Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682958 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10155 on: August 02, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
I'll pick up those beastmen I reckon, if they are separate. I'll chop that scenic base tree off that second under and add a weapon though. I just don't like bases that have large pieces that move around with the model when they should be terrain.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10156 on: August 02, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »
The elf-beast with the horn, something about that pose and all makes me feel like I've seen him before in the 90?

The combo of the horn, the spear and a half elf, half beast does make him look like a small version of Orion

I don't like the elfs at all, the two on the right especially just look weird, like there's no middle part and the legs go straight into the chest

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10157 on: August 02, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
The combo of the horn, the spear and a half elf, half beast does make him look like a small version of Orion

Aah that must be it, that weapon even reminds me of that four bladed spear a bit.

What a strange model that was.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #10158 on: August 02, 2019, 01:54:05 PM »
Is it weird that I really like the self-harming beastman...?  ???

The skinks are very cartoony, although the one tonguing the ball made me laugh. I'm not the target audience for Blood Bowl anyway, but I'd buy that one for shits and giggles.  lol

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10159 on: August 02, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what the new AI is like. It looks a little basic. But if it's a quick and dirty dog fighting game I may be interested.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10160 on: August 04, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
The clothing on the lizardmen is what mainly puts me off - the saurus players look great otherwise. Skink heads look strange however.
As for the underworld teams, the ungor look very flat with the spread arms and legs; the others certainly aren't bad (although I wish they painted them with more fur and less skin). Absolutely not a fan of the elves; far too strongly resembling their mortal enemies the beastmen with these mutations, and besides the centaur the poses aren't great either (normally a strength of these Underworld figures). First tree-elves, now beastmen-elves. Can't we just have normal wood elves anymore? I'd even be willing to call them waeld aelves.
Until GW stops aping Rackham, there will be more of these types of figures...

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #10161 on: August 04, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
Seems odd to pitch Beastmen vs. Beastelves in the same box.

In a game called Beastgrave?  lol

Quite like the beastmen, nice set of figures if you ask me, plenty of character. Presumably they will eventually be released as easy to build set at £15, which make them around £2 a figure, that ain't too bad at all. They may well join my beasty warband.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #10162 on: August 04, 2019, 02:48:11 PM »

So err, am I the only one seeing that elf-centaur thing pushing his spear through his chest?  lol
I know it's not the case but at a glance the convenient placement of that harness plus the colours used in the spear make it look like there's a bloody hole in which the spear goes and the spear blade then just pops out from the middle of his chest.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:55:46 AM by FionaWhite »

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #10163 on: August 04, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
So err, am I the only one seeing that elf-centaur thing pushing his spear through his chest?  lol

Now that you mention it, it sure does.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10164 on: August 04, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »
Can't unsee it.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10165 on: August 05, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
I know it's not the case but at a glance the convenient placement of that harness plus the colours used in the spear make it look like there's a bloody hole in which the spear goes and the spear blade then just pops out from the middle of his chest.

Not such a bloody hole, as there's no sign of blood. Otherwise, it is somewhat disconcerting.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10166 on: August 09, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »
I've got Warcry

Models are gorgeous but the main strength of this box is in the terrain. It is superb.
I was visiting berlin last week and they had terrain from the box on sale for 60 Euro and now after getting mine I regret not buying it then :)

(Random Suda samurai is for scale as I was making the photo for my friends :)

My only gripe with it is that I preferred silly skulls to Sigmar sculptures everywhere on the wall sections as they were more generic.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10167 on: August 10, 2019, 09:06:37 AM »
Until GW stops aping Rackham, there will be more of these types of figures...

Better than Rackham.

Rackham is one of those companies which has a of nostalgia attached to them. They did have a huge impact on the industry, their style was very marmite though. I liked the wolf-men types and the concepts for AT43 - but GW stuff isn't that close to their style.

That said, in the early 2000's Rackham defenitely led the way in terms of technical sculpts etc. But that was 15 years ago now. And whilst some approaches and styles survive in other manufacturers, GW is probably one of those least guilty of 'Imping' - I would suggest that Privateer Press draws far more inspiration from Rackham and can suffer for it as a result as they never quite hit it.

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10168 on: August 10, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »
Well I just saw on my latest news letter" from Element games, that the latest Space Marines to be "Primarised???? :o" are Ultrasmurf Chiel Libby Tigurius and White scars Korrso Khan. Plus a new space marine codex (not sure about this one though).

So I think the trend is clear all Marines are going to be tru-scale from now on, in fact when was the last release of a new stumpy marine?

I know its being obvious for awhile, but to see it actually happening is still quite strange. I like the Primaris stuff, but I feel sorry for those with 100s of stumpy marines already painted etc. I wonder how long before they are truly back-burnered by GW for Primaris types.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10169 on: August 10, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
The relatively few painted stumpy marines I  have are going to be fielded as powered armoured humans, very like sisters of battle.

But then again I use a mash-up of 3rd, 1st and 2nd edition 40K rules, so I can do what I want.