Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Masters of the Universe thread - Stratos (pg. 2)  (Read 8644 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Masters of the Universe in 28mm: Panthor and Skeletor!
(reposted from http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/07/masters-of-universe-in-28mm-panthor-and.html)

I mentioned acquiring some old 28mm Masters of the Universe figures (produced by Grenadier in the 80s) several months ago, and I've finally gotten a start on them. While working on my Etherian Horde and Avion Warriors for Dreadball I was thinking about the coach models for my teams. Since I have no Hordak figure at the moment my thoughts immediately turned to Skeletor.

My Orx/Goblin team the Snake Mountain Smashers are going to be Skeletor's, even though thematically it would make more sense for them to be Caligars coached by Whiplash. Perhaps later on I'll do another team for that. The Smashers aren't ready for prime time yet, but their coach is all set for his debut appearance.

The paint work was pretty simple. Army Painter Crystal Blue for the skin, a little GW Liche Purple mixed with AP Uniform Grey for the cloth on his armour, and P3 Greatcoat Grey for the leather armour bits. Matte black for the spear shaft and fuzzy shorts, gloss black for his claws. GW Bleached Bone for the bones on his chest and P3 Thrall Flesh for his face. I painted his eyes white first and then put some Tamiya Clear Red over top, as well as on the gem in the middle of his chest. Finally I used GW Gorthor Brown for the straps on his back.

To finish things off I gave him a liberal coat of GW Badab Black, then highlighted the skin with AP Electric Blue. A quick dry brush on his underoos with GW Fortress Grey and some standard basing work to finish.

Naturally Skeletor needs his favourite pet: Panthor. In the assortment of models I received there was a Battle Cat, but no Panthor. In fact, the range never included a Panthor figure to my knowledge. I had tested out some of my Army Painter quickshade dip on a sabretooth tiger model from Horrorclix and happened across it in a drawer. "Perfect," I thought, and set about painting it purple.

I think he turned out great, especially considered how mediocre I thought it looked as a sabretooth tiger. It was an easy paint job to put together: AP Alien Purple, GW Bleached Bone, Testors Gloss Black, P3 Flesh and a very liberal dash of GW Leviathan Purple wash. His eyes were done by painting them white, applying a light wash of GW Thraka Green wash, and then a tiny dot of P3 Necrotite Green on top.

Panthor is pretty intimidating size-wise compared to the MotU figures (Battle Cat is even BIGGER!), because they're pretty much true 25mm figures. I suppose on their bases they're 28 - 30mm, but compared to more contemporary figures they're quite small. I'm not too concerned about that though, simply because they're awesome.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:10:03 PM by obsidian3d »
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: obsidian3d's Masters of the Universe thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
Nice paintjobs!
What a fun idea as well!
 :-*

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Thank you. I'm not sure if I'll paint them all at once or as I get around to their teams. I would like to make a grey skull and snake mount terrain piece at some point too, but that's long off in the future.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »
Well I'll keeping an eye on this thread - beautiful beginning.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Wow nice paintjobs and thank you, I just had a trip back through memory lane...

Regards,
Za

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
For moi, the memories that revolve around He Man are of my Boys playing with the Action Figures & glued to the TV show. That aside, the minis painted up WONDERFULLY...WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Online infelix

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
I completely loved the show and comics growing up so I'll definitely keep my eyes on this project. The painting is wonderful, you really captured the characters of them.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »

Skeletor is one of my favorite bad guys.  Like Wile E. Coyote and to an extent Dr Doom, I end up rooting for Skeletor somewhat, largely because his cause is pretty much 100% hopeless and his nemesis is a sanctimonious jerk.

I didnt know that there were official MotU 25mms.  Those two look great.

I had plans to turn a sabre-toothed tiger mounted barbarian from EM4 model into a Battle-Cat mounted He-Man a few years back, but never got around to it and traded it away.  They dont seem to stock it any more now it appears.

Were there many models in that Grenadier MotU range?  What characters did it cover?  Did Trap-Jaw make the cut?  I always quite liked that guy.

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »
Great stuff, I am also trying to collect the range, but only have one set so far. There actually was a Panthor made, but it was never officially released.

I would like to make a grey skull and snake mount terrain piece at some point too, but that's long off in the future.

The Icon Heroes castle grayskull scales very well with the figures if you'd prefer to buy one (note, those are not my pictures).

Apparently they're coming out with new add-ons bits for it, as well as a proper Snake mountain:

I assume you know of the Heresy Miniatures not-Orko figure?

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
The castle is in better proportion than I thought. I had heard about it but could never find any photos to use for scale comparison. And if there's a snake mountain in the works...SOLD.

I do have the Orko as well. He'll fit in with the group very nicely.

Oh and yes, there was a Trap Jaw figure. I think there's one in my box of toys. As to how many figures were in the Grenadier line I'm not quite sure. I've got to do some thinking about how to create an Evil-Lyn and Sorceress for my collection.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
Awesome!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

I have two of the Grenadier Skelator variants myself but I've been unable to win any more. Some months back was a very near miss where there was a big lot miscategorized and I thought I had a real shot, but in end I low-balled it cos to make up for overspending elsewhere and lost out.

I've daydreamed what it would take to license a new range of figs. A buddy of mine GMs a rather freeform ostensibly GURPS MOTU game and it's a blast.

Can't wait for more and maybe I'll have a hand at mine.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
Fantastic work.  I'd love to see these in person as I was a huge MOTU fan as a kid.  Very inspirational!
and I want both of the castles too... ;)
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »
I'll bring them next time James. I'll definitely be buying the castles now as well. Tabletop MotU gaming shall be mine!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
As said on the blog this awesome. Is that Hasslefree chick anygood to you?

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=delphine~hfh064&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
She's on my to-buy list for theme alone! I'm not sure whether I'd use her as my She-Ra or not though.