Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682987 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10380 on: September 16, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
I tried my local wh smith but could find none, couldn't tell if scalpers had got there or they just weren't in yet. Bizarrely GW itself doesn't sell the damn thing either.
Are you in the North East of England?
Because if not it won't be in your local WHS (or anywhere else) as it's is currently only on trial in the N E.

Assuming the trial us successful it will go on sale across the UK later.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10381 on: September 18, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/16/battle-sister-bulletin-part-16-your-first-painted-vehiclesgw-homepage-post-3/

New Sisters of Battle Rhino on display, looks to be just a new upgrade sprue, rather than the previously shown Mark 1 Rhino. Maybe that will be coming at a later day.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10382 on: September 18, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
That's a shame as I do prefer the round doors of the mark 1. Looks cool though.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10383 on: September 18, 2019, 08:47:11 PM »
I mean ignoring the concept of putting doors through track systems... the round doors were always pants. Way too small and required space marines to crawl out of them!! Or slide I guess.

I vastly prefer the idea that the doors drop down as ramps. Makes exiting and entering the vehicle much more rapid. Plus one door which potentially means it could be more armoured than two.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #10384 on: September 18, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
I mean ignoring the concept of putting doors through track systems... the round doors were always pants. Way too small and required space marines to crawl out of them!! Or slide I guess.

I vastly prefer the idea that the doors drop down as ramps. Makes exiting and entering the vehicle much more rapid. Plus one door which potentially means it could be more armoured than two.
GW could always go full M113. And they kinda did in 1991, when in Golden Demon awards they gave the 1st 40K vehicle prize to M113-Rhino vehicle. Please see also 3rd winning position here.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10385 on: September 19, 2019, 05:25:12 AM »

Fair enough. I've always seen the rhino as being much larger 'in real life' than the scale of the model would suggest so to me the marines would be able to walk out of the round doors; it's common for model vehicles in 40k to be made smaller in this way so they take up less room on the tabletop. One advantage of the round doors is that they could be opened without the vehicle having to stop.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10386 on: September 19, 2019, 07:10:13 AM »
Then again; I've seen a project online at least 15 years ago, where someone used 10 (admittedly quite a bit smaller) 1st ed Landspeeder crew members as mounted marines inside a 1st ed Rhino.

And it fit!  :o

It was as cramped as a fully loaded real world APC (actually, maybe not even that cramped ::) ) and it required quite a bit of modeling to create an actual interior and opening hatches etc, but it worked out great.

It was the inspiration for my own 1st ed Rhino with full interior and opening hatches, but for the life of me, I'm unable to find the original now...  :?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10387 on: September 19, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »
Wow...that does sound like an impressive conversion, would love to see it.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10388 on: September 19, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
I'll have to (re)take some pictures, as that army has been shelved for many years now.

Come to think of it; I must have mentioned it many times here on the LAF, but never actually showed it off. So this might well be the time... ;)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10389 on: September 19, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
I'll have to (re)take some pictures, as that army has been shelved for many years now.

Come to think of it; I must have mentioned it many times here on the LAF, but never actually showed it off. So this might well be the time... ;)

Am I thinking correctly that those are Imperial Fists that I've seen on the Bolter & Chainsword boards, they were always one of my favourite space marine forces I've ever seen, you should totally show them again, they'were magnificent

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10390 on: September 19, 2019, 09:07:04 AM »
Stuff things and doodads

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10391 on: September 19, 2019, 09:28:16 AM »
I like the Salamander guy, the sculptor did a good job on the armour. However, I dislike the cable to his pistol...I assume its a fuel line...a canister would have looked much better.

The fist guy is OK though how in the hell is he gunna press the tiny buttons on his wrist communicator / scanner with those massive power fist digits? Maybe it's the angle but the gun on his shoulder looks like someone just took a gun, chopped off the hand and stuck it on his shoulder. As I say maybe its the angle but it looks clumsy. I've also just noticed the gun sight thingy that seems to be sticking out in front of his eye...what if he wants to use that for targetting something off to his left...does he have to rotate around? Couldn't he just have had a bionic eye? Err...does his power fist have a knuckle duster?

The Sisters Rhino looks great, a lovely balance of detail without overloading the mini, unlike the Fist fella. I love the elegance of the wing on the missile launcher.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10392 on: September 19, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
I think someone was watching the Star Wars trench run in regards to that targeting scanner.

Just a heads up, Space Marine Heroes series 2 is out at retail now, £7.99 (or cheaper online) per box gets you a random Terminator miniature, they are quite nice poses and sculpts, even if they are already obsolete due to Primaris. 

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10393 on: September 19, 2019, 10:29:57 AM »
Am I thinking correctly that those are Imperial Fists that I've seen on the Bolter & Chainsword boards, they were always one of my favourite space marine forces I've ever seen, you should totally show them again, they'were magnificent
Yup; that's probably them then, as I was still a moderator on there when I started that force, somewhere around 2006 I believe... :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10394 on: September 19, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
Whenever I see a Marine in all-yellow armour with red trim like that I can only ever imagine them as a member of the Angry Marines.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.