Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689290
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Not so Nautilus and crew  (Read 5269 times)

Offline ZMM

• Student
    • Gydran Miniatures Studio
Re: Not so Nautilus and crew
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »
Gosh, that has very nice lines for a behemoth!

Looks just right and also very playable, too. Well done! 20,000 Leagues is one of my all time favourite 'going to the films' childhood memories.  :-*

Same here, I've started listening to the unabridged version on audio book while i'm working. Some how it makes my creativity go wild and inspires me so much!

On the subject of the model boat though, I'm trying to resist making a London dock gaming table just so i can use it!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
Same here, I've started listening to the unabridged version on audio book while i'm working. Some how it makes my creativity go wild and inspires me so much!

I both love and hate that book. It's fantastic, but seriously I'm reading an adventure story, not an encyclopedia of made up fish and their habitats! You can cut about a third of the book away with no loss whatsoever.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline ZMM

• Student
    • Gydran Miniatures Studio
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
I both love and hate that book. It's fantastic, but seriously I'm reading an adventure story, not an encyclopedia of made up fish and their habitats! You can cut about a third of the book away with no loss whatsoever.

Yeah that's what you get with the abridged version, but i always have to read a book (or listen in this case) in the unabridged version. I think the only book i haven't read an unabridged version of is the Hagakura, which has saved me from reading laundry lists etc which suits me well.

But yes, there is a lot of cataloging of species by genus etc... A bit too much!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
I only have the unabridged version, like you I have to read the 'proper' book :)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
I read the unabridged version too a couple of years ago.

Interestingly, in the book the crew of the Nautilus all wear PURPLE uniforms, using the same aquatic dye that the Romans used. I don't think I've see any interpretation of Nemo's crew wearing that colour, be it in film, comic book or painted wargames figures.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

Not if you are paid by the word or some other traditional magazine/newspaper form of literature back in the day...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
I read the unabridged version too a couple of years ago.

Interestingly, in the book the crew of the Nautilus all wear PURPLE uniforms, using the same aquatic dye that the Romans used. I don't think I've see any interpretation of Nemo's crew wearing that colour, be it in film, comic book or painted wargames figures.

I have a question, given that colorfast dyes are relatively "new" would that purple be more of a mauve or lavender color?

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit Wait, I found this http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tyrian-purple.htm so purple it is!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
Edit Wait, I found this http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tyrian-purple.htm so purple it is!

Interesting, thanks for that link. More of a magenta colour apparently.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 03:20:03 AM »
The ship is lookin great!