Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683619 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10110 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »
IMHO it could but not too fast.

They were bragging about 30 millions of combinations of cards during creation of battlefields but lets be honest - those options are quite cosmetic sometimes.

Most important thing is that you have to split your forces between 3 detachments Dagger, shield and hammer (each one need at least 1 model and no more than 1/3 or 50% and biggest one (shield?) need minimum 33%)
But you dont know how they will deploy and If they will deploy turn one or turn 2+ from reserves - thisis dictated by card drawn after splinting.

You can see hammer, dagger and shield icons and deployment zones. They are symetrical on all cards I saw. Here - Dagger and Hammer deploy in second turn.
This is major factor creating friction and fog of war on the battlefield and its the tool for making games different.

Second factor is roll for initiative/abilities - they can change course of the game allowing extra attacks, more devastating attacks, extra movement and even one heals - but its hardly useful IMHO in such low turn games. Those again are quite few and will be repetitive but combination of dice rolls should make game unpredictable.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10111 on: July 24, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
Cheers. The low turn count and random deployment makes me wonder if you could be stuffed before a game starts if you are unlucky in the draw.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #10112 on: July 24, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Not a fan of (low) turn count games but I understand why they do it; the pressure builds up from the first model you move, every move counts and it makes you really think what to do and when, keeping in mind the scenario demands in order to win.
And if I really don't like the game, at least got myself some great models and terrain  lol.
Underworlds I buy for the models, like the game but I don't like the hours of planning what cards to use, which complement what and when.. Give me and my opponent a random stack of cards and then let's see whom plays them out the best, that's more my type of game. Making the best of a bad situation or, rather the stuff the old hired captains had to deal with: This is our city, these are the troops at your disposal and over there is the enemy. Good luck defending it, if you fail and not get killed we execute you ourselves  :D.
Leadhead

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10113 on: July 24, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »
Cheers. The low turn count and random deployment makes me wonder if you could be stuffed before a game starts if you are unlucky in the draw.

My oponent was, but that forces you to play for scenario and not for maximal kills (well unless they are the objective)

Not a fan of (low) turn count games but I understand why they do it; the pressure builds up from the first model you move, every move counts and it makes you really think what to do and when, keeping in mind the scenario demands in order to win.
And if I really don't like the game, at least got myself some great models and terrain  lol.
Underworlds I buy for the models, like the game but I don't like the hours of planning what cards to use, which complement what and when.. Give me and my opponent a random stack of cards and then let's see whom plays them out the best, that's more my type of game. Making the best of a bad situation or, rather the stuff the old hired captains had to deal with: This is our city, these are the troops at your disposal and over there is the enemy. Good luck defending it, if you fail and not get killed we execute you ourselves  :D.

I was not to keen on low turn count but as I said I love underworlds and they make me warm to the idea.
There is no time for build up, waiting till the best time and such, just brutal fight for victory from the first turn...
Thet work better in such game as it takes annoying strategies of not interacting with opponent less destructive...

But I will have to persuade myself.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10114 on: July 25, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
Yeah.

It's an out of the box game in that you just use the minis as is. The CCG bit is meh. It's a bit like loot crating. Certain cards come in certain sets so if you want to get the best cards you buy the sets and try and sell the stuff off that you don't want... As soon as I realised that's how it worked I flogged my set. It's a nice enough game but super tournament aimed. If you like more narrative driven games this isn't it. If you can find relaxed folk to play games against it's ok. But if they have better cards than you it becomes a bit of a difficult game to compete in.

Might just give it a pass then, my buds got sick of the whole competitive mtg scene and we all like narrative stuff better. Thankfully you can guy the minis cheaper, sans cards.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10115 on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:08 PM »
Might just give it a pass then, my buds got sick of the whole competitive mtg scene and we all like narrative stuff better. Thankfully you can guy the minis cheaper, sans cards.

I agree.
I have played a few times but it is basically a boargame, nothing more than that.

