Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 724
Total: 728

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1701090 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10290 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »
The best thing about the new version - although I must admit I only played about 10-12 games of the 1st version and got the book much later, so I'm quite the rookie on that one - in my book is the alternate activation. I act with a model, you act with one, then I go again. Combine that with the possibility of Group Activation and yes, enough tactical choices.
Leadhead

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10291 on: August 26, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
Which figures have been continuously produced in metal? AFAIK, if not discontinued the figure would be re-released as Finecast. I don't like the made to order service, as it's a limited time gimmick...
A fair few Middle-earth figures. A few have transferred to Finecast, or have been replaced by newer resin/plastic sculpts, but Rohan Royal Guard have certainly been available since 2003, always in metal.

Made-to-order is of course not ideal from the perspective of a customer, but the reality is that GW can't possibly have continuous stock of all the figures they have ever made. Either they're gone forever, or they literally take the moulds out of storage, cast however many products are sold, then put them back in storage for another few years. In many cases, I very much prefer it to not being able to buy the particular mini ever again (or at typical eBay prices).

Since the latter are no longer available, then couldn't one assume it's remaining stock? 
In the particular case, no idea. In general, no, metal figures still available are not just remaining stock. Plenty have been temporary unavailable, only to come back later. They are still producing metal figures (albeit not releasing new sculpts in that medium), and they have never stopped.

Anyone have a clue as to GW's plans with Necromunda gang and tactics cards?
In the latest Necromunda twitch stream, Andy Hoare said they might reprint the out-of-production card packs as a one-off later this year. They are planning to create new packs for all teams too (likely available until they sell out like the first version). They are not necessary to play the game, and plenty of people prefer playing without them (especially when picking them rather than getting random ones, there are some obvious picks that are very strong and not particularly fun). They can play a role in balancing underdogs, but there are other ways of doing that.

~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10292 on: August 27, 2019, 08:24:49 AM »
Made-to-order is of course not ideal from the perspective of a customer, but the reality is that GW can't possibly have continuous stock of all the figures they have ever made.

They used to though...

About 15 years ago I had the privilige of visiting the Nothingham facilities and had a tour of the entire grounds, including the packaging and production area. Mail order still was a thing then, and they had rows upon rows of racks with plastic trays of bits. And individual orders were being picked by the mail trolls there. If they were out of a particular bit, the appropriate mould was picked and a few spins were done to fill the tray in question.

The big catalogues of 2006 and 2007 were the pinnacle of this service they provided. And back in the day, I've made quite a few conversions using particular parts which I got through mail order.

I was disappointed to hear this great service was first diminished and then withdrawn. But I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that they still at least make to order, which is, as you already stated, much preferable to miniatures simply becoming OOP altogether...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10293 on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »
I remember when they showed conversions in WD and whatnot, then made those bits as a little kit you could buy though Mail Order...I bought some of the kits for Exodite conversions based off of Mike McVeys diorama...never did actually get around to converting them up though.

I'd love to have all the old Mail Order mini catalogues I used to own, loads of classic minis in those I always meant to pick up but never did.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10294 on: August 27, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Anyone have a clue as to GW's plans with Necromunda gang and tactics cards? Could one play a campaign without them?

Would like to avoid purchasing more dice, especially as I prefer Gamescience ones, so found charts for Firepower and Injury:

Firepower Dice Chart
D6   Result
1   1 hit + Ammo !
2-3   1 hit
4-5   2 hits
6   3 hits

Injury Dice Chart
D6   Result
1-2   Flesh Wound
3-5   Serious Injury
6   Out of Action

Are the Scatter Dice the same as the artillery dice that first came out in WFB 4th Edition?

If I'm not mistaken, the two round and flame templates are the same size as past ones from WFB and W40k?

You are correct on the dices.
Templates are standard GW.
Cards are biatch but are floating around the net redone in MTG format (using some mtg card creator). I dont like how they look myself (to colorful but could be printed b&w) but smaller sizes is better for gaming.

And yes you could play campaign without them.
They add level of complication and some cool tactic (and 2 or 3 cards should be outright banned from use and few other decided before the game Click-spare ammo interaction)
but I forget thm half of the time any.
So you can play perfectly well without them - I would suggest applying Underdog rules from whit dwarf instead - as cards are used as bonus for point difference games - but this is not that good way of evening the odds anyway (WD rules are better)

If you have any questions you can PM me to not lost them here.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10295 on: August 27, 2019, 06:20:15 PM »
http://magicseteditor.boards.net/page/downloads

Honestly, there are better template sets for the cards out there that they could have used to fit the setting, even within MTG.

