Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley AAR - Pulp Girl vs. The Golden Guardian  (Read 8317 times)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Pulp Alley AAR - Pulp Girl vs. The Golden Guardian
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
We decided to play the Golden Guardian scenario. This can be a really challenging scenario so we decided to play it mostly as a co-op.

With the Guardian standing in front of the gate, Josh and I deployed our leagues on opposite sides of the board.

I waste no time, having Mike, Bowler, and Naga move towards the Guardian, getting into position to charge next turn.

Josh plays Out of Ammo, making the Guardian unable to shoot this turn, and I play an Unseen Peril, attempting to wound the Guardian.

We move our leaders into position, ready to activate the Altars of Power and Knowledge.

Mak moves up to position himself in front of the Altar of Dreams.

Bowler and Mike charge the Golden Guardian, managing to wound him. Josh plays a Stay Down card, taking away the Guardian’s Recovery check for this turn.

Danny stands by the Altar of Power, ready to activate it next turn. Kairi and Lilith move up to try and help.

Axel shoots at the Golden Guardian, injuring him but going down.

Both Mike and Bowler stand up next turn, engaging the Guardian again.

Bowler doesn't make it through the brawl but Mike manages to knock down the Golden Guardian. I play Finish It, taking the Guardian out of combat.

Danny activates the Altar of Power, relying on the others to activate the others.

Mak fails to activate the Altar of Dreams, making the other Altar shut off. They will have to try again next turn.

Danny activates the altar again. Kairi moves to try and help Mak with the altar. She is intercepted by a hungry crocodile in the water.

Mak manages to activate the Altar of Dreams.

Pulp Girl easily activates the Altar of Knowledge and the gate opens.

Kairi is the only one who doesn't make it through before the gate closes. The rest of the league will have to help her over the wall.

We had a lot of fun with this scenario. I ended the game with 3 plot points and Josh ended with 1.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Pulp Alley AAR - Pulp Girl vs. The Golden Guardian
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:57 AM »
Fun story  :)
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:55:09 AM »
Great adventure pulp style.

Questions: How is the wall constructed? I'd guess the blocks have been glued together but correct me if I'm wrong. I have made enough blocks from the mold to duplicate it but was wondering if it is attached to anything from behind or just free standing?

Also who makes the Golden Guardian mini ?

:)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:08:00 AM by Prof. Dinglebat. Phd. »

Offline Johnny Aces

• Bookworm
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Great AAR as always. Fantastic Fedora as well.

I can't help but notice the shelves of minis and the other shelf of terrain on the other side. Can't even see them well, yet I am envious...(The three skulls at the bottom right corner? Dave dabbling in the dark arts or in need of a walking stick with style?)
Co-Writer of Pulp Alley:Perilous Island
Grand Poobah of Pulp Alley Propaganda

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
A great AAR as usual.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
Questions: How is the wall constructed? I'd guess the blocks have been glued together but correct me if I'm wrong. I have made enough blocks from the mold to duplicate it but was wondering if it is attached to anything from behind or just free standing?

Also who makes the Golden Guardian mini ?

The bricks are glued onto a block of styrofoam. It does lean a bit so we had to put some terrain behind it to make sure it's stable.

I'm sorry but neither of can remember where we got it.

The three skulls at the bottom right corner? Dave dabbling in the dark arts or in need of a walking stick with style?

Actually that's mine. And I will neither confirm nor deny the dabbling of dark arts lol

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »
The Guardian miniature is a Ral Partha golem.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Great report, great pictures, great hat! Did you not feel the urge to turn your guns on the other league after the Golden Guardian went down? A last minute betrayal at the gate?

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
I'm so envious. Great tables and figures, opponents to play games with...looks like you had fun.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
Great report, great pictures, great hat! Did you not feel the urge to turn your guns on the other league after the Golden Guardian went down? A last minute betrayal at the gate?

I thought it best to still keep the truce until the gate was open. On our way off the board, Josh did use an Unseen Peril on one of my characters. I passed it so I didn't feel the need to include that in the story lol

In his defense, I did have three of the four reward cards.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
Great AAR.
I love that wall. So simple yet so nice.

Cheers,
Ian
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »

Indeed! It appears that Mila skipped over that part in her story.  ;D

In fact, Josh's league opened fire on Pulp Girl and friends as they ran for the gate.  lol lol

I think that's one of the fun parts to the "co-op" idea in the last few scenarios of this campaign. It is nothing more than an agreement to cooperate rather than an actual "rule". So betrayals can come at any time and should actually be expected...

Oh, one more item Mila didn't mention was, she got to play 'Buy Some Time' and extended the scenario to 7 turns. Without that card, both sides would have left 2-3 characters outside the gate.

HAVE FUN

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 04:43:45 AM »
Another great write-up.

Do you have a thread that describes how you made those game boards? I know for flats you use the 18" linoleum tile, but these are clearly customized, yet appear a lot like those commercial tiles. 'Fess up!!!
I'm tired of using wool army blankets, I need to step up my game ;)

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
Another great write-up.

Do you have a thread that describes how you made those game boards? I know for flats you use the 18" linoleum tile, but these are clearly customized, yet appear a lot like those commercial tiles. 'Fess up!!!
I'm tired of using wool army blankets, I need to step up my game ;)

What I did was click on the members name which will take you to a screen where you can then click on member's latest posts. Click on this and you can read pages and pages of all the info since they joined ;-)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »
What I did was click on the members name which will take you to a screen where you can then click on member's latest posts. Click on this and you can read pages and pages of all the info since they joined ;-)

Well they do post a lot, and it's clearly possible to miss something even though I'm an avid follower. More 'homework' for me! :)
Here's a great post on making hillsides:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49063.0

I'm not sure why but I've never wanted to make terrain boards until I see the Pulp Alley stuff, four 18" boards seems like a good size to try out.

EDIT: I've been a good boy and did my research. I ended up joining the Pulp Alley forums which appears to have the answers to my questions :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:16:44 PM by Dr Mathias »