Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:50:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683335 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11070 on: April 29, 2020, 01:19:11 PM »
Gotta say that Catachan fella is one of the best GW figures that I have seen for a while.
 8)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11071 on: April 29, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
I have to say, that's a pretty classy move on the part of GW. It feels like it wasn't all that long ago that GW was doing all it could to cause third party retailers to wither on the vine.

I agree, very classy.

There was a bit of a swing with third party retailers. Way back when there were fewer GW shops they were pretty good so far as I am aware. Then the dawning of online shopping and ebay occurred. And this got GW's backs up. And to be fair, also some FLGS. At that time GW, so far as I am aware, GW was giving out a blanket retail discount. What happened was that folks were able to buy cheap GW stuff, hawk it on ebay for huge discounts 30%+ at times and do it all from their spare room / garage.

This is not a good business model. It means that all of the hard work of GW's own stores and FLGS was being undercut meaning that players would happily play games at clubs etc and visit stores less. In many ways it's not particularly supportive of the hobby either.

The last time I checked, and this may be a bit out of date now, they had changed it to a structure instead of a blanket discount. This means that if you don't meet certain criteria the discount isn't as good.  Things like shelf space, having one of their racks, having a gaming table and able to demo their games etc. Makes sense to me and also cuts out the huge under-cutters who don't have the overheads that the FLGS and GW stores have for providing an entrance into the hobby and for continuing to consistently support it.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #11072 on: April 30, 2020, 12:33:38 AM »
There was a bit of a swing with third party retailers. Way back when there were fewer GW shops they were pretty good so far as I am aware. Then the dawning of online shopping and ebay occurred. And this got GW's backs up. And to be fair, also some FLGS. At that time GW, so far as I am aware, GW was giving out a blanket retail discount. What happened was that folks were able to buy cheap GW stuff, hawk it on ebay for huge discounts 30%+ at times and do it all from their spare room / garage.
I wasn't really aware of these factors. Good to know, thanks!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11073 on: April 30, 2020, 01:25:36 AM »
The last time I checked, and this may be a bit out of date now, they had changed it to a structure instead of a blanket discount. This means that if you don't meet certain criteria the discount isn't as good.  Things like shelf space, having one of their racks, having a gaming table and able to demo their games etc. Makes sense to me and also cuts out the huge under-cutters who don't have the overheads that the FLGS and GW stores have for providing an entrance into the hobby and for continuing to consistently support it.

It also limits what product you can get, how much and how often.

My FLGS can order in 'special order' product that even the local GW store can't get in.

They also restrict when you can promote product online and how much of a discount you can offer it at.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11074 on: April 30, 2020, 01:43:57 AM »
Not saying they are not much better at supporting local stores now but years ago they put my favorite store out of business by adding a GW store in the same area.  The other local gaming store dropped GW and miniatures completely.  I buy online now. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11075 on: April 30, 2020, 04:33:23 AM »
Not saying they are not much better at supporting local stores now but years ago they put my favorite store out of business by adding a GW store in the same area.  The other local gaming store dropped GW and miniatures completely.  I buy online now.

Yours was not the only one. Tom Kirby was a tw*t.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #11076 on: May 01, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »
Apparently the Catachan Colonel is limited to 1 model per store....needless to say its already on eBay for between £100 to £400.... well done GW....  >:(

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #11077 on: May 01, 2020, 08:35:25 AM »
Apparently the Catachan Colonel is limited to 1 model per store....needless to say its already on eBay for between £100 to £400.... well done GW....  >:(

Bloody hell, guess I'm not bothering then! Who's spending £400 on a miniature?!

It'll probably come out down the line anyway, like 'event exclusive' Lieutenant Amulius, which was available online a few months ago.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #11078 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:02 AM »
Well the event exclusive was released cos the events were cancelled. None of the other (as far as I know) limited miniatures have been re-released.  :'(

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #11079 on: May 01, 2020, 09:32:45 AM »
Oh was that the reasoning? Makes sense. If you can get to warhammer world easily they sometimes have them there though, we went to warhammer fest 2019 and my mate got an Amulius but I didn't bother. We then went to warhammer world, I think for the paint day, and they had a shelf full in the shop!

Presumably there's some minimum number they need to shift to make producing the model worthwhile? It's the first exclusive in a long time I've actually wanted!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11080 on: May 01, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »

It's not one per store, but it's also not masses more at the moment.

Most of the "event exclusives" are cleverly titled that and often are available at other "events" too. Some of them have been seen several times now.

However, in this instance, they were to help out the FLGS who have more than likely taken a hit, especially if they don't have an online shop. Or, if in the case of my favoured FLGS, happened to be in the process of moving premises due to success, to a new store in a slightly more expensive but larger footfall part of the City.

I love the miniature, but I love the hobby more. If there is someone out there who wants it enough to pay £400 for it and it helps my FLGS store to keep going during these challenging times, then I am not going to get upset one bit. Sorry, but the hobby, the local gaming community and the fortunes of a small one man business are far more important than my like of a piece of plastic.

It really isn't something anyone should be getting upset over.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11081 on: May 01, 2020, 05:24:46 PM »
Reports I've seen so far indicate between 1 and 4 models per store, presumably based on the store's size.
It's a bit silly that GW states that gifting such a small number of models will in any way massively affect the independent stores' income in these trying times, as they'll only make hundreds extra by indeed eBaying them... Can't fully blame stores in dire straits for going down that road, but not a fan of it either. I see the stores advertising it as being to "support the local store", but most local customers obviously won't be the ones bidding on and purchasing those figures. Some other stores are using theirs in raffles, which sounds like a much better way to raise funds and involve the local community.

At any rate, I can't see it as a bad move from GW either. These would presumably have been the full amount of models they currently had available, spread thinly as there are so many stores. It could take months to make more, assuming their restarting production runs focus on normal items for direct sales and restocking stores (in addition to which production will be slowed down for the foreseeable future too).

That's the second new Catachan character figure though. Wonder if those old, absolutely horrible plastic troops may actually finally be replaced in the nearish future...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #11082 on: May 01, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »
That's the second new Catachan character figure though. Wonder if those old, absolutely horrible plastic troops may actually finally be replaced in the nearish future...

I hope so! The commands squads, heavies, tanks and even the ogryns and ratlings are up to date these days, it's just those ugly old troopers spoiling the view.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11083 on: May 01, 2020, 08:45:49 PM »
The metal cetaceans are vastly superior IMO.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11084 on: May 01, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »
Stores could always raffle them off