Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690458
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Northwest Fronter goodness  (Read 7829 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Northwest Fronter goodness
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »
Hello all, I am looking at geting some NW fronter action going on, Thinking of the Man who would be king idea.
I have a few questions, like dose any one have any good resorce sites for the fighting on the fronter.
Also how do Old glory, foundry, and redout mins stack up aginst each other?
are they compatable?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Northwest Fronter goodness
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
Also how do Old glory, foundry, and redout mins stack up aginst each other?
are they compatable?

Well now then...

Foundry's Afghan tribesmen are by the Perrys, and there are only about 20 different figures but they are beauties.  Supplement them with Sikh Wars figures from Foundry, also by the Perrys. This is a huge range. I also use almost all the Copplestone (for Foundry) Darkest Africa Baluchis, and quite a few of the Zanzibaris pass muster too. I have over 100 NW Frontier tribesmen assembled from these sources - all Foundry, all fit in quite well together, although the Copplestone figures are a teensy bit taller, but not as tall as his own later stuff for his own company.

The Old Glory Pathans are really rather crude I'm afraid. They scale in alright, but are pretty ropey looking sculpts.

I haven't looked at the Redoubt NW Frontier - didn't even know they did them. I do do have a few Redoubt colonial Brits mixed in with my British and Indian army forces which are a mix drawn from various Foundry ranges plus quite a lot of the old Essex Sudan range. Redoubt are definitely on the tall side, and not as well made as Foundry.

I guess the British Colonial figures of choice now would have to be the superlative Perry Sudan range - the Highlanders in particular are gorgeous. One would think that these should scale in pretty well with their earlier work for Foundry, although Perrys own 28mm stuff, seems to me to have got a little more diminutive and stocky recently...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
Foundry's Afghan tribesmen are by the Perrys, and there are only about 20 different figures but they are beauties. 

unfortunately they're currently withdrawn from the web, wanted some of them  >:(

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah Redout dosnt do a NW range, I was just looking at there page and had them on the mind.
So I was looking at the oldgloy range to flush out some of the mins I cant seem to find other places. Such as I  really dont like the look and poses of the Foundry mounted hill tribes, and I cant find any one with gattling guns and crew. Kind of looking at the Afgans and the Brits.
I have on order a mess of foundry NW hilltribes, and Highlanders, guides, and shiks. I was looking to see in the old glory mins would floush out guns and packs.
Thanks agine this is helpful.
I was on the foundry site and the hilltribes are still posted up on there.

Also I completly forgot about perry mins. I am going to go check them out also.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:58:17 PM by commissarmoody »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:51:43 AM »
Whilst you have not mentioned Castaway Arts in your quest for suitibility may I say seeing these lovely chaps they are very compatible. Also Askaris miniatures also do some limited NWF too.

http://www.castawayarts.com.au/

http://www.askari-minis.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=99b59c201c5eea26acd60acb7e7911f7

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:33:20 AM »

Second the Castaway arts lovely figures and Gerry does some figure types not seen in other ranges like Brits in greatcoat ( in get's cold in the hills, especially at night). For variety ther are some useful figures in Eureka's Turkish Pirates range.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
thank I didnt even know about castaways or askari minis I will check them out

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »
Whilst you have not mentioned Castaway Arts in your quest for suitibility may I say seeing these lovely chaps they are very compatible. Also Askaris miniatures also do some limited NWF too.

http://www.askari-minis.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=99b59c201c5eea26acd60acb7e7911f7

Oooh yes. Some of those Castaway Pathans are very nice indeed... Might have to add a few of those. You can never have too many NW Frontier tribesmen... (Like pirates, really)

Any idea if they have a UK or European distributor?

Thanks.  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 12:05:34 AM »

Oooh yes. Some of those Castaway Pathans are very nice indeed... Might have to add a few of those. You can never have too many NW Frontier tribesmen... (Like pirates, really)

Any idea if they have a UK or European distributor?

Thanks.  :)

Hi, As I'm not sure my best suggestion is to contact Gerry at Castaway Arts.

He does visit Historicon every year.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
I've ordered from Castaway a few times, first class service and Gerry is a real gentleman. Best delivery was 4 days from Australia to the UK, can't say fairer than that and the figures are lovely.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 04:37:54 AM »
We've got a couple of Pathan packs as well from Tiger. Not my favorite of his sculpts, but they'll add something like 20 different poses to the natives.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »
Well I have a bunch of foundry mins heading my way now, some highlanders, some guides inf and cav. Also some shiks.
Also two hord sets of afganit hill tribes, I am going to get some old glory mounted panthans and sword armed ones to help fluseh out the numbers, Now I need feld peaces and cannons for the lot.
Question would Gattlingun crews be panted blue or would they ware the uniform of what ever force there in. The ones I am geting are just in your standed inf get ups and didnt really know what branch of the service they would fall under?

Also dose any one have an idea what the argane army was kited up in dearing the 1879-1844 war? Just on the off chace I can find some some were.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 09:54:48 PM »
wow the tiger range is pretty extinsive it self, any whats peoples oppians on how they stack up aginst the other ranges size and campatablitay wise.
I am being spoled with chooses here, :D

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »
not got any Tiger or Castaway myself but the latest releases from both have sorely tempted me. The new release from Tiger last week looked fantastic and I think it is only a matter of time before I buckle.

I hope they will turn up at a show so I can see them in the flesh but I may not be able to wait that long.

I ordered some Askari Miniatures recently to try and they have been wonderful to paint
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »
hello ever one, now that I have a few orders out of the way.
 any one have pics of or ever purches the Foundry NWF Afrgan army figs? For use in the 1878-184 campagine into said contry?or if any know of any one else that manufatures conparable mins in another range, that would be kool to.