Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682770 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11100 on: May 05, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
Fine, then you weren't a store that needed the helping hand. I was always told not to bite the hand that feeds you.
GW are not the hand that'd be feeding me, though; that would be my loyal customers, and I wouldn't enjoy being in a situation where I find myself having to disappoint more of those customers than I can make happy by supplying this mini.

I agree it's a nice gesture from GW, and understand completely that they couldn't do more (having only so many figures available), nor would I expect them to (they're not a charity, and any models they give away for free is great). All I'm saying that the situation would have been better for both the stores and the customers alike if the initial communication had simply included a line saying that there would literally only be a few per store (whatever the amount is, 1-4 seems to be the range I've read so far).
While the realistic financial benefits for stores simply selling them at the usual pricepoint are rather limited, it at least shows some actual appreciation from GW for the independent stores, while of course providing some good PR too.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11101 on: May 05, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »
Fine, then you weren't a store that needed the helping hand. I was always told not to bite the hand that feeds you.

No one is suggesting that any store owner call up GW and tell them to piss off.

3) In which case, the idea of these models isn't for them and I would recommend they don't take up their allocation and perhaps allow another store who is struggling more financially due to the current conditions to take advantage of them.

The allotment for something like this will generally be issued in a standard way, and actually refusing your allotment involves extra work (if doing so is even possible - the minis may just be sent along with a given store's next GW shipment), and the miniatures wouldn't be automatically redirected to some store or other GW felt was struggling in particular anyway, because again, these are allocated in a very simple, standard way for expediency's sake.

I suppose a store in this position COULD, if they were feeling generous, redirect their stock after receiving to a local competitor which is doing worse than them, but then they'd be answering questions from their customers (who have seen the news online and are expecting you to have the model, however few) about why they have none and the "rival" store across town has six.

Even if you're feeling generous, it's still a headache.

But by all means, slag them off for not getting it spot on. Some people will just never be happy with GW no matter what.

I literally said I don't really blame GW. We all make mistakes sometimes, should we not learn from them?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:59:03 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11102 on: May 05, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
Cannot please everyone.

So. either do something and not please everyone. Do nothing and not please everyone.

Damned if you do and you know the rest.

I am not the happiest person with GW, but recent years has seen a lot of change with them, somethings will always be the same.

Maybe its a bit poorly interpreted, or poorly planned, but at least they made the gesture with something, that they did not have to do.

And you know, its getting talked about, so thanks guys, missed the target somewhat, but at least its something.

to be fair, not seen it, not bothered about not seeing it, and certainly not that fussed I have not got one, but hey well done and grats to you if you did, are and have one.

Anything GW related that's more interesting going on?

GW themed PPE?

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11103 on: May 05, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »
GW themed PPE?

Probably best to avoid a Nurgle theme.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11104 on: May 06, 2020, 01:31:33 AM »
If they choose to make more at a later time they always can.  I would probably buy one.  :)

+2 on not making Nurgle PPE.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11105 on: May 06, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »
Probably best to avoid a Nurgle theme.

ah. that. one.

yeah not that one.

where did I put my hat and coat?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11106 on: May 06, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »
Cannot please everyone.

So. either do something and not please everyone. Do nothing and not please everyone.

Damned if you do and you know the rest.

<snip>

Anything GW related that's more interesting going on?

Agreed, and yes.

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #11107 on: May 07, 2020, 12:01:35 PM »
Games Workshop's webstore is now using a virtual queue system to get into the store and view products. I must have lucked out on Friday and got in before it was implemented. Cant believe that many people need Nuln Oil that they have to have a queue system  lol

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11108 on: May 07, 2020, 07:03:15 PM »
Could just be that some dicknose is trying to DDoS the GW site. It happens. Happened to our Cuprum's site (Studio Siberia - love their work) for several months on end!

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #11109 on: May 07, 2020, 08:56:56 PM »
I really like the admech cowboys, with them and the Genestealer Kelermorph there's some cracking Wild West in space minis.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11110 on: May 08, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »
yes that's really more interesting.

Remember to sit the necessary virtual safe distance from your internet device whilst in the queue.

There are an awful lot of dicky people DDOS'ing around, and it only really takes one, to really impact a particular site.

If they decide they have reason, but it never stops, there's always prods and pushes going on to see if they can get in/do worse to your stuff.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #11111 on: May 08, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
GW stated last Friday when they were reopening the store they would have a virtual queue. Would have made more sense to have one of those last November when they released the Sisters limited box set. Also limiting purchases of certain paints and glue I think (they are the new toilet paper). Glad I picked up a bumper bottle of black wash last year from a discount store  ;D

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #11112 on: May 17, 2020, 05:35:09 AM »
Hmmm, they're not taking orders today. "Come back tomorrow" it says.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11113 on: May 18, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »
Pretty nice, that Skitarii cav.
Leadhead

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11114 on: May 23, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
Some new stuff from the previews today - A new edition of 40k with some neat sounding progression mechanics for games (combat patrol is back finally) , new necron warriors and units, new marines etc ...

Nothing astounding, but what was shown was quite nice.

the most revealing thing was the amount of racism on display in the chat box, all swiftly dealt with by the moderators but still, very much made me feel that what i thought was a minority in the community is in fact not so, which was deeply disappointing.