Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682775 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10560 on: November 04, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »
Well I could absolutely be wrong, but to my eye the finish looks just too sharp and smooth to be handpainted plastic. I don't think it would be that surprising, would it? I don't even think it's bad behaviour. I doubt there's a production-based business on the face of the planet that doesn't retouch the brochure images of its products - from cars to toys.

Personally I think they are paint jobs. It's super easy to clean up edge highlights like these by going back in near the edge with black again to tidy any slips.

It's the plastic bit I wouldn't be surprised about. I'm guessing to 3d sculpt them they sculpt a whole figure then break it down into parts to do the sprues - maybe someone else can confirm this. If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me if these are perhaps 3d prints of the sculpts. After all, it isn't a new thing for companies to have more crisply detailed resins cast for painters use or master castings if metal, just to ensure those mini's you see in the mags, brochures or web-stores are top notch.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10561 on: November 04, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
It's the plastic bit I wouldn't be surprised about. I'm guessing to 3d sculpt them they sculpt a whole figure then break it down into parts to do the sprues - maybe someone else can confirm this. If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me if these are perhaps 3d prints of the sculpts. After all, it isn't a new thing for companies to have more crisply detailed resins cast for painters use or master castings if metal, just to ensure those mini's you see in the mags, brochures or web-stores are top notch.

3d printed pre-production prototypes is really quite possible yes. The prototypes are made anyway before the plastic mould anyway so it speeds up the process a bit. Packaging can be designed while the moulds get cut etc.

I have no insight into GW processes, but I'd think the part breakdown is done somewhere between concept sketches and target designs to make sure they don't end up with good 3d sculpts that can be broken down to fitting parts. (though I assume their sculptors know a fair bit about that as well!)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10562 on: November 05, 2019, 02:15:44 AM »
They could even be the three ups they use to make the molds from that way achieving a high quality level of painting would be much more achievable. Fine details are much easier to paint when the size is maximised.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #10563 on: November 05, 2019, 07:59:26 AM »
FWIW I've been lucky enough to have first-hand contact with a lot of the studio painted releases over the last year (it's a work thing) and frighteningly the photos they use are really very honest. You can also see a lot of original studio work in the museum there too. The Necromunda figures, for example, are mind-blowing in real life. They also showcase the latest releaees in the Warhammer World shop and in those cases they can use the studio painted models too.

I'm pretty confident that in most cases touch-ups are limited to the usual level-correction and colour balancing etc.

Occaisionally they paint 3D prints but I understand it's quite rare and more typically for one-offs, very early previews or models that sit outside of the release schedule for some reason. The first Sister of Battle 'teaser' model was one and people did actually spot some print-lines on the bolter. Subtle but there. Final production plastic will usually be smoother than a test print. Development lead-times can be 2 years+ so there are plastic production models available for the painting team well in advance.

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #10564 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:32 AM »
They could even be the three ups they use to make the molds from that way achieving a high quality level of painting would be much more achievable. Fine details are much easier to paint when the size is maximised.

Do they still use three-ups and a pantographic rig to cut the moulds? These days, I'd think they'd directly machine them from a CAD-based mould design file using CNC?

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10565 on: November 05, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
Love those chaos warriors!!! A nice gritty more realistic paint job will make them look a lot better!!!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10566 on: November 05, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
Do they still use three-ups and a pantographic rig to cut the moulds? These days, I'd think they'd directly machine them from a CAD-based mould design file using CNC?

Probably spot on there. Some smaller companies still use it with traditional sculpting

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10567 on: November 05, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
I know the Perry's paint their 3-ups to advertise upcoming releases.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10568 on: November 05, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »

I've actually heard of it going the other way round at some companies. Hand sculpt a 3 up, 3d scan it and clean it up in CAD and CNC from there.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10569 on: November 05, 2019, 11:16:39 PM »
They've been going straight from the CAD to mould for years, in fact I remember hearing somewhere that the design program they use is Specifically for creating moulds.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10570 on: November 06, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »

I'm the only one who thinks that underslug grenade launcher is more dangerous to the user than to any opposition?  lol
Seems like a really bad design to me...

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10571 on: November 06, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
 lol lol lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10572 on: November 06, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »
Is it supposed to be a launcher of some sort?  I thought it was shotgun shells used to "fire" the ram?  Maybe they painted the barrel there by accident :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10573 on: November 06, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
Seems like a really bad design to me...

As a weapon, probably, but sometimes you just need a combined bottle opener / staple remover.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10574 on: November 06, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
I thought it was shotgun shells used to "fire" the ram?

If that's the case, they put the shells in the wrong way!  lol