Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Castle Falkenstein Miniatures. Documentation & Project Log.  (Read 12666 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Re: Castle Falkenstein Miniatures. Documentation & Project Log.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
This takes me back. I have the original Castle Falkenstein RPG, and the expansion Comme Il Faut. Although the setting is a bit weird in places, it's probably the finest example I can think of where the rules of a game perfectly complement the setting. The idea is that a time travelling RPG writer from our time gets stuck in a parallel Victorian universe. He tries to teach the Victorians a simple roleplaying game, but initially he uses dice. Dice are for cads, and several ladies swoon. Therefore he switches to playing cards so that the ladies can join in ;-)

Loads of nice touches like that. Women can't be killed physically, as only a cad would harm a lady. But they can take 'constitutional damage' from harsh language and vulgarity, and fall into a faint if it all gets too much. Sounds silly, but very wittily written.

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
Castle Falkenstein was very innovative for the time, both in mechanisms and setting -one of the first VSF / Steampunk games, a few years after Space 1889 , though with magic and non-human races it was kind of Victorian Shadowrun. Historical and fiction characters are thrown in as in Anno Dracula / The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Great emphasis is placed on playing the (detailed) period atmosphere / ethics, in a very 'storytelling' way.
Never managed to convince enough people to play a game, but the rich background (most of the 200 pages) is so well-thought and pleasantly written that it makes an enjoyable reading by itself, with such nice touches as 'A gentleman walks with his wife on his right and his mistress on his left, to prevent embarrassing confusions'.

A lot of inspiration potential for 'EotD' factions / 'IHMN' companies.

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
Nicely done  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »
Interesting - I have the RPG book and the two expansions, and I have the "missing" Soldier pack (can't post a picture, unfortunately - technically challenged; I don't, for example, even own a cell phone).  Other than that, had only ever seen the Wizards & Sorcerers,  and Dragons in Human form.  The Soldiers pack has three figures:  a man aiming a revolver (looks bit like a Colt) with his gloved right hand (in a duelist-like pose), wearing a cape (left arm hidden under it), knee-high boots, cuirass with a winged dragon emblem on it,cape, and a helmet with a cres similar to the Austro-Hungarian dragoons and cuirassiers of the 1860's - 1914; a bare-headed duelist in typical en-garde position (left gloved hand up, right grasping the saber with arm bent at elbow, saber point forward), bloused boots, wearing a military tunic with four rows of hussar-like lace across the front and shoulder straps/epaulates (interestingly, but for the lace the tunic is more like a lancer's, as the opening would be down the right front); the third man is in same uniform as the other sword carrier, but without gloves, and he leads with his left arm, his saber-wielding right arm behind him and raised as if to make a cut.   

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
...I painted up the Ladies set this week.

I like those.  Good painting and bases.  Clean and crisp.   :)

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 12:03:31 AM »
Very well painted ita nice to see these old figures get some love.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »
Those ladies are great, and your paintjob does them credit!  :-*

I REALLY need to get my Gothic Horror stuff back on tracks, evil Cossacks, and everything... Well, maybe a few figs after Horisont, I have a bad case of the Gob/fantasy/LotR bug atm, and several projects that need some love, too ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline lobo

• Librarian
    • lobos kleine Welt
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »
Superb Paintjob

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »

I painted up the Ladies set this week. More here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/2014/11/25mm-jeff-valent-studios-ladies-and.html

These look great.

Thanks to a message from an LA user, I picked up the missing set from the collection. :)

Now if I could manage to finish my earthdawn collection. :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
Earthdawn? Really?

One can only imagine naked scream from Hercules, on finishing the Augean Stables, being told he had to next take on my basement AND storage shed...

By the way, don't think anyone mentioned the original casters being Soldiers and Swords; from what I'm seeing elsewhere, Steve Jackson marketed them as well? Same casters?

Doug

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
Earthdawn? Really?

One can only imagine naked scream from Hercules, on finishing the Augean Stables, being told he had to next take on my basement AND storage shed...

By the way, don't think anyone mentioned the original casters being Soldiers and Swords; from what I'm seeing elsewhere, Steve Jackson marketed them as well? Same casters?

Doug
Steve Jackson released a GURPS version of Castle Falkenstein back in 2000. I didn't think they sold any miniatures for it though.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
Steve Jackson released a GURPS version of Castle Falkenstein back in 2000. I didn't think they sold any miniatures for it though.

Noticed a couple of listings, out of stock, at Nobel Knight Games with product codes of SJGxxxxxx. I, of course, jumped to a conclusion.  :D

Doug

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 04:55:43 AM »
Steve Jackson made a set of Steampunk miniatures with a clockwork cat they were not however for Castle Falkenstien.