Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683414 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11130 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:12 PM »
Ok. For dune the wing vibe might work.  I still dislike the side guns though.  :)
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11131 on: May 28, 2020, 12:01:54 AM »
Ok. For dune the wing vibe might work.  I still dislike the side guns though.  :)

The side guns are weird, no doubt about that. I don't see this thing doing AC-130 style strafing runs :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11132 on: May 28, 2020, 07:03:06 AM »
Huey gunships had side guns,as they turned away the gunners would open up.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #11133 on: May 28, 2020, 07:05:48 AM »
The side guns are weird, no doubt about that. I don't see this thing doing AC-130 style strafing runs :)
It's 40k it's not supposed to be normal 😂

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11134 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:46 PM »
Yeah, it's not like their tanks have designs that would work either...

Just in case some of you were not aware, a new edition of 40k is due out later in the year - and when I say later, typically they have released new editions at the end of the summer (UK summer). A new website with a rather nice trailer is up for the new edition of 40k. https://warhammer40000.com/

A better look at some of the miniatures that are going to be coming out, and some of those in the new starter box can be found on the community site here.

Some of the ones I like:

Not entirely sold on the war cricket bat / chisel though, but it's nice otherwise. I think it's been confirmed to be called a Judiciar.

New Necron Lord miniature.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11135 on: May 28, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »
Yeah, it's not like their tanks have designs that would work either...
True.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11136 on: May 28, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »
Not entirely sold on the war cricket bat / chisel though, but it's nice otherwise. I think it's been confirmed to be called a Judiciar.

There's a few points of similarity with a character from the book 'Shadow of the Torturer'. The main character, Severian, is a member of the Torturer's Guild and ends up being an itinerant Executioner. Severian's sword looks like that and is named 'Terminus Est'. The series, "Book of the New Sun" is about as  'grimdark' Imperium as anything I've ever read, including actual 40k novels. I believe along with Dune and Nemesis the Warlock, the Book of the New Sun series had some major influence on 40K. Great books- very peculiar.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11137 on: May 28, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »
There's a few points of similarity with a character from the book 'Shadow of the Torturer'. The main character, Severian, is a member of the Torturer's Guild and ends up being an itinerant Executioner. Severian's sword looks like that and is named 'Terminus Est'. The series, "Book of the New Sun" is about as  'grimdark' Imperium as anything I've ever read, including actual 40k novels. I believe along with Dune and Nemesis the Warlock, the Book of the New Sun series had some major influence on 40K. Great books- very peculiar.

But also very good 👍
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11138 on: May 28, 2020, 09:57:27 PM »

IIRC an executioner's sword is also hollow, and partially filled with mercury, to shift its point of gravity when put to use.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11139 on: May 28, 2020, 10:19:37 PM »
Yes, there's definitely a nod to Gene Wolfe in that. One of my favourite bits of The Book of the New Sun is that chilling scene with the alzabo waiting for the firelight to die and Severian fretting that the lack of a point on Terminus Est means that he can't defend himself from the beast without room to swing the sword.

With this GW figure and the Annihilation film's nod to the alzabo, there's been quite a bit of Wolfeian influence about recently.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11140 on: May 29, 2020, 05:47:27 AM »
With this GW figure and the Annihilation film's nod to the alzabo, there's been quite a bit of Wolfeian influence about recently.

Heck yes, when a friend had me watch Annihilation I went full-on nerd about the similarity to the alzabo :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11141 on: May 29, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
Necron Lord looks way to busy. If I were to buy it I'd chop off one of those arms to improve it (But it will be out of my price range and I don't have any inclination to get a 40k army at the moment)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #11142 on: May 30, 2020, 01:16:31 AM »
'Severian' was my first thought the instant I saw that Primaris Executioner fig. I'll pick one up for that reason alone.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11143 on: May 30, 2020, 03:48:55 PM »
The sword made me think of historic executioners blades, the german Richtschwert in particular.
https://historisches-museum-frankfurt.de/de/node/33927?language=en
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11144 on: June 04, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »
I have to say, after not really buying into 40k as a rule system now for over 15 years - I tried a few games of 8th but disliked it (more on that in a mo) - what I am reading on the changes and other aspects of 9th I am starting to get really tempted by it.

(The more in a mo bit) I tried 8th, but I tried it with Nids, and the few games I played I was watching my army do ALL of the running, which you expect to a degree admittedly. But it was just dead boring. Static marine gun line. Run, die, run, die. Then when a unit finally made contact with the enemy, overwatch. By the time actual combat was reached I had so few models left that they were incredibly unlikely to win. If they managed to survive, marines just backed off an inch and blasted them away. It was dull, boring and repetitive. Overwatch was still overpowered - especially with any flame weapons. D6 auto hits with a couple of them per unit means you should be pinging a good 7 hits just in overwatch. Against most basic troopers with armour of 6+, that's insta death on 3+/4+.

They are changing combat and overwatch to reward units that actually make it. We haven't been told exactly how yet but I do wonder if a return to 2nd ed style overwatch will work, where you have to sacrifice something to get it. Either way, the way it is now, combat armies are at a real disadvantage so I am happy to see them try and rectify that for my Tyranids.

More things they have said they are changing here and here

Also Crusade - the narrative campaign part of the game... It's already got the interest of some of my club who haven't touched a GW game in a long while.

I can honestly see people possibly tempted to play this with older miniatures. There seems to be a nice way of leveling up your models and really building a small characterful force about it. I wonder if it'll be the end of Kill Team? (I didn't like kill team, I felt it scaled badly as they didn't do much but shrink the main game, d6 auto hits on single targets instead of units...).