Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 12-14th Century Knights  (Read 7063 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Re: 12-14th Century Knights
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
This is the group: http://usaknights.org/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
Atheling, you're a-okay, don't worry about highjacking the thread, pal.

Besides, with your examples, I may see something along the lines of what I am seeking.

That's a relief  :).

The reason for this request is to get some knights who look like the armor I wore at a fair two weeks ago.  I had never done this before but the guys who were competing were short a few people so my friends asked me to give it a try. 

I suited up in 80 pounds of steel, they gave me a tiny little buckler and a mace that was ridiculously tiny and said GO!  (My wife told me, in front of everyone, "come back with your shield or on it.")

lol your wife must have had confidence in you then  lol 

The first guy had a 2-handed axe and managed to knock the faceplate right off the pig-faced steel helmet I was wearing.  I have been in gentler car accidents....  Anyway, I made it through 3 fights.  My kids were proud.  My head is still ringing.

For your first time you're lucky to come back with just your ears ringing  :o.

I figured some minis to commemorate this would be in order.  :D  I have some Perry's and, while very nice, aren't quite what I am looking for.

Sounds like Front Rank might well be the one to go for if you're looking for a 'herioc' type of scale. They do tend to look a bit wooden at times when compared to the dynamism of the Perry Twins offerings but Front Rank paint up very well and they do have character.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Darrell.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Crusader miniatures have a small HYW range and these dismounted knights might do the trick, though they seem to have open-faced bascinets rather than visors.  They're nothing like as slender as Perry or Claymore; a lot of people like to mix the Dark Age ones up with Gripping Beast, for example.

I had an order arrive from them yesterday (slightly earlier period) and they're nice figures; they'll paint up a treat.

Oops, sorry.  You'll need a link:
http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/prod.php?prod=185&cat=5&sub=15&page=1
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:38:30 AM by Garanhir »
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Crusader miniatures have a small HYW range and these dismounted knights might do the trick, though they seem to have open-faced bascinets rather than visors.  They're nothing like as slender as Perry or Claymore; a lot of people like to mix the Dark Age ones up with Gripping Beast, for example.

I had an order arrive from them yesterday (slightly earlier period) and they're nice figures; they'll paint up a treat.

Oops, sorry.  You'll need a link:
http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/prod.php?prod=185&cat=5&sub=15&page=1

I'm not sure how but forgot about the old Copplestone range that Crusader bought out. They are roughly about the same size as Front Rank so they would mix well with the earlier armours in the Front Rank HYW range.

Darrell.