Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:34:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1699781 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10320 on: August 29, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »
I like that Rohan house.
That could be easily converted to just about any fantasy setting.
(But then I like a lot of the GW scenery pieces, they will work perfectly with my current Playmobil adventures!  :D).

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10321 on: August 29, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »
Yes, if you need the points for Matched Play...

Is anything else in the handbooks of value?

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10322 on: August 29, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
You are welcome :)

As for the General's Handbook - does the current edition make earlier ones obsolete?

Not entirely. The Core rulebook and GHB have four sections, Open Play, Narrative Play, Matched Play and Conquest Unbound (and the rulebook has the Core rules as well).
Open Play has basically no restriction on what you can field as an army. This section in the GHB provides various methods for army building, creating missions and deciding victory goals. The Open war rules in the 2018 GHB are still can be used without any problems. Plus it has rules for aerial combat.
Narrative play is what it's sounds like. There is some lore about a bigger battle or campaign in the realms followed by rules, battle plans and army suggestions to play it out. This part is also usable in any of the GHBs.
Part of the Matched Play and Conquest Unbound sections will make earlier versions obsolete though.
Matched Play has the point costs of the units and these are updated and adjusted every year in the GHB as GW sees it necessary. It also has a section on how to build your army in various point levels (1000-2000-2500), which can have some changes as well. The 2019GHB introduced a new 1000 point game variant as well. The battleplans can be used from earlier versions though, if both players agree.
Conquest Unbound has the Allegiance Abilities for factions which does not have a Battletome yet. These also change between GHB-s.
If you can get the 2018GHB cheap go for it, if not the 2019 version is enough.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10323 on: August 29, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Thanks, that's very informative. FWIW, having had a look on the shelves of the aforementioned independent store, and dithered considerably, I've just bought....the Painting Guide, as well as the Getting Started book with 'free' Stormcast Eternal, which I originally assumed was for the 1st edition, as I remember a similar publication, but is in fact for 2e. I almost bought a set of command dice, but was told these weren't essential, though they sound like a good idea. I asked about faction cards, as mentioned elsewhere, and was pointed in the direction of War Scrolls (?) which I left alone for the time being, at least until I know what they're for. I also almost bought GH 2019, which was £16, as was the 2018 edition.

I should have the Core Book & extras by tomorrow, and will be well and truly overwhelmed.

P.S. Rereading earlier replies, it seems that the War Scrolls include tokens - is this correct? Assuming these are to show current status / condition, I assume the command dice I saw show a unit's orders?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:38:09 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10324 on: August 29, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »
Warscrolls are the encompassing name of a units stats and abilities. The Warscroll cards are the card versions, for quick reference during gameplay. Warscroll card packs for a faction contain all the cards for that factions units. This means that the number of cards per factions is varied, as there is a lot more Stormcast units than for example Sylvaneth. Also these Warscroll card packs have two sheets of thick cardboard tokens, mostly for faction specific abilities, artefacts and spells. The problem is these packs are usually limited runs and sell out quickly.
The 8 of the 20 command dice can be used to show which units have run, charged or retreated and the like, while the rest are simple d6 that can be used to keep track of command and victory points, or roll for anything that requires a d6.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10325 on: August 30, 2019, 07:05:01 PM »
Thanks yet again. I've received my rules etc. (from the Soul Wars starter set) but have barely started browsing, let alone reading. First impressions are that the art and photos are very impressive.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #10326 on: August 31, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
Primaris Marines don't do it for me, but on the whole I'm not a marine fan - except the Nurgly ones - so that doesn't count. Xenos is more my cup of tea.
The new Tomb Kings, really like Samurai-style helper on the Mortach base, the tomb guards ( although I probably will be using/painting  them as evil chaotic elite skellies ) and the cav. is rather fine aswell. The rest, mwoah...
SoB's, we'll see what the units will look like. Have 2 "limited" characters, but I tend to start a small faction of the classic Jes ones....
Ah well, can't love them all.
Leadhead

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10327 on: September 04, 2019, 01:18:01 AM »
You can have my transfer sheet if you want it, I don't bother with decals, don't really think Enforcers should have a chest logo like Batman.
Awesome! Will send PM shortly...

Was expecting GDubs to deliver, but instead of the transfers, I received a pack of Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress Explorer/Hostile cards! Would have preferred Gang tactics cards... ::)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10328 on: September 04, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
I managed to get all of the game components for Blackstone Fortress without the miniatures for £15. I have plenty of decent minis to use in their place.

Not tried it yet though - any good?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #10329 on: September 04, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
Rohan house looks good, but man those new "forged undead" Oshkosh or whatever are a pretty good example of when GW's newer digitally sculpted stuff falls flat.  They're just so stiff.  They look like awkward old action figures, they were "posed", but the joints don't function like real joints.  So they look like a guy afraid he'll smear his ribcage with whatever is sticky on his inner arm, rather than just holding a spear (or what have you) in a way that looks natural.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10330 on: September 04, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
I managed to get all of the game components for Blackstone Fortress without the miniatures for £15. I have plenty of decent minis to use in their place.

Not tried it yet though - any good?

Nice single player Boardgame, best Ive  played so far but.
Ok game overall. Give it a chance.

Although multiplayer experience could be a little dull IMHO

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10331 on: September 06, 2019, 04:28:42 AM »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10332 on: September 06, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »
Pretty standard for Gotrek, after all, he's cursed to be unstoppable isn't he? Never to fulfill his slayer vow? But yes, that does look quite challening. TBH I don't know what other minis are like. If he has similar stats to a bloodthirster then yes, way OOP.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #10333 on: September 06, 2019, 09:43:51 AM »
Honestly no he's not that OP, hard and tough as nails yes though (As he should be).

He's 520pts and rather slow, so in big games he won't make much of a impact and in small/standard sized games he'll won't be used much after the ''New toy'' hype and if he is just avoid/tarpit him.

You have to remember that in AoS most armies now have summoning for free and can just send in free stuff to lock down Mr G.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10334 on: September 07, 2019, 03:56:55 AM »
So I started assembling the Palanite Enforcers and noticed a few things...

Box content total:
- 6 Enforcer shotguns
- 6 Enforcer boltguns
- 12 autopistols
- 6 stub guns
- 2 stub guns with flashlights
- 2 sniper rifles
- 2 shock batons
- 2 concussion carbines
- 2 magnacles
- 12 heads in 6 different designs

There are no autopistols. ??? Bits stores list the holstered sidearms as autopistols, but I double checked, they're revolvers/stub guns. Not really an issue, though how are these attached to the body, so they look like they're hanging naturally - assembly instructions and pics are no help? Empty holsters for those wielding stubguns. Part 45: stub gun and flashlight combo looks cool, but superfluous, as all Enforcers have a pair of lights on their shoulders.   

There are only 2 head options, not three, though there's a variety of necks.

It would've been nice to have an open left and right hand, so the concussion carbine isn't always wielded right-handed and pointed upwards and a shock baton on the left or magnacles on the right and bolt gun on the left. I suppose I could remove a left hand from a shotgun and attach it to the carbine, but not sure if I could get the arms to fit. 

Concussion carbines are a must, as there are no Subjugator equipment options on the sprue - will Forge World release upgrade sets? I would like a boltgun, carbine and shotgun which could be slung over the models shoulder or suspended from the hip.