Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm armoured train  (Read 80666 times)

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
Re: 15mm armoured train
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »
Wow ! Superb work  :-* The result is awesome ! Bravo !

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
Wow ! Superb work  :-* The result is awesome ! Bravo !
Thanks Byblos, I'm quite chuffed with the results. I just spent a lunch hour sculpting a tarp for the naval gun blindirov out of card and milliput. The 2 Shapeways 1:96 Hotchkiss have arrived and I want to model 2 gun shields for them. They are lovely models but quite spindly, so I have to watch my fat fingers! All I need now is to order some Russian Naval gun crew from PP.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Excellent work Sukhe! I am really enjoying the rise of your railroad empire  lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
After a considerable hiatus I'm using furlough to review my collections. First on the workbench will be to complete freelance White Russian Armoured train 'Vityaz' with blindirov equipped with a 6 inch naval gun and 2 shapeways 1:100 3 pdr deck mounted Hotchkiss awaiting Russian naval gun crew. Second, an armoured command unit from a converted 00 Hornby ballast wagon. Third, the final wagon on 'Vityaz' is a converted Peter Pig gun carriage with scratchbuilt additional rifle ports, round turrets sporting plasticard gun shields. There will be final tweaks before being painted in Kalmykovets striped camo...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
More improvised wagons on the workbench, 2 converted box cars from 00 Ratio kits to simulate the popular low-tech concrete-lined freight cars used in both the RCW and WWII. Guns and ports, hatches and stove pipe are scratch additions (awaiting chassis frames and a set of Peter Pig bogies to be cut down into 2 axle versions). The more complete wagon is an earlier attempt to convert a narrow gauge 009 box van with 00 sized chassis and wheels. The wheel diameters are a little large making it ride a little higher than I'd like but it will serve. The second image shows a rougher pair of 00 Ratio SR cattle wagons cut down and narrowed - also requiring modified wheels. They are set with a Peter Pig ACW/Wild West bogie box car for scale comparison.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2020, 11:48:52 PM »
Great to see you back at it Sukhe. Excellent work as always  :-* :-*

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
Excellent  :-*

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2020, 07:08:44 AM »
Trying hard to use up all the bits from the plastic kits is hard. I'm attempting to use the original wheel sets cut down to TT gauge and remounting them on cropped axles. The problem is then marrying up the cut down chassis frames with the bodywork. The standard of kitbashing would make a railway modeller weep but what the eye don't see etc. etc. By Ratio I mean of course the Dapol 00 kits that used to be Airfix back in the day. I have 3 tanker wagons waiting in the wings that are looking more promising and it is very much a learning experience. Hopefully a paint job will cover a multitude of sins. Unlike other projects it is proving a slow, painful process...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: 15mm armoured train July 2020
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
The cattle wagons are intended to stand in for horse transport for a detachment of cavalry to debouch from at short notice. I'm using furlough time to try and finish off a variety of stalled modelling projects. The blindirovs now have buffer beams and axles and I'm kitbashing 3 tanker wagons to approximate early oil tanker designs prototyped by the Nobel Bros. that operated out of the Baku oilfields. They are very much a wargamers interpretation/approximation of the original designs but should serve as set dressing and juicy targets for artillery as seen in photos of the aftermath of the fighting at Dushak, Turkmenistan in Oct. 1918.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:29:08 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: 15mm armoured train July 2020
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »
The latest activity on the Trans Siberian Railway...
Fresh out of the workshops two more blindirovs roll off the production line, riding a little higher on the Dapol/Airfix axles than I'd prefer but they will serve as representations of the concrete lined freight wagons utilised on the TSR.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:29:23 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: 15mm armoured train Aug 2020
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »
Two further armoured train elements...
Using up the spare bits from the modelling scraps - an armoured wagon composed of Dapol/Airfix tanker wagon parts with scratchbuilt 76.2mm Putilov guns made from aluminium tube, plasticard and cocktail sticks. It is mounted on a wooden chassis clad in plasticard with Peter Pig half wheel castings from the armoured train kindly provided by Martin from way back when.
A scratchbuilt open freight wagon converted for use by a rifle detachment similar to those seen in use in photographs of White Russian armoured trains. A plasticard superstructure mounted on Peter Pig bogie wheels with carpet tacks as buffers. It is equipped with a central gable roofed refuge.
Posed next to the Peter Pig armoured open wagon for scale
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:29:48 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
Excellent  :-*

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2020, 11:10:49 AM »
A few hours of modelling later... The wagons assume an identity as components of the White Russian train 'Mstitel' (Avenger) documented as being part of Kolchak's Army of Siberia. The blindirov freight wagon is based on one photographed in Vladivostok in Jan 1919. My converted 00 goods van has the MG port on the left side but is otherwise as faithful a representation as I could manage. 'Avenger' is known by name only so I have merged a 2-tone camo scheme known to have operated in TransCaspia with speculative White markings. The part-armoured loco 'lash express' will form the motive power.
My other 'blindirov' has been added to the roster of White Russian train 'Vityaz'. It will have 2 different loads - a rifle detachment or a pair of artillery pieces. It is shown in Kalmykoviets camo awaiting weathering and detailing.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »
For the sake of completeness - the blindirov freight wagon. And I really must find that missing MG gun shield or make a replacement!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
Great progress  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels