Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LoTR Project Update - First game (no pics yet)  (Read 1285 times)

Offline steharan

• Librarian
LoTR Project Update - First game (no pics yet)
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals

Well I've been cracking on with my LoTR on a Budget Project and have managed to amass quite a pile of plastic and lead (some of which is for sale or trade over in the Bazaar). However I have recently had my first game in over 8 years using the Return of the King Rules and I'd like to ask any of you good forum members if you can point out the differences between this set and the newer Hobbit version. Both my opponent and I thoroughly enjoyed the game, didn't really find any major flaws and in general enjoyed the storytelling aspect however I have heard that the newer rules improve on both this set and the "One Rulebook".

Any thoughts/comments from you chaps/chapesses?

Note:I did a write up on the blog as usual - http://offtclub.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/lord-of-rings-project-update-batrep-of.html

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: LoTR Project Update - First game (no pics yet)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:17:24 PM »
I regretted buying the Hobbit rulebook, so my review is a little skewed.

The book adds a bunch of new rules to the system.  Weapons now have special stikes.  Depending on what you are armed with you could knock an enemy prone, stun them, or increase your strength when attacking your foe.  Monsters get a series of brutal power attacks, giving them extra options in combat as well.  In the character section a number of the special characters also have a ability called 'Burly' which lets them ignore the penalty for using a two-handed weapon.

I enjoy the base LotR rules, and wish I had stuck with that, rather than pay $90 for the Hobbit rulebook.  For that money I would have expected it to contain the stats for characters in all three movies, not just the first one.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline steharan

• Librarian
Re: LoTR Project Update - First game (no pics yet)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
 Oh I have no intention of buying the Hobbit book unless it comes along very cheaply.   However I  was concerned that the differences would be so great  as to make games unplayable if both my opponent and I  didn't have the same rulebook.  It sounds like the system remains the same at least!

Thanks  for the update.