Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All over by Christmas? WHGW Delay....  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
All over by Christmas? WHGW Delay....
« on: May 10, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has received a copy of The Great War through mail order yet?

North Star where expecting them "any day now", GB " next week", the WH site says "Preorder".

I have no doubt demand is high and may have outstripped supply, but the postman is getting sick of me snatching stuff out of his hand as he puts it in the letterbox  lol

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: All over by Christmas? WHGW Delay....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:08:49 AM »
Nick has posted on TMP to say that he will have his stock Monday 12th and that pre-orders will go out same day.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:22:05 AM »
Thanks Phil for the update  8)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »
Cheers Phil...

I must be more patient, I must be more patient, I must be more patient.  ::)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
Got mine on Friday (from GW), as I posted on the "Latest Book Received" board.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »
the last I heard from Nick  - which was Thursday was that he expected the books to be released Monday (today) and that my stock shipment was shipping once he got them.

Lon Weiss
BrigadeGames
Boot Hill

http://www.BrigadeGames.com

http://www.BrigadeGamesMinis.com

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/brigadegames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrigadeGames

IG: https://www.instagram.com/BrigadeGames<br /

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »
the last I heard from Nick  - which was Thursday was that he expected the books to be released Monday (today) and that my stock shipment was shipping once he got them.

You should complain, sounds like a blatant attempt to make the US late for the war again  :D

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »
I bought a copy at Warhammer World on Saturday evening.  I was taking part in a Blood Bowl tournament and they had some on sale in the bar area.  I had intended to buy it from North Star but as it was there...

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
I recieved mine from WHH last week.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:03:45 AM »
Finally mine arrived today  :D

Unfortunately I wasn't here to receive it and now I have to fetch it from the sorting office tomorrow... They all have it in for me you know..  ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »
So, may we have a brief review from anyone of you guys having bought it? Please?

Especially about the rules; are they a copy of 40K as rumoured? Or are they something new and different? I fear that this rulebook and T&T may coerce me into battle-gaming (the minis used for these systems are more or less interchangeable, and useable for pulp also  ;D  )
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
So, may we have a brief review from anyone of you guys having bought it? Please?

Especially about the rules; are they a copy of 40K as rumoured? Or are they something new and different? I fear that this rulebook and T&T may coerce me into battle-gaming (the minis used for these systems are more or less interchangeable, and useable for pulp also  ;D  )

Obviously I can't give you a review of something I haven't got.... but;

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=142894

'Captain Haddock' gives a rough outline.

I shouldn't read too much into the fact that they are '40k based' in the same way as when people said WHAB was 'Warhammer Fantasy based' and there was a gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes... when as it turned out they were a well thought out set of rules.

I've yet to be disappointed by a warhammer historical product and I doubt (hope even) that these won't be any different. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll give you my precis of them as soon as.

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
JIm,

Thats the first time someone has given a good answer to my prejudice about warhammer rules. I will look more closely in future.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »
JIm,

Thats the first time someone has given a good answer to my prejudice about warhammer rules. I will look more closely in future.

Thank you.

I was using WH as a Medieval set of rules before WHAB appeared. It was surprising how many people wouldn't play using 'fantasy' rules. A few years on and they were all playing WHAB.

They are by no means perfect but they do give a good game without having to memorise numerous paragraphs and sub-clauses. I particularly like them because a unit is not just categorised on one or two factors.

Under most rules there is a wide gap between 'Regular B' and 'Regular C' (For example), that is reflected in every aspect of their performance. WHAB on the other hand allowed for minor upgrades to single factors to reflect better single qualities rather than an all round upgrade.

In context of a 20th Century game this could mean that having 'Guards' type troops with just a single point increase in leadership over line troops reflects them not being actually better all round soldiers, but either just thinking they are or being slightly more disciplined. Whereas 'Veterans' might be more effective at shooting, but have no better leadership (for whatever reason you like) than unblooded troops.

Obviously I could go on at length and I'm resisting that, but it is my belief that despite being a simple mechanism, they are more subtle than many realise and this comes out in how you play rather than how well you've memorised the rules.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »
Is Gripping Beast's site down? I haven't been able to get onto it today to order GW GW with their special offer. :(

Like helen, my main interest in the era will not be the Western Front although one of our club members has approx 50 each german, Brits & French with some support weapons. I'm hoping to play more East Africa then Palestine.

Just wondering if anyone has received a copy of The Great War through mail order yet?
Cheers,
Poiter50