Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sailors manning deck guns  (Read 5231 times)

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
Sailors manning deck guns
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
In order to make sure that Baku is saved for the revolution I need a small naval presence in the Caspian.  I found some Old Glory guns, hotchkiss and maxim, at Carronade today but who makes sailors manning deck guns in 25/8mm?  Doesn't matter what nationality.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Sailors manning deck guns
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
Eureka has some nice models.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
There is a great lack in such miniatures. I am myself looking for naval crews and cannot find more than the following:

Indeed Eureka/Fighting 15's has a crew of 3. British uniformed crew figures, but barefooted.

OG in their Boxer rising range have pack CBP-09 with naval artillery crews, which suppose to include Russian sailors as well. I say suppose because my pack had universal figures mostly german type headgear, i.e. there was no french sailors with pompoms etc. All pressed to man my Hochseeflotte. link:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=228

Another source is London Warroom in US offering generic naval crews: artillery crews open handed or with shells, landing party, fire fighting sailors even one figure swimming with life ring.

Last but not least some Pulp Figures americans may also be pressed in service.

As for officers, you must dig in various command packs of various manufacturers to find a couple of suitable figures. Just a small suggestion: Since your vessel is in colder climates than mine, you may also use the excellent officers figures Pulp figures has as Zeppelin trooper crew PGS-20

http://www.pulpfigures.com/catcode.php?range=Germans&code=PGS&number=20&custID=87203642271210453752

I wish someone might produce 3-4 sets with bridge crew and officers, artillery crews, deckhands / unarmed, etc. I also wish to have different heads for various nationalities.

argsilverson

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »
I forgot to add:
.- Perry Miniatures Sudan Range british naval Brigade.
I have seen only the photos in their website and seem to be escellent.
.- Copplestone has also one set with naval gunners and gun
.- if you only need naval crew manning guns, then you can see for figures in the colonial or similar ranges of redoubt. essex etc manufacturers.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
The Brigade range is superb.  Here's one of the crew painted up (by Steve Dean).

"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
  • Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:37:06 PM »
I'd like to see someone do a Russian Naval Gun crew.
Chickens got livers? I'm gettin some!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
Dear Ingram,

In some previous thread Westfalia Chris has converted the Coppleastone sailors to Russian sailors. See the picture:

http://dminis.com/scratchbuilder_christian/image.html?galleryId=2260&imageId=21320

So, I think that the Copplestone's naval crew could be easily modified accordingly

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
I have loads of the Old Glory gun crews. I have never had a single one who looked particularly Russian (though what exactly distinguishes a Russian sailor?).

In my experience they come in three flavours:

German-style (with cockade on hat).
French-style (With pom-pom on hat).
British-style (with nothing on hat, and the hat is slightly stiffer).

Obviously some of these could be used for a variety of navies. The bodies are all exactly the same, regardless of nation. Only the heads vary. There are also bare-headed ones and heads with bandages on.

The annoying thing is you take pot luck. You get a totally random selection. Once I had all German-style, which was good, because that's what I wanted, but it was a complete fluke. You might have to buy several bags to get enough of the sort you want, and you'll probably end up with loads of spares you have no use for.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 12:27:29 PM »
I don't think the problem is finding russian sailors in combat poses - I now have the Brigade figures and they look very good.  What I want is some sailors in uniform as crew members in sailor uniforms which could be Russian manning the Hotchkiss or the Maxim gun for my Caspian motor launches.  And while we are at it does anyone make suitable craft?  I know Reviresco do card kits inc guns and figures but are there suitable model boats in appropriate scales that can be kitbashed into something useable or are we solely scratchbuilding here?

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:41:49 PM »
Dear Ingram,

Copplestone has pack AF11 gardner/nordfeldt gun which comes with 3 crew.
These figures are what I proposed to you to convert as Westfalia Chris has done for his russian sailors.

For rest deck crew the situation as per Plynkes describe.

May I make a humble suggestion: Until the time we have specific figures for our navies use whatever figure fancy you and just name it: this my Russian crew. Avoid the extremes: i.e. pompom naval crew is mainly for french, belgians or finnish navies (maybe some others I do not exactly). Pulp figures americans may also be mexicans etc.
Just another idea: Old glory in various ranges portray figure like spanish sailors -landing party etc, french landing party and so on. Maybe, I have not tried it, buy one pack of artillery crew plus the landing party you want and swap heads. Check if this works, as I stated previously I have not tried and while make this suggestion I do not have any figure in hand.

The last thing: Let;s try to persuade the miniatures manufacturers to make some sets. I would also fancy navy crew with turkish fes or indian turban as well!

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »
I have loads of the Old Glory gun crews. I have never had a single one who looked particularly Russian (though what exactly distinguishes a Russian sailor?).

No scarfs or kerchiefs tied in front of the jumper and this is my biggest issue, I dislike dremeling and x-actoing (sp?) the scarf away. I have far too many slips cuts and burns as a result of this.   :'(

Additionally the ships talley on the hat hangs down the back of the hat; this one is easy though, a little cut foil and perfect.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 02:35:41 AM »
Reviresco has a few with some of the deck gun kits.  They are small, true 25mm, but if they are in the background of the action then they should do fine.  And Reviresco has some great deck guns!  Should be a few of the sailors on the current main page photo of the 1860's vintage model of the sidewheel gunboat Water Witch, which is due to be released in a few months:

http://www.tin-soldier.com/
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 08:17:36 AM »
No scarfs or kerchiefs tied in front of the jumper...

Some of the Old Glory fellows have plain tops with nothing around the neck at all, but you take pot luck as to how many of these you get in a bag. The German-style hats have their ship name ribbons hanging down at the back for sure. Don't remember if the other two styles do or not.

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
Some of the Old Glory fellows have plain tops with nothing around the neck at all, but you take pot luck as to how many of these you get in a bag.

I'll take a look at Historicon in July. Interestingly I have a bunch of the Revirsco guns and fittings as I'm building a Russian pre and WWI style torpedo boat. I'll post some photos as I get closer to finished. It will be for a series of games (a mini campaign) Comrade Lt Kiji's excellent adventures.