Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:00:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte  (Read 78675 times)

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
Re: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
Not all of us are trained to understand the detailed evolution of dress and armor in the early 16th century. Many will use these figures as landsknechtes for most armies of the period. Heck, I recently purchased some early Parthian cataphracts and will probably end up using them as any cataphracts between 200BC and 600AD without much concern.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:11:07 AM by delbruck »

Offline Carvel2

• Assistant
« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
Just a small footnote-
Renedra had nothing at all to do with these figures.
Warlord use other people now (for about 5 years) apart from a small back catalogue of figures the did for them back in the day.
Hope that clarifies things a little.

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #332 on: July 25, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »
My box came through my local dealer who hapened to handdeliver in person. I have looked at them and as far as I am concerned nothing wrong with them. Completely compatible with Perry medievals of which I used a couple of extra body's as fully armoured officers / doppelsoldner / officers on horse. Perry heads have been used together with the original ones and some of GW empire archer heads. All very do-able. Result , I will order some more boxes.

Frankly I have been following this thread and everybody has a right to their own opinion as do firms have the right to make figures as they see fit. If people want to buy these , so much the better for them.I come from a time where Airfix figures were converted into almost everything just to portray a certain faction in a certain time frame, mostly rather generic. Who of you can truly say they have never used a post 1812 french infantry-men in a battle before 1812? Aren't we all a bit spoiled with the quality of the figures metal,resin, plastic or what ever medium they will think of next that we complain because their socks are pulled up to high, or that their weapon is missing a rivet.

I've seen in the past years since plastic arrived on the market some miracles from people that I have copied shamelessly as best as possible. When Stephan started this, he had a vison, but at the end this couldn't be fulfilled, Warlord stepped in (they didn't have to do this)and put this into their worksystem. Fair deal. The biggest achievement here is that the box is available. Whether you buy it or not is your choice.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #333 on: July 25, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
Top post, Johan. Couldn't agree more.  :)

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
« Reply #334 on: July 25, 2017, 06:23:26 PM »
Likewise.  I've been depressed by what I would consider the nitpicking of many contributing to this thread.  I too remember the early days of wargaming in the Sixties and Seventies.  Wargamers today just don't realise how lucky they are.  End of old fogey rant . . .jumpers for goal posts etc etc.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
Still waiting for mine  ::)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #336 on: July 25, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »
Just to set the record straigth as far as I'm concerned, I think the models and bits are fine, I'm just disappointed with the size as far as my needs go.  :)

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
Ahhh come one.. I have wanted to leave it at that. But it seems there is need for clarification.

I really don't want to spoil anyone. So take it with a grain of salt.

Frankly I have been following this thread and everybody has a right to their own opinion as do firms have the right to make figures as they see fit.
Correct, as people have the right to critizise.

As already pointed out everyone has their own standards depending on context.
For me it is a about inclusion. The better the product, the more people can make use of it and the more revenue there is for warlord as well. Sounds good or not?

I really don't know why this makes people angry or sad. If the product suits your needs - at your leisure.

In my opinion one just clearly has to emotionally dissociate and read critics sober and impersonal.

Aren't we all a bit spoiled with the quality of the figures metal,resin, plastic or what ever medium they will think of next that we complain because their socks are pulled up to high, or that their weapon is missing a rivet.

[...] , Warlord stepped in (they didn't have to do this)and put this into their worksystem. Fair deal. The biggest achievement here is that the box is available.

Let me use the rhetoriclal device of exaggeration just as you did. Considering that no criticism is allowed, they just can serve us a big piece of *** and we have to swallow it quietly? Nahh, I prefer to live in a world where everyone is free to critizise, if he feels to.

Looks like the usual witchhunt for "denigrators" to me. It's a professional company and we are all grown up so what? Let's chat about the product, its features, just as everyone likes. There is a time for rational critics and a time for fun. The first won't harm the latter if you don't let.

Johan, I know you already wrote the most important point in your first sentence of your second paragraph, but in the aftermath you didn't seem too convinced about it. You have to view my small rant more as a general thougt not pointed specifically at you anyway. (I basically agree with you to 100%, but there was just some bad aftertaste and I felt like people are already lighting their torches and looking for their pitchforks (I don't know if this is the correct metaphor in English))

And btw I come from a time where we only had a stick and a wheel. Nahh joke, but you see the problem. All things are relative. On Mars is no live possible at all.
:o

Better commit suicide.
;)

Honestly I really enjoyed reading the point of view of everyone here and some things also will really help me to get the most out of my Landsknechts. I hope in the future we can concentrate on critisizing the figures (let it be positively or negatively) instead of each others point of view.

Keep calm and don't take things to personal.

And most important enjoy the hobby.

Sorry for my English, Good Day and Best Regards,

Jerekin
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:07:33 PM by Jerekin »

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
For me it's about being able to do the big pike blocks without needing a crane or block and tackle with an 'A' frame to put them on the table. ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:13 PM »
And.... Relax.

It's okay to say you love these figures. It's okay to say you don't like them.
As pointed out earlier in the thread, provided criticism is reasoned and polite, that's fine. LAF is not, and has never been, a criticism-free zone.

Saying 'you're wrong for liking this product' or 'you're wrong for criticising this product' is less helpful, because that's no longer about the product, it's about criticising other people's opinions. Which seldom ends well. So please let's not go down that road...

Maybe my set will arrive tomorrow  :)

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #340 on: July 26, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »
Gonna build these as fantasy troops. If decide  I want to use them for historical gaming, I'll buy more accurate metals to fill out the front ranks.

Easy peasy

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #341 on: July 26, 2017, 01:37:59 AM »
For me it's about being able to do the big pike blocks without needing a crane or block and tackle with an 'A' frame to put them on the table. ;)
Think of it as a workout between the chips and cheese... lol

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #342 on: July 26, 2017, 01:55:04 AM »
And.... Relax.

It's okay to say you love these figures. It's okay to say you don't like them.
As pointed out earlier in the thread, provided criticism is reasoned and polite, that's fine. LAF is not, and has never been, a criticism-free zone.

Saying 'you're wrong for liking this product' or 'you're wrong for criticising this product' is less helpful, because that's no longer about the product, it's about criticising other people's opinions. Which seldom ends well. So please let's not go down that road...

Maybe my set will arrive tomorrow  :)

There are those who swear by Curteys' bobbleheads and Zinnfigurens and that fake from other angles NMM painting style, but as long as everyone is having fun and not being a mopey sparkly vampire or a mopey sparkly werewolf, where's the harm?   

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2017, 02:00:30 AM »
It is a discount code but only for the UK webstore. The code is:

JULYFREE10-c3tecad8
Is this legal, from a consumer POV?

I'm registered at Warlord, yet all I'm getting Bolt Action and Antares "spam" and no coupon... >:(

Not that it would've made that much of a difference: as it's a Dollar short of $30, a US buyer would still be charged $12.50 shipping, so the final price would be close to $29 RRP...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2017, 02:18:22 AM »
Maybe this link work?

Perfect...

Maybe it's the angle, but the halberdier's arm seems slightly long, but the rest look okay. Since these dollies were sculpted by Oliver of Steel Fist, are they a little taller than Perry plastics?

Looking at the below photo, unless the groundwork varies for each figure, the shoulders are about the same height as SF knight's ones. Since GW figures tend to be vertically challenged, but with biggish heads and limbs, they'd look right on these dollies - Primaris Marines anyone?