Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm armoured train  (Read 80652 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: 15mm armoured train
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2018, 07:22:40 AM »
And just to show you I'm not proud about the materials I select for use as the foundation of my models... meet the 'lash express'. I couldn't resist the irony. The diameter of the mascara tube was exactly what I needed for the boiler. Another Ov variant that will be partiallly armoured. All but the steam domes and the chimney will be obscured by sloping armour and the driving wheels will feature Joy valve gear sculpted in green stuff partially visible behind the armour plating.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2018, 07:46:13 AM »
Just completed painting my first 15mm scale entirely scratchbuilt RCW locomotive. This is a freelance model based on a variety of White Russian examples with sloping 'toblerone' armour. It is built up from a block wood and balsa foundation clad in plasticard with Milliput and scrap plastic detailing. The chimney cowl and steam dome are made from a plastic screw cover. I am particularly pleased with the front smoke box door modelling. I've painted it In speculative black and tan striped camouflage seen on Ataman Kalmykov's armoured command train 'Kalmykovets' photographed at Vladivostock in 1919-20, I've styled mine as 'Vityaz' (knight) with suitably inspirational slogan 'For Rus, Sacred, United and Indivisible'. This train famously engaged and defeated the Red Army train 'Comrade Blyukher', so I can stage a wargame grudge match in the fullness of time.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
Superb  :-*

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
Agree - great scratch building and painting!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
Had a 2 week intensive railway modelling session which resulted in a number of new additions to the rolling stock.
First off a scratchbuilt White Russian blindirov with a naval gun in turret. The plan is to add 2 pedestal mounted light guns in the open section with Peter Pig Russian Naval crews. The gun turret was a damaged window insert from an 00 scale diesel locomotive found in my father's scrap box. The barrel is from 2 sizes of metal tubing. I plan to model a tarp connecting the turret to the carriage as seen on some prototypes. It also means I won't have to model the gun mounting or crew.
Second, an adaptation of the Peter Pig gun car with replacement cylindrical turrets culled from an Airfix 00 tanker wagon kit. The maxim gun shields are of 2 different types. The maxim gun barrels are culled from scrap plastic rod fitted with offset scrap white metal muzzles.
Thirdly a scratchbuilt 2-level blindirov with Putliov 76.2mm gun barrels built up from metal tubing, kebab sticks and plasticard copied from the PP cast turret. The sponson is from wooden dowel. A felt tip pen provides the taller cylindrical turrets/top hatches seen in photographs of prototypes.
Additional small detailing will be provided by Milliput and green stuff.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
A birthday addition with minor detailing - 3 Siku 1:100 coaches, approx. the right size and period with some minor detailing (additional roof ventilators made from PECO track pins) and a light touch repaint to suggest side panelling.
By contrast my 2 scratchbuilt Transcaspian railway coaches gained a chassis of sorts.
Plus the 'Lash Express' go a few additional details...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
The latest pic of the converted Hornby ballast wagon converted into a blindirov command wagon in Kalmykovets striped camo. Since this was taken I've added maxim guns to the gun ports...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
2 more views of the White Russian Naval blindirov awaiting two 3pdr Hotchkiss guns ordered from Shapeways.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
Bloody hell ! That's a lot of guns now  o_o

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
Bloody hell ! That's a lot of guns now  o_o
:D Yep. Ever since I gained confidence in scratchbuilding and read about multiple train actions in TransCaspia I've been quietly working on a whole range of rolling stock and locos.
I aim to have 2 Soviet armoured train echelons and 2 white Russian equivalents so I can stage a grudge match between 'Comrade Blyukher' and 'Vityaz' on the TranSiberian. I'm also wargaming the Malleson Mission in TransCaspia along the Transcaspian railway. That requires 2 Transcaspian provisional Govt. lesser armoured train echelons 'Transcaspia' and a n other, and 2 Tashkent Soviet equivalents.
I also have an additional 4 converted wagons (2 for infantry and 2 for cavalry) and plan a rake of 3 oil tankers and water wagons... 

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
The oil tankers could be useful at Baku !!!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2018, 07:27:01 AM »

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2018, 09:14:56 AM »
Interesting ! Thanks Sukhe !

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
Some excellent progress - love the effort you're putting into these.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »
And the latest pics of 'Comrade Blyukher' in echelon formation sporting a scratchbuilt 2-tier gun car