Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm armoured train  (Read 80664 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: 15mm armoured train
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
Very well done - a got a big "I really should do mine, it can turn out awesome based on what I see" moment.
You should really commit to this. The PP armoured train is a lovely model and a pleasure to work on.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2018, 09:18:55 PM »
Looks great Sukhe!
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »
A little line up of 15mm motive power so far...
2 Peter Pig armoured trains and 3 heavily converted Peter Pig Wild West locos as Russian A and O Class locos

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »
Quite the locomotive depot you've got there!
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
Yep, Etranger, looks like I'm gonna need a bigger Engine Shed!
Upgrading my gun and artillery cars now...
Got a copy of Steve Zaloga's Armored Trains (Osprey - New Vanguard 140) for Father's Day. I'm putting together some bits and bobs to scratchbuild more blindirovs and another loco

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
BTW. I'd be interested to know what mechanisms people use for operating Armoured Trains... I was planning to use TFL 'Triumph of the Will', but they seem to have only an average die roll for movement and specify that a train has to be stationary to fire. This seems too arbitrary and I was thinking there should be mechanics for transitioning through stationary to reverse etc. Also If a plane can strafe with MG fire, why can't a moving train...? I would have thought there are also circumstances where artillery could fire as well (with suitable minuses etc. for range and accuracy.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »
Are there instances a train fired artillery on the move? I planned to use mine in Flames of War, and that covers movement and firing (including MGs) pretty well.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
I've read of instances where armoured trains in the Transcaspian conflict played cat and mouse with one another, hiding behind low hills, spotting the enemy train and opening fire on it only to move to a new position and fire again. Seems to me it would be down to good forward OPs and artillery spotting. I could envisage situations where on board artillery might want to lay down covering fire in a retreat or a suppressing barrage in an attack... especially since the battles were primarily fought along the line of the railway for possession...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
At last, an entire Peter Pig armoured train off the production line...
Sormovo works train No.12 'In Honour of Comrade L Trotsky' in echelon formation with gun car equipped with twin Putilov 76.2mm gun turrets and scratchbuilt MG car top with flat wagons fore and aft. The MG car is built up from scrap wood blocks clad in plasticard and buffers retasked from Airfix 00 wagon kits. MG turrets, side MGs and cast wheel sets kindly provided by Martin at Peter Pig.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:48:51 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »
Comrade Trotsky would be proud!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
Comrade Trotsky would be proud!
I hope so. Not sure whether to go for the whole fluttering banners look as I did for 'Comrade Blyukher'. I was very pleased with the overall look and the clunky looking silhouette. 'Comrade Blyukher' will look unusual too as I'm using 2 PP gun cars but modelling 2 cylindrical gun turrets for one of them.
I hope I can do the White equivalents equal justice. I'm planning a couple of scratchbuilt locos in whole and partial 'toblerone' armour, one a partially clad 2-6-0 Putilov Ya class circa.1900 (see pic) which I can morph from a PP Wild West loco model by sculpting a 3rd driving wheel between the front bogie wheels and the existing drivers. I have a converted 00 scale ballast wagon and a couple of scratchbuilt gun cars on the work table, and the remainder will be composed of blindirovs made from the PP armoured flat cars with field guns etc.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
These trains are superb  :-*

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
The latest loco off the production line, a freelance Ov variant with sloping and slab-sided armour and a 6 wheeled tender. Both are built up on a T shaped wood block and balsa foundation with plasticard and scrap plastic sidings and minor detailing in Milliput. The wheel castings are courtesy of Martin at Peter Pig. The buffers are culled from an old OO kit, the OP turret from a PP gun car and the smokestack cowl is from a plastic screw cover. Finally seen with a unifying olive green undercoat prior to painting. I'm planning for this to be a White Russian loco sporting the striped camouflage seen on Ataman Kalmykov's command train seen in Vladivostock. I have not yet decided on a name, but 'Vityaz', 'Comrade Blyukher's' nemesis seems fitting so I can stage a grudge match at some point.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »
And my first Blindirov, a converted ballast wagon with improvised hard points for HMGs and ports for rifles. This was an old Hornby wagon which seemed to have a similar look to the metal wagons pictured in old photos, though it was much deeper. Once the camo is on it should look the part.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
I've been experimenting with a version of the camo scheme seen on Ataman Kalmykov's armoured train - a speculative system of wavy vertical stripes in narrow black with tan edges over an olive green ground. It is creating a fascinating optical effect...