Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm armoured train  (Read 80653 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: 15mm armoured train
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
And with completed box van and flat wagon (w.i.p.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:55:51 AM by sukhe_bator »
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »
Another shot of Tashkent with some modified Peter Pig 15mm wagons and some armoured wagons with some w.i.p. troops added for flavour. Green stuff sandbagging etc is being added to one to make an improvised covered wagon based on Czech armoured train examples...

And my latest project, an 0-8-0 Russian Ov with the chassis and running gear entirely sculpted from green stuff...Before

And in the process of being added to a heavily modified PP Wild West loco

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:46:43 PM by sukhe_bator »

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 08:23:05 AM »
Nice bit of sculpting Sukhe :)
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »
Thanks Etranger,
these 15s always look so gruesome close up, but overall I'm quite pleased with how my A class loco 'Tashkent' turned out. The plan is now to have an unarmoured Ov loco and tender and a partially armoured loco with toblerone style sloping applied armoured plates to replace my much lamented 'Transcaspia'.
I plan to crop the 2 sets of driving wheels from the pair of Peter Pig Wild West loco kits to make up a second 0-8-0 chassis which means I won't have to sculpt another 8 wheels [phew!] only the running gear. Then I'll construct another body similar to this one onto which I can apply the armour plating. Early train armour was slab sided or angled and only really good against small arms fire. It wasn't until the 30's that multi angled and curved armour appeared. Much as I love the Battlefront FOW armoured trains they are far too late in design. Besides I'm having great fun making my own!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
After a considerable gap tinkering with other aspects of the MallMiss campaign, I've finally got back to the Ov loco conversion. Progress to date on the boiler and details. I have some minor finishing off around the cab (steps to cab) and the front buffer beams, buffers and running lamps remain to be completed...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:36:19 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
Starting to come together.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:09 AM »
Restarting this after a lengthy interval. My modelling is dictated by the types of jobs I can do in lunch times at work (nothing smelly or noisy - so painting and sculpting are fine). After some Milliputing of Westerosi buildings I started on my 2 road engine shed for the Trans Caspian Campaign. A 200mm x 150mm shell of foamcore entirely clad in Millliput brickwork and card and corrugated plastic sheet later. I now have to work on the doors, windows and stonework detailing. Once the shell is complete I'll post a few w.i.p. shots.
During the Easter break I tinkered at home with some railway bits and pieces. I'm now finally onto the sculpting stages of my 2 Ov locos... looking good so far.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:16 AM »
Some w.i.p. shots of the latest additions to the Trans Caspian Railway improvised armoured train. The coach is composed of 3 009 NG quarrymen's carriages to replicate the box like wooden shell with small square windows mounted on an 00 scale wheel frame from an old Airfix kit with wheels cropped to TT gauge.
The British sentries are by Eureka, and the various sandbags and cotton bales sculpted from Milliput.
With no bridges or tunnels and a featureless landscape, the TCR could sport tall rolling stock. The OP is therefore an essential component, and will be defended by 2 MG posts.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »
And finally after a break in the traditional UK Easter Bank Holiday weather... some w.i.p. shots of the TCR Engine shed. The basic shell is foamcore clad in Milliput brickwork and will have plasticard stonework string course detailing and stovepipes, with card and balsa doors and conventional modellers acetate glazed windows.
The whole thing is approx 200mm x 150mm. Seen here with some scratchbuilt track.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 07:58:29 AM »
Good to see this continue and I really like the train shed  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
I'm with Jim - the shed looks great.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
Once again the unseasonal weather provided a chance to show progress with the Trans Caspian Railway.
Replacing the wheels of a Minifgs Model T with 009 railway flanged wheels created a motorised maintenance/inspection vehicle. A modified 009 wagon chassis provides an additional flat wagon for those essential track maintenance jobs.
Inspired by the likes of shandy, I started modelling a modular track laying scenario. The octagonal log staging in the background will be for a water tower featured in an illustration in the Graphic magazine from the construction of the TCR.
And conventional flat wagons provide extra rail stock

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »
I'm not sure of the file sizes of these pics so a second installment of recent wip. Some general shots of the undercoated scratchbuilt TT gauge track prior to painting... The scratchbuilt points/switches proved the hardest to do. The buffer stops will have whitewashed horizontal beams, possibly with the addition of a small red flag..

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
The third and final installment of wip. The beginnings of some examples of improvised armour, first on a Peter Pig tender, with scratch plasticard plating, buffer beams and buffers, with green stuff modelled steps and additional wood supplies made from matchsticks.
An improvised gun platform with armour plating and wooden beams which will also have sandbags and cotton bales. And lastly twin ended MG nests, which will also have  green stuff sandbagging added and possibly corrugated tin roof structures. 

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Some nice progress, that will look pretty good painted.