Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 (SA WW2) - Villains! [29/1/17]  (Read 47246 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - Giant creatures attack! [22/8/13]
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »
I like both your salamander and the snake. The eyes are very cool and I am going to steal this idea in the future!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - WW2 weapon questions [16/8/13]
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:13 AM »
Sir Horatio and Shaggy wish they had called in sick this morning!

As pointed out previously, I don't need this many for an SA game, but it's always useful to have a massive horde ;)

Great stuff... When I first saw the pics, I had a flashback to the early MTV days.

Just need MJ in the front row, and Vincent Price doing the voice over... :-)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - WW2 weapon questions [16/8/13]
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 06:02:21 AM »

Great stuff... When I first saw the pics, I had a flashback to the early MTV days.

Just need MJ in the front row, and Vincent Price doing the voice over... :-)

It is a bit like that isn't it. Now I'm wondering how to do musical interludes and dance numbers in a SA game ;)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
I know I said there wasn't going to be any more painting until after the move, but there was one zombie left before Season 1's horde is finished... and here he is.

As there's only one of the Abomination, he really had to have as much effort put into him as a character. I think I still need to do a few little touches to the glass shards and blood as they are looking more like bits of Warpstone growing out of him, which is the wrong game.

I also know that he's not looking very zombie-like. Does he look dead to you? Whenever I see the Abomination, I'm reminded of the massive creatures in Resident Evil that are more mutation than dead person... so this is the approach I've taken here. Should also make for a great nasty in SA

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »
That monstrosity will make a fantastic Blasphemous Construct.
 8)

You have done a great job on it, it looks wonderful as it is.
Great job!
 :-*

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »
I definitely see a golem, not a zombie.

To me, I'd have painted him light green and made him into a super mutant for Fallout, but as a blasphemous construct, you really did an awesome job.

One question: what did you use, either technique or product, to get the very light (almost pure white) lines on his chest, along the highlights of his back, et. c?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:33:50 PM by superflytnt »
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
I definitely see a golem, not a zombie.

To me, I'd have painted him light green and made him into a super mutant for Fallout, but as a blasphemous construct, you really did an awesome job.

One question: what did you use, either technique or product, to get the very light (almost pure white) lines on his chest, along the highlights of his back, et. c?

I like your thinking, but I needed to leave green and red skin tones alone as these will be needed for the next two boxes of Zombicide which have toxic and rage zombies :)

As for the almost white, that's just progressively lighter mixes of Dwarf flesh and white, until it's nearly cream at the highlights. They are thin layers. I think the final layer also had some gloss medium mixed in to make it thinner to blend in more.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »
Geeze, I'd forgotten how long it was since I last updated here. So much to catch up on!

Firstly, happy new year and all that to you all.

I got a nice surprise coming into the office this morning... my rather densely packed  Achtung! Cthulhu kickstarter parcel has arrived. How exciting!

I've not had time for more than a cursory glance at the figures yet, but the quality is outstanding and they will be perfect for my plans for a ww2 SA storyline. The detail and casting quality is flawless, with no visible cleanup needed on the parts, other than clipping any small bits from their sprues. Scale wise they should be perfect sat next to Bolt Action troops. Once I have some stuck together I will get a nice scale photo up. The one downside (if you see it as that) are the sheer number of small parts for some of the models and how delicate they are; we could also do with a parts list for each set as each set of 6 figures lumps all the bits into one bag. I fear for the lives of some of these as time goes on, especially the tentacles on the Cthonian or the rocket being carried by the Nachtwolf Stalker. I've included some examples below with a USB stick as scale guide to how small some of those bits are!

Some of the heroic characters come with some deep, dark secrets. One of them has a small dragon/imp thing sat on her shoulder and Natalya (below) has some sort of spirit riding inside her that comes out and protects her every now and then. The nice thing about both of the models is that neither has to have the mythos element attached as there are no visible markers on the model for where you stick them. This means that it would be possible to get two of each and have one version that is usable in normal pulp games and one for mythos/horror games.

Just look at the size of the sword in the second image... then realise that it is about a third as thick... I really don't know how it survived the post as some of the thicker pieces didn't. 

We've even got to deal with separate horns for the Night Gaunts!

And a mass of limbs to attach via very small ball joints... these are going to be as delicate as some of the worst infinity models and probably as nightmarish to glue together. Hopefully these delicate multi-part models will be the first to get the plastic treatment we were promised in the kickstarter.

The only disappointment so far though is the huge scale difference between the two deep ones! There are three different sculpts (not including the special in the bulk box). The left hand model is a giant amongst fish-men as you can see from the photo below. Thankfully I've only currently got one of each so he can be an older Deep One, but it would have been nice if they were all the same scale.

The rest will make an appearance as they get constructed and painted. I can safely say that I'm over the moon with them all and will be buying lots more as they get released for the skirmish game if the quality remains at this level.

I also managed to get some more bits painted up over Christmas, which was a nice change of pace!

