has a lot more useful info than Comme il faut (unless you are mainly interested in the high society's lifestyle minute details)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
I have two of the dwarfs, never realized they were CF
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 06:05:03 AM »
I have the dragons in human form. Lovely minis, hard to come by