Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte  (Read 78765 times)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
Re: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte
« Reply #345 on: July 26, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
Hello there

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread but I thought i'd add some detail.

These figures are my sculpting over 6 dollies sculpted by Oliver of Steel Fist.

I created them to enable me to build early Tudor figures using the Perry Plastics sets thus they're a good match to those figures. They also work well with the SF Knights though the latter are taller figures alongside Perry and these dollies.

They're incomplete figures requiring arms, heads and equipment, the angle may be deceiving on the pic regarding the arm length, I've attached a couple of individual shots which might help.

The shoulders require the sleeves to be sculpted after assembly, the appearance of which will vary depending on the ability of the buyer.

From experience depending on the pose some shoulders are quite easy and some are a bit more tricky which can lead to or emphasise a 'Space Marine' look, but as ever with sculpting less is more.

In saying that, if you look at paintings and woodcuts of base coats, or indeed see a contemporary copy that is what they look like, they were not tight fitting as they were made to go over a number of layers of usually quite voluminous clothing and/or armour.

I created them primarily for my own collection but they are for sale with the above in mind.

From my miniscule experience of creating and selling some figures I have enormous respect for the small operations out there, it can't be easy.

Hope that helps.

All the best

Stuart

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #346 on: July 27, 2017, 05:12:06 PM »
So it turns out, I'll be greenstuffing some of their sleeves after all. Not just for historical accuracy, which is nice but non-critical, but also to blend them in better with the stash of 6th-ed Empire infantry I just remembered I have.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »
Dear customer.

We are currently changing our stock management system and this process is generating a few glitches and issues that we are now fixing, but that are often unpredictable.
A few orders that we have received between the 11th and the 12th of July have unfortunately fallen victim of one of these issues, by appearing as printed and received on our new system but never received by the picking team... we could discover what happened only yesterday afternoon.
As your order was one of these, I would like of course to apologise for the uncommon delay and confirm that we are doing our best to ensure that you will receive the items you have purchased with the utmost urgency.
Your order will be prepared as soon as possible and we expect it to leave us between Monday 31st July and Tuesday 1st August.
We will upgrade the order's shipment method to ensure the quickest delivery, so please expect this parcel to be delivered to you shortly.
Thank you again for your purchase with us and for your patience.

Kind regards,
Lorenzo
Warlord Games Customer Service team

::)

That explains it...

Almost three weeks...

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
There might be something to it. I have just recieved an email that my order has been packed and shipped. An order I recieved 14 days ago.

So there might be some gremlins in Warlords ordering system.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »
I suppose it was the discount that made you go with ordering from Warlord in this case, Captain Blood. Usually I order my Warlord items from ebay sellers. Often cheaper and delivered quicker...

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
'That explains it...

Almost three weeks...'

And in that time I've had my first box, decided it was good and ordered and received a second....

Cap'n Blood - hope you like them them once they arrive,,,,

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #351 on: August 01, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
Still no sign..  ::)

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #352 on: August 01, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
The enclosed was in my in box!

15% OFF voucher code!

Hi William,

We hope that you're enjoying your new Landsknecht troops and now is the perfect time to add some reinforcements to your force! Just use the coupon code below to get 15% OFF Italian Wars products.

The code expires on 14th August, so please use it before then to get your discount.

Note that the discount applies to any products in the Italian Wars 1494-1559 range, such those below and more. [/i][/i]

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
Well, they've finally arrived, together with a properly apologetic letter explaining the delay and a voucher for ten pounds off my next purchase. Which, in fairness, is pretty decent of Warlord Games. (Although, since I'm only ever likely to order a kit or two from them, and they have a minimum postage charge of a fiver, it's not quite that generous).

Actually, the most surprising thing the letter reveals is that Warlord Games has now grown to - wait for it - almost a hundred employees!
A HUNDRED EMPLOYEES! Ye Gods. I always knew they were on a quest for world domination, but for a weird little niche industry like miniatures wargaming, that surely puts them amongst the biggest boys? Not quite GW-corporate toymaker sized maybe - but I'm guessing as big as the next biggest thing out there (considering that most other wargames businesses are still one, two or three man / woman bands... )

The downside of this, I can't help feeling, is that if you're running a serious, grown-up, medium-sized business with 100 employees, then your customers have a right to expect serious, grown-up, business-like service. Which certainly hasn't been my experience to date. So I'm not sure that revealing the scale of the company was necessarily a good idea. Still, there you go...

Back on topic...

As far as the product itself goes, I have to say - pretty nice.
The bodies and most of the heads I like a lot (although there are a couple of heads which seem downright peculiar). Overall though, nicely moulded, with fine attractive detail. The limitations of the arms, viz. marching pikes or nothing (apart from one set of arquebus-firing arms - which are quite GW Empire like) is not so great. Some of the accessories will be useful for the bits box however. I will be hybridising these with Perry plastics to make more late C15th mercenaries rather than landsknechts proper. So they'll do nicely for me. But then I'm not overly fussed about historical accuracy provided they give the right feel...

I'm afraid I still think it's a shame they didn't go the whole hog and include all the other bodies and arms that were originally intended, but let's not go round that loop again.
For what you get, I think they're pretty good - especially since I got £10 discount to start with and then another £10 discount coupon to compensate for the fact they took the best part of a month to arrive. Making them effectively free  :D

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2017, 09:08:58 PM »
Captain: please post pictures when you've produced some figures. I'd love to see them.

As an aside, I haven't bought anything from Warlord recently but when I did I found their customer service to be good. My problem with them was rather the quality of their product.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
I think you were simply very unlucky Cap'n. I've had several orders from Warlord and they were all delivered within three or four days. I got some of the ex-pro Gloria metal civilians with my last order and they were equally small but gorgeous.

As for quality issues, I guess I've been lucky. My Warlord purchases have been mostly from their Napoleonic range - after I got over Warlord's weird packaging (ie not being able to make a battalion from what is in the box...) and accepted them as simply rank and file for larger units with other makers metals mixed in to make up the units, then they were fine. The plastic figures have nice detailing and their faces have some character (which is a bit of an issue for me with Perry).

I'm surprised that Warlord have 100 employees - that is very impressive.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »
Warlord confirmed my order July 11 and today I got an email that they have dispatched it... :?

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2017, 11:37:45 PM »

I got my box of Landsknechts and decided to look at the possibilities for mixing bits with the Perry European Mercenaries box. The figures work well together size-wise but comparison does highlight the weird proportions of the Landsknechts, with their long bodies and short legs. The possibilities are a bit limited but I think I can use some of the Warlord bodies with Perry arms to give me posher looking crossbowmen (maybe a civic guild or somethig...) Thus the picture above.The arms that are joined onto the weapon need extra surgery to get them to sit correctly. Separate arms should present no problems though.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »
''The plastic figures have nice detailing and their faces have some character (which is a bit of an issue for me with Perry).''

So its not just me then? I've been tempted by several of the Perry ranges but I play skirmish and find that they lack a bit of character for that Scale (they look fantastic ranked up though).

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2017, 12:41:42 AM »

I got my box of Landsknechts and decided to look at the possibilities for mixing bits with the Perry European Mercenaries box. The figures work well together size-wise but comparison does highlight the weird proportions of the Landsknechts, with their long bodies and short legs. The possibilities are a bit limited but I think I can use some of the Warlord bodies with Perry arms to give me posher looking crossbowmen (maybe a civic guild or somethig...) Thus the picture above.The arms that are joined onto the weapon need extra surgery to get them to sit correctly. Separate arms should present no problems though.

A perception of short legs due to slashing and the way the hose is worn higher up on the waist or actual short legs?