Forum > Railway Wargaming

15mm armoured train

(1/30) > >>

sukhe_bator:
I thought it high time that I posted my Armoured Train 'Comrade Blyukher' for my Back of Beyond project in full, to illustrate what you can achieve in 15mm...
The basis was the excellent Peter Pig resin model of an armoured Russian Ov loco and tender and armoured trucks.
This is an early set up from several years back showing the PP armoured flat wagon, artillery car, loco and tender, with a converted MG car and box car at the rear illustrating the kind of set up I was aiming for

For maximum flexibility I decided to model the flat wagons with different 'loads'. This wagon is unpainted with a Red Putilov field gun and crew shielded behind an improvised sandbag emplacement.

'Comrade Blyukher' Ov loco and tender. The tender sides have been raised and additional 'log' fuel replaces the original modelling of coal on the resin kit. Some of the insignia is incorrect and need some reworking and I have since added suitably stirring Red banners at strategic points.

The standard twin 76mm artillery car sporting an unusual fir tree camo scheme spotted in an Osprey book

The same showing how effective the camo scheme is in the appropriate setting

The converted MG car with 8 side and two top turreted MGs taken from a PP Austin armoured car

A converted RATIO OO/HO GWR box van kit with wheels cut down and sleeved axles to TT gauge, reduced subframe and roof. It makes a surprisingly effective 5' gauge long wheelbase carriage in Bolshevik livery

The scratchbuilt water tower based on ACW examples since the only photos I could find were the later octagonal brick towers for the Trans Siberian Railway. Early photos of the Trans Caspian railway show water towers on simpler stacked log platforms/staging.

The whole train posed in a fully developed Siberian setting with scratchbuilt station, watertower, refuelling point and village in the background

The same with loading stage/ramp and crane and flatbed for Soviet MkV tank

And in the desert wastes with stunted lineside telegraph poles etc.

The plan now is to develop an improvised second train converting the PP 'General' 4-4-0 Wild West/ACW loco and tender with added sloping armour plate sidings. The Trans-Caspian conflict which is my next project calls for a different set of lineside buildings and an improvised train made up largely of flat wagons 'armoured' with cotton bales, sandbags and planking with field guns and MGs mounted on them...

von Lucky:
Absolutely beautiful! I have this train and it's waiting to get my Winter War project in 15mm under way.

You have inspired me to think about getting it out and least prep it. Thanks.

sukhe_bator:
Glad to hear it - the train is an excellent model and deserves to be better publicised. There are some good camo/paint schemes out there if you look.
One thing to consider with the train is long term storage. The TT wheels are quite narrow and unless you have a snug set of compartments for storage, they tend to tip over. I opted for a magnetic strip glued to the underside of the resin model with the wheels glued onto a card strip with some metal sheet effectively creating a sabot base. This seems to work well for me. The models then sit well in a metal tin/tray when not in use without shifting around.

OSHIROmodels:
That's a great little set up, especially as it's in 15mm  :-* :-*

cheers

James

John Grant:
Very very nice. I wish mine was up to this standard.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version