Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Brigade Games Gladiator WIP (upd. 08.09.13)  (Read 13465 times)

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
New Brigade Games Gladiator WIP (upd. 08.09.13)
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
The Crupellarius and Scissor

Provocator and Retiarius

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:59:38 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: New Brigade Games Gladiator WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:31 AM »
Bazenga!  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
Nice ones. :)
Not sure about equipment detail (the scissor's short mailshirt) and posing (retiarius on attack before casting his net?), but there you go. Nice nevertheless.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:03 AM »
The net I had seen from a reconstruction and thought that was new and seemed a perfect place to keep the net. On page four of the Osprey Gladiator book shows what looks like a contemporary illustration of a scissor in a short mail shirt.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
The net I had seen from a reconstruction and thought that was new and seemed a perfect place to keep the net. On page four of the Osprey Gladiator book shows what looks like a contemporary illustration of a scissor in a short mail shirt.

Don't have the book at hand, maybe it's referring to this depiction from Bodrum?

Might well be a scissor, of course. And my perception to date, that scissores compensated their lack of shields with full body armour (based on Junkelmann reconstructions), might be totally wrong as well. Live and learn. ;)

Still, it looks like the retiarius could easily entangle himself if he wanted to pull the net from his protected shoulder in the heat of the fight. After all, it's one of his primary weapons, and he should at least have tried to cast it before closing in with the unwieldy trident. Anyway, just a thought – and personal preference.

PS: Congrats to the latest Hicks offspring! :)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
Lovely figures as usual.

Really like the retiarius. Very good action pose and a nice change from the usual. Might be a gladiator that has just reclaimed his net (as it is obviously no longer attached to his wrist) and is now going after his opponent with a vengeance.

Best rendition of a Cruppelarius I ever saw. Simply looks like the walking tank he's supposed to be.

Scissor ( later Arbelas) looks great too. I personally would have preffered him in scale armour and crested helmet as in the Nossov book, but this one looks like a perfect adversary for a retiarius too. And who knows this figures might prove so immensely popular that Paul will have to sculpt dozens more.  :D

Provocator looks very impressive too. Beautiful helmet!

Not sure how many will be in this first set but as soon as it's ready I'll order them from Lon. Simply a matter of avoiding too much P&P and most of all the dreaded Customs robbery.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »
Lovely - all of them!

I really like the retiarius' stance, but will keep my thoughts on the net to myself.

Will there be a 5th miniature to this group, like in the last?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
'Crupellarius and Scissor' really happy to see these two added. Please keep adding the rarer Gladiator types to the collection.

These really are lovely sculpts. Congratulations on how their turning out.

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
very nice, some figures i intend to buy when the range is expanded!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
I like them...and while I've been pouring over several books, none of them look out of place to me.  I've seen plenty of illustrations where the scissor is depicted with chain skirt, and some with just heavy padded stuff.

I would like to see a pair of scissor poses, and a pair of secutor poses so that we can refight some of the retiarius vs. paired secutor/scissor fights.  All of the sources I've seen mention or depict them occasionally fighting in pairs against the retiarius.  So two poses would be nice.  Heck I do think it'd be nice to essentially have two poses/sculpts for each type of fighter.  Gives you some variety and allows the fairly common matches between matched classes.

I do hope a Dimachaerus rounds out this group of five.  It's also awesome to see a second Provocator so they can fight each other.  I will be ordering this set when available for sure. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
Love these and the others. Been meaning to do Gladiators for ages. I got close once. lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
Just got mine in the mail...look fantastic.  Unfortunately it's raining, so I'm not sure I'll get to prime them (need something to paint tonight! ARGH!).

Scale looks pretty inline with Foundry, maybe a bit smaller...definitely not as "chunky".  Detail is fantastic on the minis though, really superb.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »
EDIT: Problem addressed by Brigade Games - page 2.

I have to put my foot in my mouth.

I started working on preparing the minis, and found a rather serious flaw: All three of the scutums have been poorly cast and have holes in the center plate...seen here.  I'll be emailing Brigade Games, but these shouldn't be shipping like this (and I'm assuming mine won't be the only ones).  One of the mini's bases is also a bit warped (missing metal)...but luckily it's the base and not a more crucial part of the mini.

The sculpts are quite excellent...though I have run into two molds lines.  Fortunately I hate using metal shields and I have a box of plastic Roman legionaires on the way, and I'll be using their shields, but they need to fix these stat.  I realize it's an easy fix for a common gamer or builder, but it's a flaw for sure.

:-[

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:19:07 AM by Elbows »

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
Fortunately that's a flaw that can be easily covered up with a bit of green stuff. But yes its something they need to rectify!

If you have time to put up a photo comparison of the Brigades next to Foundry, that would be appreciated.

Cheers Marc.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
Will do, I'll have one of the minis done tomorrow evening, so it'll be mounted/based etc.  These are a little more difficult to paint than the Foundries but not too tough (some more rough edges, and generally more realistic body shape/size which makes the brush work a bit more difficult.