Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Pontus fight, last page!)  (Read 19400 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Lovely painting, well done!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Thanks guys.  Short of another maybe 10 models, this project will be done soon-ish.  I may paint a few animals, and I'm working with a laser-cutting buddy of mine to make an MDF mobile arena/dice/books box-try...thing.  lol

So that'll be the next undertaking.  Also waiting to see what happens with BOTS.  I did some custom BOTS dice and recently made up a slightly prettier gladiator roster sheet.

PS: Too many big threads - the pics are all available on my blog.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
I really dig the last 3.  I may be stealing some of your shield designs too.  I also think the Foundry figures are nice, but I think people are forgetting that not everyone is the same height/size.  having different size figures, especially gladiators, adds another element to the game.  It is always a shock to the crowd when the small guy beats the crowd favorite.  I'd like to know what animals you were thinking of painting and the modular arena you were talking about.

Justin

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
I grabbed (I think...) a bear and some wild cats and one of the Foundry sets came with a lion.  Furt and I talked about including animals in BOTS and he did up some test rules for them.  I'd have to paint up a few Bestiarii but that wouldn't be a problem.  The arena (if it happens - design and cost pending) would be decent size MDF box arena, the lid being two parts which become dice trays (and the whole thing should hold books/paper/dice...maaaaybe figures).  I'm working with the designer right now.

I'll at least be having one or two made for me and my friends - but if it's profitable, I'll be selling them on ebay (stateside customers only!).  We'll see it.  If it doesn't work out or is too expensive then it won't happen.  I'll be posting up on that if/when it happens.  Just something simple but hopefully easy enough to transport.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Looking forward to your arena/box Elbows.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Pontus fight, last page!)
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 04:12:08 AM »
Played a game of BOTS tonight against my brother, and we decided to try out the new pontus I had constructed.  Because my photobucket is literally full (no more space/bandwidth) I've had to post the pics and info on my blog...sorry!

http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/

Here is a teaser (sorry to become one of the blog guys but I have too many giant pic threads running on LAF right now...grrrr...)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
Looks cool Elbows.

Love how you have included the pontus in your games and the outcome was reasonable.

Looking forward to you developing this more.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2014, 02:55:39 AM »
It was good fun and I'll definitely try it again.  Worked very well with little need to change any of the BOTS stuff.  The multiple gladiator rules worked fine as well - though needless the say the Retiarius is in a tough spot.  However the speed tests, difficulty moving, likelihood of tripping/falling, and the exhaustion could play against the Secutores.  We both agreed that if the Retiarius had inflicted some good damage while on the pontus he may have been able to win.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
Epic clash via webcam tonight...

My buddy and I decided to try playing BOTS via Skype (a webcam service).  We each had two miniatures and a hex mat and our BOTS playtest stuff.  It actually worked well.  This was my buddy's first game of BOTS and it turned into an epic 1 hour 45 minute fight!

I created Fastus, Thraex - a simple gladiator from Illyricum (all stats: 3).  My buddy created a Myrmillo (Stamina 4, all other stats 3).  A classic match.  It went about 8-9 turns.  It was the longest match I've played by far.  Both gladiators scored hits, but it was a crippling arm hit which caused my Thraex to bleed badly which signaled his demise.  I dropped arena dice from six to four...then from four to three.  Eventually the Myrmillo went to four dice by the end as well.  His Stamina proved decisive as he shrugged off a half dozen strikes (minor wounds).  The Thraex was injured three times.  Both gladiators spent the latter part of the game attempting to respite, the only place where I failed horribly.

Eventually in the final turn I was at 12 fatigue, and bled horribly...going up to 15 fatigue!  Immediately spent, but the crowd spared me for the good fight.  My Thraex' arm had been disabled as well.  I kept lucking out and evading the persistent Myrmillo.  Numerous times it "should" have ended.

In the end, exhausted and bleeding profusely my Thraex surrendered and was granted missio.  These two gladiators will likely meet again, soon!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2014, 05:38:28 AM »
Wow, you managed a webcam game. That's awesome Elbows.

Will you try this again? I think someone else who was playtesting was interested in trying it via Skype?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »
Will I try it again?  Pffft, my one geeky gamer buddy is about 1800 miles away, so...yep.  In fact we played again tonight - three games!

Match 1: House Oscarus (Hoplomachus and Secutor) vs. House Guest (Retiarius and Myrmillo).  In this brutal and quick engagement my Hoplomachus Opax slew the Retiarius with a spear the head (saving the Secutor who'd been tripped by his net) and then the two chased down the Myrmillo and Opax dispatched him as well.  Neither were granted missio for such a poor showing.

Match 2: After falling down and rolling around in the dirt, my Secutor Cyphus matched up to a well rolled (good strength, good speed, and Nimble) Retiarius named Titus.  This match was a grudge match going back and forth with a heavily bleeding thigh my Secutor finally chopped Titus' arm nearly clean off, resulting in his immediate surrender.  Such a spectacle meant Titus was awarded life.

Match 3: Titus was seeking revenge so I rolled up an Arbelas to fight him.  We introduced a new house rule when I rolled three 1's for my Arbelas' skill.  We decided that a roll of three ones would result in a value of 2 being assigned (instead of the standard three) so Mediocratus started off on the wrong foot.  While he was lucky to land a couple of blows he fell quickly under a withering counter attack by the mighty Titus.  Bleeding from wounds to both arms, he was finally struck so hard on the head that he passed out.  His poor skill and equally poor showing meant that Titus gave him quick and easy passage from this world.

My buddy and I will be firing up the campaign rules, since he's more able to game (and more enthusiastic) than my brother.  So I'll get to put it to the grind stone.  We'll simply be recruiting these experienced gladiators.

The webcam game works very well.  The only issue we've encountered is that his hex boards are different and we run into issues matching spacing when moving figures (and using walls etc.).  This will be rectified when he gets a mat like mine or we both buy identical arenas (still working on that).  Other than occasional outages and the lack of sharing snacks etc. the game works perfectly well via webcam.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »
The webcam game works very well.  The only issue we've encountered is that his hex boards are different and we run into issues matching spacing when moving figures (and using walls etc.).  This will be rectified when he gets a mat like mine or we both buy identical arenas (still working on that).  Other than occasional outages and the lack of sharing snacks etc. the game works perfectly well via webcam.

lol - not sharing snacks could be a bonus, if you are greedy like me.

I guess you can't share any of the photos either.

Fascinating and dedicated desire to game - well done Elbows.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:24 AM »
I'll start takin' pics and cataloguing our campaign for the joy of the readers here...point of fact I was thinking a "Gladiator Gossip" thread would be fun - letting people announce and report on all gladiator games.  I'd like to hear about some of the gladiatorial legends on the forum.  More to come soon!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2014, 07:04:50 AM »

Just a teaser of something in progress.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2014, 08:57:06 AM »
Shiny logo!

come on mate - show us a bit more...