Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for WW1  (Read 197203 times)

Offline soapy

• Librarian
  • I sculpt therefore I eat.
    • My blog, sometimes work, sometimes play.
Re: Miniatures for WW1
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
Trev, you're a star. I've been trying to track these photos down for years, I thought they had been destroyed.

Happy days.

Stay lucky,
Soaps.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »
Are the BH Indian Army miniatures the same as those Brigade has in their catalog?

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »
No, they aren't - the BH Indians have moustaches and pointy turbans (sorry, I'm not up on the nomenclature), while Brigade's Indians are Sikhs - full beard and a more rounded turban. 

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
Sound like Muslims then.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »
Why in wargaming terms do we only seem to recognise Sikhs and Muslims as 'types' of Indian soldier? I've noticed this sort of shorthand before.

There were plenty of soldiers in the Indian Army and Imperial Service Regiments who were neither Sikh nor Muslim. I guess Sikhs sell, as that is what we are most commonly served up with.

I must say I'd like to see these BH figures, as I don't really have much use for Sikhs, but have to use them as generic Indians because there isn't much else about.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »
Anyone fancy some Jats or Rajputs?

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
Rajputs would be great
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »
I must say I'd like to see these BH figures, as I don't really have much use for Sikhs, but have to use them as generic Indians because there isn't much else about.

Thanks to Will Bailie , here there are :

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Indian Headdress
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

For folks who missed my short brief on Indian Headdress on the Brigade Games Yahoo group:

Indian Headdress

You have to be careful with your terms with the Indian army, caste refers primarily to rankings in the Hindu faith, but different races could be the same caste and have different turbans. The distinctions can be religious eg Sikh, racial eg. Ghurkha, both eg Jat Sikh, regional and religious eg Punjabi Musselman and a variety of combinations thereof oh headdress.

Some regiments contained only one type of soldier, and consequently only one type of headgear. Sikhs, Ghurkhas, Garwahlis are all class regiments containing only that type of soldier, though Sikhs crop up as companies in other regiments. Brahmin and Rajputs tend to be grouped together for religious and dietary reasons and had identical (for wargame purposes) headgear.

Other regiments have four different troop types with four different turbans, like the Baluchis, Napier's Rifles etc.

The composition of companies within regiments and apart from Sikh, Ghurkha and Garwahli regiments mostly contain a mixture of races, castes and religions.

Each class had it's own headgear so a regiment with mixed classes would have companies with different headgear.

Sikhs and Dogras Beards, ideally big enough to hide a badger in: remembering that many from the subcontinent grow facial hair at a ferocious rate so a week without shaving would leave many with a reasonable full set.
Clean shaven - Ghurkhas, Garwahlis, possibly Brahmin
Moustaches - most others, though the clean shaven/moustache distinction has a lot to do with age and the ability to grow something presentable.

All native ranks wore a 'Lunghi' or 'Pagri' (turban) as headdress, tied according to their 'class', ie whether they were Sikh, Pathan, Punjabi Mussulman, etc. Underneath the 'pagri' was worn a 'kulla' by Mohammedans and a 'pug' by Sikhs, which were white for cavalry, red for infantry.

The kulla was also worn by Jats (Hindu). Dogras did not wear the kulla.

If you take a Sikh figure, file down the turban, and add a point for the kulla, you will have a figure that in your scale can be a Punjabi Mussulman, or an Afridi.

Book suggestions for use as a guide:

Osprey Elite – The Indian Army 1914-1947
Osprey Men-at-Arms – Indian Infantry Regiments 1860-1914
Osprey Men-at-Arms – The British Army in WW 1 (3)
Osprey Men-at-Arms – Armies in East Africa 1914-18
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »
Better still arm yourself with a copy of Brian Mollo's The Indian Army, the must have guide for all periods of the Raj. Has some great colour plates and fulsome explanation of the different orders of dress.

I'd like to see someone do some head variants for various Indian Army types. Filing off the kullah and adding green stuff  where needed for many other types but Baluchi style headress is a major work.

Of course my pet desire is to see some Indian Army types for the interwar period. Shorts, greybacks '08 webbing etc all good for those Bugle and a Tiger scenarios. Alas it won't happen so one will have to resort to the expensive option of headswaps with Copplestone Brits. :'(
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 05:11:36 AM »
Boris Mollo? Just checked in that book & there are some really nice colour plates of Indian troops in WW1 including one in palestine showing 4 foot & one Lancer.

Better still arm yourself with a copy of Brian Mollo's The Indian Army, the must have guide for all periods of the Raj. Has some great colour plates and fulsome explanation of the different orders of dress.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Indian Headdress
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
Hi Guys,

For folks who missed my short brief on Indian Headdress on the Brigade Games Yahoo group:

Brief?! Unlike Plynkes I am not surprised we are served with simplified sets of indian army troop.  To be honest I think we are are provided with quite a lot of variants. Sikhs, Muslim, Gurkhas, Bengals...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »
Oh, I'm not surprised. Nor ungrateful. It is just that when a small child is spoiled, it leads to them demanding even more.

So just give me some Jammu and Kashmir rifles and you won't hear another peep out of me ...

... Until I get bored with them and have another tantrum, lying on the floor of the toyshop and screaming for something else.  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »
Well, you know that you are our precious little prince and we are not able to deny you anything.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:07:47 PM by hammershield »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 08:54:42 AM »
Thinking about it, the crux of my problem really is that I've been spoiled. I want some figures to represent various Indian troops. Kashmiris, Rajputs, that type of thing. What have I got that comes closest to fitting that bill? Ten identical Copplestone "Muslim" figures, all advancing in that same pose that all his figures seem to have these days. An MG crew, but no officers, no NCOs, no characters.

Compared with other forces in my collection, my generic "non-Sikh" Indian force is dull and uninteresting. But it is the manufacturer's fault, for spoiling me in so many other areas. If I hadn't already been spoiled, I would be quite happy to field this force.  :)

That's why I'm interested in any other non-Sikh Indian figures that might be out there.