I am producing these to be the random draw cards for my gang at the moment. Nice, simple and relatively fitting.

The advantage to these cards is that the GW ones are a strange size and don't fit any sleeves well other than their own, of course.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10296 on: August 27, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
Well, you can't go wrong buying one or two Start collecting! sets (if there is one) from the faction you want to play. Also getting their newest Battletome is recommended as well.
The rest depends on how you want to play, going to tournaments or casually with friends.

Thanks. I certainly won't be playing tournaments, and frankly the whole question of playing at all is somewhat theoretical, as with all of my projects. I did go to a gaming night at my local independent store a couple of weeks ago and watched a game in progress for a while, but it quickly became apparent my presence, let alone participation, was not required. Nevertheless, I'll pretend it all has some purpose, as the only alternative would be to give up.

I"m not familiar with the Battletome - is this distinct from the General's handbook? I've seen 2018 and 2019 editions of this - should I buy both?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10297 on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
A Battletome cover a specific faction with fluff & rules, while the General's Handbook adds more to the game overall rather than for any one faction. The rules theselves are available for free for all the AoS models and are on each models page on the GW website, check under the Rules tab.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10298 on: August 27, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I'll do my best.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10299 on: August 28, 2019, 04:05:43 AM »
I"m not familiar with the Battletome - is this distinct from the General's handbook? I've seen 2018 and 2019 editions of this - should I buy both?
If you're interested in battleplans and some Open Play rules, then get each GH: General's Handbook 1, 2017, 2018 and 2019. If you're just interested in points values, then only the most recent one will do. I got out of AoS after some disappointment...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10300 on: August 28, 2019, 04:22:27 AM »
What an inauspicious start!

My eBay purchases of Palanite Enforcers and Iron Golems arrived...

The shrink-wrapped PE is missing the transfers :-[ and customer service told me to take it up with the seller. Only if I couldn't get it resolved was I to email them a copy of the order details and then would they mail me a sheet "this time". ::) Based on the person's tone, it sounded like GW will be doing me a favor, since I didn't buy direct. lol I'm registered on the GW site and have ordered stuff for store pick up, but will this mean I'll be on a list? What if another box of Enforcers are missing transfers?

My interest in the game has waned... :-I

The Palanite sprues are nice, but don't feel as enthused as I'm for the Iron Golems and I have no interest in playing Warcry - just wanted the figures for pit fighter conversions.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10301 on: August 28, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
You can have my transfer sheet if you want it, I don't bother with decals, don't really think Enforcers should have a chest logo like Batman.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10302 on: August 28, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
A Battletome cover a specific faction with fluff & rules, while the General's Handbook adds more to the game overall rather than for any one faction. The rules theselves are available for free for all the AoS models and are on each models page on the GW website, check under the Rules tab.

I would like to add that the Battletomes have the rules for the faction specific army abilities, artifacts, spells and various traits, that you can give to your heroes, which cannot be found anywhere else.
As Lost Egg said the rules for the various models and the core rules themselves can be downloaded from the GW site. You can also get the point values from various army building apps, like the Warscroll Builder on Warhammer-Community. However, if you want to know for example, what a Mirrorshield artifact does on a Stormcast hero, or what the Regrowth Deepwood spell is on a Sylvaneth wizard, you have to get the Stormcast or Sylvaneth Battletome respectively.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10303 on: August 28, 2019, 04:49:59 PM »
Thanks to Lost Egg, McMordain and Condottiere. Part of the problem is... I don't know what I want! Aren't there scrolls / cards? Do I need them to feel like a whole person?

I'm expecting the hardcover rule book and paperback core rules any day, so that isn't an issue. Almost everything else is. (BTW, I don't do apps. I don't do phones, tablets, or digital assets in any form.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:13:30 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10304 on: August 28, 2019, 05:04:23 PM »
I don't play AoS but if I did I would grab the General's Handbook and print off the rules from the GW website and stick with that, certainly for the first few games. Then if I wanted to really get into the game or wanted to explore the fluff of my chosen faction then I'd pick up the Battletome.

I believe the unit cards are for quick reference so that all depends on if you find these things useful.