Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690628
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just bought a starter pack..... so what have I gotten myself into? :)  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Bigcountry

• Student
I have wanted this game for a while- finally pulled the trigger and got it. So how do the figures scale up to RAFM's investigators? What mythos creatures are in the book? Which ones aren't? Can you tell I can't wait?

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Hello, welcome to the club!

I can't help you with the scale, as I have none of those, but I think "official" range is a bit on the larger side.

Here is a long list of available "lurkers" (so, monsters and general baddies).  While some profiles are named diffrently (Godling is Cthulhu, fishman is deep one etc), some have same names (night-gaunt, for example). You can represent most of them. What is lacking that people notice the most are Mi-Go. If you would want to play a mosnter that hasn't its profile in the book, I am sure opening a topic here would net you bunch of ideas how to represent your favorite. Every profile can have 5 skills, so you can probably simulate just about anything.

Offline Bigcountry

• Student
One thing I like about gaming in the Mythos is the elastic nature of the historic venues available. The mythos and entities are so ancient that i can pretty much use any figures and existing terrain i have that matches the period. I am wondering what a brave group of Russian investigators would do if they were stalking a thing from beyond through the war torn streets of Stalingrad? I have the figures and terrains..... pop in a beasty and your off!

Thank you Mathyoo for the info. I have to start building a collection of otherworldly creatures now!

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
That is correct, anything could do. I came to SA from FOW, so a "boutique" game and I have to say I feel so, so, so much better now that I've came to realisation world doesn't crumble if you tinker the rules a bit. And with how basic they are, its easy to do anything. There are some guys working on Dark ages, someone keeps bragging about using them for Star Wars (making me envious :P), I was thinking about sci-fi Alien sort...etc. Don't get me wrong, scenarios and everything really give you the feel of mythos and other weird horror (you got werewolves but not the vampires, for example), but the core rules are very basic and personally, they're just what you'd need for skirmish games.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
..... someone keeps bragging about using them for Star Wars (making me envious :P)....

That would be me!
 :D

That is a project for the winter, but they may see service in a Spy-fi, James Bond style fashion before then.
 ;)

Bigcountry: Mathyoo has already answered your query.
The only thing I have to add is: Get stuck in, you will love it!

Stalingrad, you say...?
Sounds great!
 8)

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
Having just gotten my stuff and being excited myself, I'd say you've gotten yourself into a great game system and a great community. Be sure to post up your minis and stuff when you get them painted. I love seeing other people's work.

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
The RAFM investigators are much smaller.
For me its a to big difference to use them together.
Hope that helps
Florian

Cultist#83

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
I'm also new to the system, so it's nice to see a few other people starting at the same time.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
The RAFM investigators are much smaller.
For me its a to big difference to use them together.

THIS. I initially had noticed that SA models are VERY large. They're about the same size as some of the Reaper stuff. The SA cultists are easily the width of a pinky-finger taller than most RAFM hero models.

The trick it to use Milliput or something to raise the base height of the RAFM models, if you're interested.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
I've mixed UMW, Reaper Chronoscope and old RAFM Call of Cthulhu figures in the same Threshold list and have no troubles with it scale wise. Some of the RAFM models are pretty small, but not everyone in the world is the same size or height.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
Re: Just bought a starter pack..... so what have I gotten myself into? :)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
I've mixed UMW, Reaper Chronoscope and old RAFM Call of Cthulhu figures in the same Threshold list and have no troubles with it scale wise. Some of the RAFM models are pretty small, but not everyone in the world is the same size or height.

RAFM next to SA or Reaper Chronoscope? That's not a matter of "same height" or "same size", that's a matter of Willy Wonka and Oompa Loompa! :)

The RAFM are much tinier in every respect. It's like fighting a giant Klansmen with a hobbit when you get a Cultist and an RAFM "Private Eye" together.

I favor Copplestone or Murch for scale, but as O3D has pointed out, it's all a matter of personal taste. I have plenty of RAFM guys I've played with alongside the stalwart SA agents, they just look like a 5'4" 100 pound guy next to an NFL lineman. Which is OK...as long as you give the list the appropriate "real-life" modifications such as giving the big guy  "tough" and the little guy a +1 Dex.