Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for WW1  (Read 198472 times)

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
Re: Miniatures for WW1
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »

I'm really curious here.... so why did they stop wearing helmet covers?
[/quote]

There was a tendency for head wounds to result in bits of the helmet cover being driven into the wound - the result usually being that the wound would turn septic.  Once this was realised, the helmet covers quickly disappeared.
[/quote]

Oui, it was for sanitary reasons that Joffre asked for the covers to be removed in june 1916 - 6 months after they put in service. For the same reason it was also forbidden to apply mud on the helmets.
For those who can read French, there's a colour illustrated history of the adrian helmet on this site: http://orkide.club.fr/index.htm (Uniformes > Le Casque) as well as plenty of colour photos of uniforms, insigna, equipment etc...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »
Interesting that other armies continued with helmet covers and mud and such, and weren't too bothered about infection.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »
French, you know. I guess infection was just an excuse, the real reason being la mode.

If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
French, you know. I guess infection was just an excuse, the real reason being la mode.

Indeed. The army was almost divided over the choice between light-blue or kahki coloured covers...  ;)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
Can't remember if these have been added to the list already, but Brigade Models in the UK do a small (but perfectly formed) range Great War Belgians:

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Frames/GW28/index.html

Very nice they are too. :D

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
They are there

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »
Sorry about that!

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
Why sorry? Better one Model quotet more than once than one missed :)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2008, 06:06:36 AM »
Added Blaze Away to the list.

Offline blazeaway

• Lurker
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »
Added Blaze Away to the list.
Thanks for that.

We promise to have the WW1 images up on the site in a week.

These are indeed the old Dominion Miniatures figures - plus a few that weren't previously released - like the horseholder and the Australian Light Horse in steel helmets for France. In Europe, the Light Horse started off doing police and recon work, they then played important roles in stopping the German 'last push'. Then the ALH were involved in the breakthrough phase when the speed of mounted troops was a welcome addition. They could famously switch between mounted infantry and cavalry roles.

Cheers,
Michael

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2008, 05:38:11 AM »
The red fire ball called the sun is upon us which means I can take some more photos of the WW1 Battle Honours Range. I've four sets of artillery to show you.

Russian
Field Gun and Crew
[WWIRU-06]

This model came with four crew. The model is representing a Putilov 76.2mm m/02 Field Gun AFAIK. To me it seems oversize, but please let that not detract from the beautiful model it is. The only other small issue was the lugs on the barrel to fit onto the carriage were short and this required a little modelling to fix.
The crew are just really lovely and have a nice feel about them. Good poses all round. The gunner with his out-streched arm could be used as a standard bearer.

Link to Landships:
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/putilov02_76mm_info.htm

Austrian
Field Gun and Crew
[WWIAU-06]
This model came with four crew. The model represents the 8 cm M5 field gun. This model is just so cute and I mean what I say! Fits together well after some cleaning and the crew come very lively and are a nice addition to the range.

Landship link:
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/8cm_feldkanone_m5_walkaround.htm

Serbian
Field Gun and Crew
[WWISB-06]
This model came with four crew. Now I've a problem with this artillery piece as its the 7.7cm Feldkanone 96 n.A. The Serbian army AFAIK did not acquire this artillery piece. There main artillery piece was the Schneider-Canet or Schneider-Creusot. The four crew are really nice and they need a new field gun!

Germans in Palestine
Field Gun With Crew
[WWIGP-6]

This is the 7.7cm Feldkanone 96 n.A.and its a beautiful artillery model. The model fits together well after cleaning, but be careful of the gunsite as its very delicate. The crew are lovely and the two sitting crew can switch sides which means you can have some variation if you have more than one model.

Landship Link:
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/feldkanone_96_na.htm

Overall, I was very impressed with these artillery models and importantly the crew. Loads of charm all round and my thumbs up!

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2008, 06:49:01 AM »
some very lovely guns and crews, really like them, thanks for posting that! I think I could need that russian and german one.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »
Great shots, Helen. I guess next year some Austrians will be on my order list. Or russians. Or both :D

Honestly - I want to do some eastern front, and thus I need russians. And I need at least some Austrians for the HLBS armored train which is austrian.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »
Thanks Helen. I was pondering picking up one or two of those sets. One of the Serbian crewmen looks like they could pass for Colonel Bailey in one of his disguises also!

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
Serbian
Field Gun and Crew
[WWISB-06]
This model came with four crew. Now I've a problem with this artillery piece as its the 7.7cm Feldkanone 96 n.A. The Serbian army AFAIK did not acquire this artillery piece. There main artillery piece was the Schneider-Canet or Schneider-Creusot. The four crew are really nice and they need a new field gun!

You could use a Schneider 105. Bulgaria ordered some from France but their delivery was suspended when they entered war on the Entente side. Instead, the guns were shipped to Salonika where they were used by the French and the Serbs against the Bulgarians...