One of the blogs I follow elsewhere had started to paint up all his zombicide zombies in black and white as a challenge. Seeing what he had done and how much better they looked than my full colour horde earlier in this thread, I decided that I would swap my painted ones for a friend's unpainted set for his Christmas present. This had the triple bonus of making him a very happy man, saving me some much needed money for the house move and allowing me to restart my zombies in b&w ;)

I have to say, the horde looks much more menacing like this than the colour one. Is also means that characters stand out against the mass.
Each zombie is undercoated in black and drybrushed in successively lighter shades of grey on different parts to pick out skin or clothing. IF you're really feeling up to it you can add in patterns on the clothing to provide some additional textures. The walkers and runners didn't get too much attention, but the Abomination has had more time spent on him

I've also got a nice little gargoyle to accompany the cultists. This one was from the Judge Dredd Cultists gang that my Magus came from earlier in the thread.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - Paiting and Acthung! Cthulhu! [15/1/14]
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
Thanks for posting the Achtung Cthulhu stuff.
I have been wondering what the figures actually looked like.
I was not impressed with the illustration-type images on the KS, hence why I didnt delve in myself.

It seems that they are pretty good, if a little fragile-looking.
Lovely sculpts though.

I may have to take a look when they go on general release, as if I do not have enough in the SA leadpile already....

Those zombies of yours look fantastic, mate.
The B+W look certainly works for me.
I wont be repainting all mine, though.....oh, no!

But that Abomination is something else, mate.
He is the dogs bits!
 :-* 8) :-*

...and that gargoyle looks seriously cute in a grumpy kind of way.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
Thanks! I spent last night sticking together some of the A!C models and geeeeeeeze they are fiddly. They are also not really 28mm. They were supposed to be the same scale as Bolt Action, but you stand then next to the BA plastics some are very small indeed. There's one guy that is supposed to be 7ft tall, but 

I'll do a scale shot of each one as it gets painted

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
I've made a start on my Mi57 operatives.

From left to right we have Corporal Vanden, artillery observer and scout; Commander Harris*; Sir Hilary Duff**, Corporal Singh*; Corporal Jones, the medic and Private Smith, the sniper.

* These two models are from the Acthung! Cthulhu kickstarter. Commander Harris is very short... more like 25mm than 28, but he looks fine in amongst other figures.

** This one is from WK Minis, with a Bolt Action head.

All the rest are Bolt Action Commando plastics

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
 :o

Great stuff, mate.

A wonderful blend of different manufacturers.
Loving the WK conversion.
 8) 8)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:17 PM »
I've posted these two in the Lovecraftian Painting Circle, but they really belong in here... so for completeness sake... I finally have some mythos creatures for Mi57 to try and banish from the green and lush pastures of these fine shores.

Signs of Cthonian activity have been reported around the Wookie caves. Future maneuvers will be needed into the caverns to get rid of the infestation.

Rumours also occur every now and then of eerie baying and strange otherworldly canine-like beasts on the Dartmoor

Both of these are from the Acthung! Cthulhu kickstarter and are very... fiddly to piece together. The ankles on the hound are about the thickness of a pin, but the detail is really nice.

Over in my >>>Weird War thread<<< are some of the uniformed troops from the kickstarter. I wasn't sure if they should/could go into two threads... so go have a peek at them over there
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:15:26 PM by EndTransmission »

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - More Acthung! Cthulhu [20/02/14]
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Not modelling related, but the Concept Cards Locations decks just arrived in the post. Originally these were going to be for our RPG sessions, but reading through some of the samples, they will be great for adding some extra flavour or twist to Strange Aeons scenarios too.

Say we've rolled the standard Monster Attack scenario, what do we know about the scenario? We have three Locations decks (Rural, Urban and Epic). I would imagine Epic locations are more suited to large showdowns, so lets take the Rural deck and see if it's of any use in giving our table something special.

An example card is "Murder of Crows. A lone tree stands in the middle of a field, always full of crows. They will steal anything shiny from passers by."

This tells us that our table has a large field containing a large tree. It's also suggesting that the tree contains a flock of crows that attacks anything going nearby. This could add a free Swarm (ST1- p21) to the scenario that will attack either side that goes near the tree.

One of the other notes on the card is that the tree contains precious trinkets that the crows have stolen from other passers by. So maybe if you fight off the swarm you might gain +1 on the Treasure Hunting roll. IF this were a Retrieve the Artifacts or Treasure Hunt scenario, then even better.

Another example card, this time from the Urban deck is the Blue Blood Inn. This doesn't really give us much in the way of SA ideas, but it does tell us that there needs to be a large Inn on the table somewhere to act as a focal point for the scenario. Possibly this is where the Lurkers or Threshold agents start the game instead of the standard deployment locations?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:54:31 PM by EndTransmission »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - Location cards [21/02/14]
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me.
It should help set the scene at the very least, and add an extra something to the game itself most of the time.
I like it!
 8)