Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:00:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 498
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695413 times)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10950 on: March 12, 2020, 12:13:30 PM »
The extra strings are back ups for when they break as you cut the bow off the sprue.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10951 on: March 12, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »
The extra strings are back ups for when they break as you cut the bow off the sprue.
Not for a musical accompaniment?

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10952 on: March 12, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »
He does play a mean bass line.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10953 on: March 12, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
I am no toxophilite, but, as ever, have a couple of probably pointless observations.

1 .The phrase 'more than one string to one's bow' must surely mean something, though not necessarily this.

2. With regard to penetrating power of long bows against armoured targets, a dimly remembered account of Agincourt mentioned bodkin-pointed arrows being used for precisely this purpose - supposedly to lethal effect -  while broadhead arrows would be used against unarmoured or lightly armoured foes. No doubts this is an oversimplification, and has been overtaken by recent research, but it's a point * that seems to get little consideration in rules.

* Unintentional and unforgivable if unavoidable pun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodkin_point

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10954 on: March 12, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
1 .The phrase 'more than one string to one's bow' must surely mean something, though not necessarily this.

I suspect this in is relation to the bow of an instrument such as a violin, which tend to snap. I could well be wrong as I have no experience the musical arts.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10955 on: March 13, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »
It could also be more literal. As in you carry more than one bow string in case one snaps, you have a replacement. As for Agincourt, I'll dig up a YouTube link in the morning.  :)

Edit: "This term comes from the custom of archers carrying a reserve string. It first appeared in English in the mid-fifteenth century, and by 1546 it was in John Heywood's proverb collection."

Probably because they used less predictable materials back in the day.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:15:57 AM by mcfonz »
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10956 on: March 13, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »
Its made up fantasy. If it was a historical mini then yeah, rip away, but its an elf  ;)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #10957 on: March 13, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
Its made up fantasy. If it was a historical mini then yeah, rip away, but its an elf  ;)

:o

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10958 on: March 13, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
Elves are not historical! You have destroyed Christmas! You FIEND!

Okay not sure on the connection there, I just got carried away....

^__^

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10959 on: March 13, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »
Not for a musical accompaniment?

I like this one best.

And probably the reason elves have slowly becoming extinct too...

The tense wait before battle always got to Boriël Moonglow, as it did now. 'You know what I'd rather be doing right now, Andariël?' he sighed to his compatriot next to him in the makeshift trench they were hunkering down in. 'Compose a verse to the beauty of the falling rain', his comrade in arms finished for him. 'I know Boriël; you're ever the pacifist. Now be silent, the enemy can approach any moment now!' And Andariël resumed his watchful gaze across the clearing.
Sulking, Boriël turned to his bow. Oh, how he despised its murderous aspect, but how his heart warmed at the thought of the soothing tones of its strings when played with caressing hands. Absentmindedly, he began softly strumming the three strings that made up the harp part of his issued war bow. And without realizing he began playing an ancient melody dedicated to the myriad hues of gold of a particularly beautiful elven maiden of legend.
Annoyed, Andariël turned to his reluctant brother in arms, but as he was about to chastise Boriël on his lapse of discipline, he heard the captivating sound of a second bow harp weaving its melody into Boriël's. And then a third, and a fourth, coming further down the line of hidden positions.
A veil lifted from his heart and he felt the urge so break out in song. And he was not alone, as irresistibly, all elves positioned on the hidden defense line joined in a joyous song, in praise of a beauty long since gone.
The entire line of elves, although well hidden from view in their forest mantles, thus became easy prey for the horde of orcs breaking the treeline across the glade, their pig-like eyes gleaming with murder, as they honed in on the despicable wailing across the field, and they made it across unopposed at a full run. Boriël never knew what hit him...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10960 on: March 13, 2020, 03:47:43 PM »
And probably the reason elves have slowly becoming extinct too...
CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is the reason the Alfär are becoming extinct.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #10961 on: March 13, 2020, 04:27:02 PM »
You know it's a story of fantasy when they start talking about Elves in a trench... Since when have Elves ever got their hands dirty like that?!! ;D

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #10962 on: March 13, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »
I was just thinking "I hope no one tells him about the skeleton musicians with horns"

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10963 on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
I suspect this in is relation to the bow of an instrument such as a violin, which tend to snap. I could well be wrong as I have no experience the musical arts.

Almost certainly true. I have no idea why I never thought of this. Maybe someone should tell GW's sculptors.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10964 on: March 13, 2020, 06:16:53 PM »
It could also be more literal. As in you carry more than one bow string in case one snaps, you have a replacement. As for Agincourt, I'll dig up a YouTube link in the morning.  :)

Edit: "This term comes from the custom of archers carrying a reserve string. It first appeared in English in the mid-fifteenth century, and by 1546 it was in John Heywood's proverb collection."

Probably because they used less predictable materials back in the day.

Alright, that's almost certainly more true than the previous offering, plausible though that seemed at the time (about 30 seconds ago). While unattributed, the quote marks lend credibility to your definition. The odd thing is that the phrase as currently used usually relates to variety in method or approach to a task, rather than a simple back-up or replacement of hardware, but that's presumably down to the evolution of linguistic usage.