Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686646
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Frighteners: Ghost Ability Extraordinary?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
The Frighteners: Ghost Ability Extraordinary?
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:11:56 AM »
Does a model that fails its Resolve check for 'The Frighteners' roll on the Insanity Table, or does it simply take the hit to its Resolve?

I guess the other way to phrase this question would be: "Does any failed Resolve check, for any reason, also cause a roll on the Insanity Table?"
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: The Frighteners: Ghost Ability Extraordinary?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
We've always played it as a Resolve hit only - no Insanity roll required.  You're correct that this is an exception to a normal Resolve check, and the rules should specify it as such.  Most other abilities that work this way state something along the lines of "no need to roll on the Insanity table".

In general, I think what we ought to do in 2nd Edition is establish a separate Resolve test (roll against your Resolve, with specified results should you fail) and an Insanity test (roll against your Resolve, then roll on the Insanity Table should you fail), which would save the need to keep stating exceptions.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: The Frighteners: Ghost Ability Extraordinary?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
Much appreciated oh Lidless One, thank you.

That's how we played it as we thought the potential for the Restless Spirit to cause so much insanity for a mere four points was perhaps to be too good to be true.
Fear, then The Frighteners (a good ability!) and if we had played it wrong, a potential roll on the Insanity Table to be followed my more Resolve checks at a newly penalised Resolve!  ;D :o  Oh the insanity!!!

Fun game last night with a few Restless Spirits covering most of the board, softening up the stalwart Threshold team for a Mojo. The mission was a Treasure Hunt, so the board was already divided up accordingly and the Threshold models were a bit torn between hunting for loot or for the bones of the Mojo...  A solitary Cultist armed with only a .22 provided additional, and effective tension. Good times.  :-*