Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: new boy needs help  (Read 2718 times)

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
new boy needs help
« on: May 09, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »
new to this forum any hints which lovecraft book
would be a good starting point also any rules
books to wargame cuthullu and figs
cheers ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline Ricco

• Bookworm
Re: new boy needs help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »
Start with "At the Mountains of Madness" if you get through it you will want to read the rest.
Try RAFM for figs for monsters and Brigade, Old Glory, Copplestone, RAFM, Pulp Figures(my fav.)Artizan, RAFM Foundry etc., etc. for humans. Rules always depend on your style.  Role play vs. miniature gaming sort of thing.
We use modified Rugged Adventurers free from Pulp Figures but there are many more wonderful systems out there.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:07:25 PM by Ricco »
Shit Keith ... Not another stinkin air war game!!!!!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
As far as reading material to give you twisted ideas you can't go wrong with 'Tales Of H.P.Lovecraft', selected and edited by Joyce Carol Oates released by Harper Perennial Modern Classics. Good introduction to help get you in the mood and a great set of stories for old/new fanboys alike. Both of my all time favorites appear in this volume; 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth' and 'The Color Out Of Space' not to mention other unmissables including; 'The Call Of Cthulhu', 'The Dunwich Horror', 'At The Mountains Of Madness' and several shorter tales. Great stuff there for sure. Scary Monsters!

As far as games the best (imho) would still have to be Call Of Cthulhu although it is a roleplaying game they have tons of stuff and the game mechanic fits the source material.

I myself am working on a set of skirmish rules based on this very thing...still a while away on those I'm afraid. Other than that I think most folks doctor up an existing rule set...Best of luck.

Offline whisperin_al

• Bookworm
  • Gaming Geek
    • The Wargames Shed
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
I would also suggest At the Mountains of Madness as a start but there are a number of the shorter stories which are quite accessible.  I found a number of them made a lasting impression!

As to gaming it, it will depend on the type of experience you want to have.  The basic premise of Call of Cthulhu is that if you actually meet any of the Great Old Ones then, at best, you will simply go mad.  Fighting them in a wargaming sense (even in Cthulhu Now) is simply not a real option.  The key with the roleplaying game is to create an environment where the players can have small victories but are ultimately doomed.  This atmosphere can be quite difficult to translate to the tabletop though.

Generally if we are playing a mythos influenced game it is against the minions you have some chance, even if only a   minuscule one, of beating - so cultists, deep ones etc.  As to figures, we have tended to stick to 28mm as it allows the mixing in of figures from WW1, Pulp and inter-war genres along with appropriate period vehicles etc.  RAFM produce a range of the mythos creatures (though bear in mind that you may not know what it is even after you've seen the figure!).  I have used West Wind piranha men as deep ones...

...and Pulp Figures, Artizan and Brigade Games all do nice cultist figures.  We did play a game recently using a SOTA Toys Cthulhu (obviously not as Cthulhu himself - it was big but nowhere near that big) and just having it appear on the table told us we were going to be lucky to get out alive!

As to rules, we have tended to stick to ones which allow you to keep the sanity element from the original roleplaying game as it is an essential part (at least in our view) of the mythos.  Of course you could just use the Chaosium BRP Call of Cthulhu rules which are perfectly serviceable and do, of course, include all the elements you are likely to meet.  We tend to use Savage Worlds with the sanity element taken from their Tour of Darkness weird Vietnam supplement.  You can find creatures similar to some of the mythos ones is some of the other supplements.

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
thanks alot you guys will look into those titles
as to figures i collect alot of copplestone figures and artizan
as to rafm is there any one in britain who sells them?
ace67

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Spirit games stocks most of the RAFM Cthulhu stuff in the UK.

http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/cthulhu.php

There's no pics on their website unfortunately, so you have to check everything against the RAFM site to make sure of what you're ordering. Not used them myself (yet), but I've heard they're very good.

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
cheers jollybob that was just the ticket
ace67