Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690494
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for WW1  (Read 198729 times)

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
Re: Miniatures for WW1
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:58 PM »
My God :o, have not seen these in at least 6years, first job Soapy and myself did way back in 2002. Strange BH said that the range never took off. Maybe it was something to do with the piss poor mould making, squashed figures and never cleaning the moulds out. This led to one of the Russian officers that I was very pleased with only having half a mustache when cast!. Maybe the fact that they never had photos up either had something to do with it.

Oh well at least I can look at these and know that I have got a lot better over the years.

Paul

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
"Oh well at least I can look at these and know that I have got a lot better over the years."

they are not that poor Paul but certainly not at your current standard. We have Soapy doing a modern take with The Woodbines so I think you should redo some yourself :D
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »
Helen, Thanks for the pics,

I ws most interested in seeing their guns.

I think they took the barrel dimensions for the Putilov from the later 1930s conversion. That version had a greatly lengthened barrel in a quest for greater range. Sadly they lost mobility and accuracy into the bargain.

The model isn't quite accurate, you would need to add two additional small recuperators to the gun ( no hard task). As such it could be very handy for your Winter War project. It is a little oversize but as you say I think you could get away with it.

Photos of the gun in question here:

http://www.winterwar.com/Weapons/SUartillery.htm#76K02-30
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
Helen, Thanks for the pics,

I ws most interested in seeing their guns.

I think they took the barrel dimensions for the Putilov from the later 1930s conversion. That version had a greatly lengthened barrel in a quest for greater range. Sadly they lost mobility and accuracy into the bargain.

The model isn't quite accurate, you would need to add two additional small recuperators to the gun ( no hard task). As such it could be very handy for your Winter War project. It is a little oversize but as you say I think you could get away with it.

Photos of the gun in question here:

http://www.winterwar.com/Weapons/SUartillery.htm#76K02-30

Thanks Carlos, very appreciated!  8)

Actually, I'm using that model plus the Cannon de MLE 1897 for my Finnish artillery. The former for the Winter War and the latter as a Continuation war piece.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 05:28:19 AM »
In Issue #32 of Wargames - Soldiers & Strategy, there are a couple of pictures of a heavy British field piece and crew.  Does anybody know whose they are? Sorry for the fuzzy photo but I don't have a compatible scanner and I'm still getting used to my new digital camera.

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 06:32:50 AM »
In Issue #32 of Wargames - Soldiers & Strategy, there are a couple of pictures of a heavy British field piece and crew.  Does anybody know whose they are? Sorry for the fuzzy photo but I don't have a compatible scanner and I'm still getting used to my new digital camera.

HLBS?

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2008, 06:58:06 AM »

Seems to be the Mk VI 8" howitzer
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/new_pages/8inch_howitzer_info.htm

Sure this one is 25/28mm?
[Edit] I think I remember two similar (the same?) pieces in the GWM-Diorama, so they must be 28mm.[/Edit]
maybe Old Glory or Foundry? Can't check their sites from work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:36:43 AM by Poliorketes »
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »
My God :o, have not seen these in at least 6years, first job Soapy and myself did way back in 2002. Strange BH said that the range never took off. Maybe it was something to do with the piss poor mould making, squashed figures and never cleaning the moulds out. This led to one of the Russian officers that I was very pleased with only having half a mustache when cast!. Maybe the fact that they never had photos up either had something to do with it.

Oh well at least I can look at these and know that I have got a lot better over the years.

Paul

Bloody hell, they are nice looking biug guns. Are they still available?

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »
There is a second gun position just visible at the top left of the photo.  In the other photo in the article, the crew here appears to be in different poses.  The miniatures are credited to Dave Andrews, GreatWar Miniatures.  Something new, maybe, or specials cobbled up for the article?

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »
Then they are the ones from the GWM diorama.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »
archangel1, I didn’t saw Issue #32 of Wargames - Soldiers & Strategy but If you're talking about the “big gun” of the GWM diorama/game they are indeed HLBS 8” howitzer. IIRC the gun's crew were “scratchbuild”, as many other miniatures for this particular setting by Dave and Aly.

Cheers!  8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
archangel1, For some reason, the picture of the gun you mention didn't appears the first time I logged to this forum...  :?

Now I'm 100% positive! Those are HLBS.

Cheers! 8)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
Well, I guess now all we have to do is convince Richard to re-release the gun!  ;)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
From what I can see on HLBS site, nothing indicate that this Gun isn’t available... :?

http://www.hlbs.co.uk/type.php?id=43

Cheers!  ;)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2008, 05:38:13 AM »
Here we find more Battle Honours WW1 range:

German

Company Command
[WWIGR-01]
This is a very detailed action set. You get two officers, two NCOs an a bugler. In addition you get an additional  officer drawing sword, bugler and NCO at ease. My favourite is the bugler! There is loads of detail on this guy. All are wearing packs except the NCO at ease. The officer drawing sword has a smaller pack. The

77mm Gun
[WWIGR-06]
In this pack you get five crewman alongside the Krupp 7.7 cm FK C 96 n/A.
All are beautiful castings and lovely detail. Full of action this set! I love the officer wiping his brow!

Russia

Maxim Machine Gun & Crew
[WWIRU-04]

This is to me just a lovely set that has many qualities. Very detailed and the crew all have excellent detail. Addtional equipages make this set very worthy for Russian games/collectors.

French

Company Command
[WWIFR-01]
Another lovely set of two different officers an a lovely NCO and my favourite a pidgeon carrier. All up you get two of each cast!

French Zouaves
[WWIFR-9]
Eight different figures in great detail including an officer. Two figures double up to make 10 figures in the pack. The Zouaves infantry have backpacks. These are just the pick of the bunch!

8)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:45:51 PM by Helen Bachaus »