Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 (SA WW2) - Villains! [29/1/17]  (Read 47383 times)

Offline The Somnambulist

• Scientist
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - Qu-Sh-Ug [06/03/14]
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2014, 03:28:01 PM »
Perfect! I now have another one on it's way... this one will have a full mouth of tentacles. I'm also thinking of trying to do something else to it's back so it's a slightly different shape, but I'm not 100% sure what yet though

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »
Perfect! I now have another one on it's way... this one will have a full mouth of tentacles. I'm also thinking of trying to do something else to it's back so it's a slightly different shape, but I'm not 100% sure what yet though

I think that I shall be getting one myself sooner or later, but as I have so much Mythos-related stuff still to paint, it may be some tim before I do.
Great model though!

I will be difficult to make two of those noticeably different due to the rather squat shape, so I look forward to seeing how you approach it.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
Good lord, that blighter is nearly $45, with postage. My poor estranged Canadian Dollar is having a bit of a rough time in relation to the dynamic Pound Sterling...

I think that I shall be getting one myself sooner or later, but as I have so much Mythos-related stuff still to paint, it may be some tim before I do.
Great model though!

I will be difficult to make two of those noticeably different due to the rather squat shape, so I look forward to seeing how you approach it.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
If it is any consolation, we have Canadian customers and have to bill in Canadian Dollars...

Anyway. Onto happier themes. I was reading through the SA book again and realised that I'd not posted my mummies. these were from my old Heroquest set, carefully carved from their bases so they would fit with the rest of of the creatures and characters

It looks like I've got a fair selection of figures now, so I really should start building up some terrain.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:41:44 PM by EndTransmission »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - Mummies [09/03/14]
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
 :o

Four Mummies!

Do you have no mercy?
 ;)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »
Nope. No mercy at all. There are actually 5, but one didn't make this photo. There will be 6 after Salute as I need to pick up the Cult of Ra IHMN set for more cultists

They are intended for my slow burning Warhammer Quest project, but will be useful here too

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »
In the run up to this year's Salute, I thought I should probably build the 4Ground house I bought last year so I can start that terrain collection I've been promising myself for years!

It's a nice kit, but I was convinced when building it that it was too small. Scaling up the measurements seem to indicate that it is actually about right for a small terrace house, so I stand corrected. It does need dirtying up a lot though. I mean.. the roof and large chunks of the wall are missing and it's still got a clean floor and cream walls! There are some parts that I wish I'd painted before sticking it all together, or things I'd quite like to be built differently, but it will suffice for now.

The Salute shopping list currently has lots of things like ivy and flowers to grow up the building and some new soot weathering powders, so expect an update sometime next year at this rate ;)

At least Qu-Sh-Ug seems to be having fun rampaging through the building.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The Ongoing Adventures of Mi57 - Bringing down the house [28/03/14]
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
That is a nice building with plenty of gaming potenetial.
 8)

It does need dirtying up a lot though. I mean.. the roof and large chunks of the wall are missing and it's still got a clean floor and cream walls! There are some parts that I wish I'd painted before sticking it all together, or things I'd quite like to be built differently, but it will suffice for now.

Unfortunately, though, I agree that these 'pre-painted' building look too 'clean' and like something from a cartoon and need a complete repaint and modifying (roof tiles etc) before they come up to scratch.
But still a very useful building with a little work.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
 :D

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
I suspect the roof is coming off and being built properly with support beams and tiles first

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
I suspect the roof is coming off and being built properly with support beams and tiles first

Just the ticket!

That is the thing with these MDF creations: They look exactly what they are.

They make a good basis for a building, but need a bit of work to get looking right.
Outside of the Old West this can be almost as much work as just building from scratch.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
I'm with Mason on this. Several hours work will have your place looking tickity-boo. Consider it a bit of a fixer-upper opportunity.  ;)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
I knew there was going to be extra work on it, I just wanted to see what it actually looked like out of the box (so to speak). Unfortunately… it looks flat packed ;)

I guess that saves me lots of money at Salute though and means I may actually have some money to become a cult member this year!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
To be honest, mate, I am not too keen on MDF kits (outside of the Old West, where I think they work ok) as they are too 'flat'.
You can inscribe as much detail as you like with a laser, the base material is dead flat so the result is the same.

They can make excellent 'frames' to add to and make a building, if they are not too pricey in the first place.
This kit is a good example of that: A few timbers, floorboards and tiles made out of balsa and/or card and it will improve no end.

As this style of painting an MDF building: No thank you!
Repaint the bugger, it will look so much better.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Moving away from the building for a bit, I've managed to finally put some paint on something for the first time in weeks. Following a common theme, these are all from the Modiphius Achtung! Cthulhu kickstarter range. These models are all excellent sculpts and are great fun to paint.