There are some nice figures available for it and I have picked up a few on ebay without cards for reasonable prices.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #10116 on: July 25, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »
Also not a fan of the interface plugs, mostly because they have never been mentioned/featured before as far as I know (admittedly my lore knowledge is limited).

Agreed... As far as I know, only the Astartes were ever equiped with the black carapace. Sisters and inquisitors were equiped with pressure activated armour, which would always be a fraction of a second slower than the 'true' power armour of space marines...

That's been my understanding too. Maybe the sister's plugs are for/from interfacing with a Penitent Engine since she's Repentia?

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10117 on: July 26, 2019, 08:21:45 AM »
That's been my understanding too. Maybe the sister's plugs are for/from interfacing with a Penitent Engine since she's Repentia?
The article states it is to wear power armour. It is new background, and although e.g. the previous Repentia sculpts did not have them, I don't think the new lore so much replaces as expands existing conventions - it simply was never explained how or to what extent the power armour functioned before. As stated below in the blurb from Warhammer Community, the plugs are to make the armour more practical in use, but it is in no way as advanced or far-reaching as full black carapace.
In this design, you can clearly see the exposed plug ports that would normally enable a Battle Sister’s muscles to work in tandem with the enhanced fibre bundle network within her power armour. The power armour worn by the Adepta Sororitas (and other agents of the Imperium, such as Inquisitors) doesn’t require the full interface of an Adeptus Astartes black carapace.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:54:48 PM by Coenus Scaldingus »
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #10118 on: July 27, 2019, 07:56:28 AM »
The article states it is to wear power armour. It is new background, and although e.g. the previous Repentia sculpts did not have them, I don't think the new lore so much replaces as expands existing conventions - it simply was never explained how or to what extent the power armour functioned before. As stated below in the blurb from Warhammer Community, the plugs are to make the armour more practical in use, but it is in no way as advanced or far-reaching as full black carapace.

Almost sounds like there'd been some general improvements in the tech but we all know that's heresy.  :o

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #10119 on: July 27, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »
There's about 30 pages of argument about the powered armor interface plugs on the Dakka forum, I'm going to respectfully suggest we not going down that hole too far and accepting that GW changes things up from time to time :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10120 on: July 27, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
Have they ever explained how Terminators wear their armour without dislocating both shoulders and both hips?
(Not in dire need of an answer, but it is a genuine question. Last time I read the terminator fluff (Advanced Space Crusade, never managed to actually play a game of that come to think of it) there was a full human being in the suit unlike, say, dreadnoughts).

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #10121 on: July 27, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
Have they ever explained how Terminators wear their armour without dislocating both shoulders and both hips?

Always took it for granted it was like the fan pic below. but honestly who knows.

Last time I read the terminator fluff  (Advanced Space Crusade, never managed to actually play a game of that come to think of it) there was a full human being in the suit unlike, say, dreadnoughts).

Hehe your well up too date on the fluff then ;)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10122 on: July 28, 2019, 05:38:25 AM »
In the RT days you did get some people wearing suits of Dreadnought armour, not just those gravely injured in battle. I guess GW decided that wasn't quite Grim Dark enough and changed it to beaten up, half-dead marines only.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10123 on: July 28, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
Hehe your well up too date on the fluff then ;)

Ha, yeah once I got hooked on Confrontation and the hive I lost interest in 40K the game, found the humble untrained imperial denizen way more interesting than the actual armies in that universe. That termie picture works ok sideways on, but when you look at the old sculpts front-on, it doesn't work nearly so well - human limbs don't really fit in those suits without dislocation/detachment!

Lost Egg: hehe, yes I imagine that was the thought process. While GW's efforts to grimdark things up are often silly, the walking sarcophagus thing actually suits even the RT dreadnought sculpts in my humble opinion.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #10124 on: July 28, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »
That termie picture works ok sideways on, but when you look at the old sculpts front-on, it doesn't work nearly so well - human limbs don't really fit in those suits without dislocation/detachment!

I think it's a combination of both horrible old sculpts combined with the fact it's not humans inside rather large framed superhumans.  o_o o_o