Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What other nations should be on Venus to oppose the Spanish?  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Bigcountry

• Student
Re: What other nations should be on Venus to oppose the Spanish?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
French Foreign Legion and perhaps Americans would be awesome. Lots of figure choices and background to play with.

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 04:09:06 AM »
French Foreign Legion and perhaps Americans would be awesome. Lots of figure choices and background to play with.

The OP already eliminated both.

Brazil might be a choice, especially in conjunction with Portugal.

I think your elimination of the Turks is perhaps a bit hasty. Not that many people are doing Turks. Although I would love to eventually. Certainly more Japanese out there than Turks, I think.

Of course, India is part of the British Empire, otherwise I might recommend them. Same goes for Egypt.

Mexico, perhaps. What if the mineral required for flight were found in Mexican mines? That would have the potential to create both a strong military and incredible wealth. Subtropical location is better for a launch, too. Yucatan Downport of Cozumel, anyone? Might even get that Maya/Aztec flavor in there.
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »

3) .... China or even Japan would certainly be considered.

Nobody has put forward a case for either China or Japan so,

3C) China - In most fictional Colonial periods China is being colonized rather than doing the colonizing. But here's a couple of story hooks: deposits of the rare earth needed for Aeronefs was discovered in Tibet, various orders of militant monks organized expeditions to Venus to liberate indentured laborers (mostly chinese but buddhists) who had been lured there by less scrupulous Colonial powers. There was a revolt on Venus resulting in the Asian Venusian Confederacy. Led by more than one order of monks, the former indentured workers have discovered rich deposits of Wingardium (the stuff that makes Aeronefs soar) on Venus. They hope to build a strong base on Venus, return to Earth with fleets of Aeronefs and unite all of China and Asia against the white devils.

3J) Japan - In order to remain at least a Major Power if not a Great Power the Japanese felt they had to colonize off-world. Mars was locked up (curse the British). But the Japanese felt the climate of Venus gave them some degree of advantage. Luckily they discovered deposits of Cavorite (or the secret to growing Liftwood?) in their Manchurian enclave and this gave them enough Wingardium to build the ships needed to reach Venus where even larger deposits are to be found.
Pendrake

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
Nobody has put forward a case for either China or Japan so,

Tibet, various orders of militant monks

Tibet occasionally features as a gateway for eg Cthulhuesque travel (Plateau of Leng etc) so you might not need aeronefs to travel, also gets a chance to add in moon-beasts, purple spiders etc
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
And, who can have enough purple spiders, eh?

Still the idea of Buddhist monks using air-Cthulhu...  :o

Doug

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
or Hawaiian nationalists/insurgents.

No need, at the period we largely play in Hawaii was an independant kingdom, recognised as such and forbidden from invasion (other than openly declared war of course) due to signed treaties. The Kingdom of Hawaii is something I've considered a few times as an alternative to say British involvement. They had very close ties to Britain in the later part of the 19thC, largely as a block to the demands of the US. If you don't want British troops, you could use Kingdom of Hawaii troops as 'proxy' forces with British support in the way of steam tech etc.

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline SaxonHalfling

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuummmmm you could have non nation states or rebel groups such as
- expoler company for and againist all motived my sceince and discovery- allows the fielding or wierd science and generic troops
-large company such as the east india company or your own e.g. insert object or direction, insert country or place and company = company name
-wierd relgious cult
-rebel groups fealing earth to return and liberate their homaland from their imperial overlord

workerBee

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
The OP already eliminated both.

<snip>

I think your elimination of the Turks is perhaps a bit hasty. Not that many people are doing Turks. Although I would love to eventually. Certainly more Japanese out there than Turks, I think.

<snip>

As the OP (and an American) I wanted something other than the US because I wanted smaller powers (although one can argue the US was a smaller power then.)

I will consider what you say about Turkey being a possibility.

Gracias,

Glenn

former user

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »
The Kingdoms of Aethiopia and Siam
unconquered empires of their own, modern army, regional power, etc
otherwise China and Japan of course.

the usual European colonial powers are boring evidently

maybe a colony of Ruritania?

why not FFL? just curious....

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »
hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuummmmm you could have non nation states or rebel groups such as
- expoler company for and againist all motived my sceince and discovery- allows the fielding or wierd science and generic troops
-large company such as the east india company or your own e.g. insert object or direction, insert country or place and company = company name
-wierd relgious cult
-rebel groups fealing earth to return and liberate their homaland from their imperial overlord

Really like the first idea. The 'large company', as in your example, tends to be indistinguishable from mother country, as it's oft their troops covering things. To some extent the same for 'the oppressed', though we see plenty of CSA and Fenians in posts as stand-alones.

Would definitely change the flavor or campaign, I'd think. Mayhaps he'll let in a few once the setting is, er, settled.  :D

Doug

workerBee

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »

I wanted to avoid the Bigger powers since I had Spain there already miniature wise.  That meant France (and FFL) were out as were the named countries in the OP.

Gracias,

Glenn

As above I wanted (initially at least to avoid

workerBee

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
1) No British, French (especially FFL,) American, Ottoman, Russian, or Prussian troops should apply  ;)  Already done by too many others...

2) I already am thinking Austro-Hungarian for one other nation but a third would be [perfect for triangular competitions.]

3) Latin American nations would have great potential but Asian ones such as China or even Japan would certainly be considered.

4) Minor European powers and Middle Eastern nations would be happily considered.

5) Pacific oceanic nations or African probably would need a "back story" to justify - please provide an example if you suggest one of them such as Fiji, or Hawaiian nationalists/insurgents.

<snip>

This was my OP and I wanted Third Tier colonizing nations and nations that were not going to become Superpowers later in "reality" history.  I really considered the USA but thought that it wasn't a initial choice that I was comfortable with including (although it has been pointed out that the SAW would be an interesting war if the Spanish had significant VSF capability like Submarines and Aerial forces that the US didn't.)

Gracias,

Glenn

former user

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
I understand, but I was referring to the "especially" not FFL statement

workerBee

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
I understand, but I was referring to the "especially" not FFL statement

In part because of the identification of the FFL as  an arm of French Colonial power projection.  That was the main reason.

In part because I wanted the Spanish Foreign Legion predecessor units to be the only "La Legion" in the game.  The SFL was organized around 1920, fielded for combat around 1920 for the Riff War of that era, and currently is involved in Peacekeeping missions.  Caveat - Wikipedia link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Legion

Garcias,

Glenn

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
So no to Hawaii then  ;)