Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689486
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1694989 times)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11250 on: August 23, 2020, 01:12:07 PM »
Where did you grow up?
Yes the orlock stuff isn't great. I still prefer the original metal orlocks to these plastics. (prefer plastic van saar to metal easily though)

Spent the first twenty-odd years of my life an hour north of Auckland (now it is technically Auckland). Now on the other side of the world.
The most interesting of the new Orlocks is the guy they didn't make a miniature for on the book cover - the miner guy looks cool. I was thinking I'd get the new box and a hybrid box and get converting, then I realised how much that would be cash-wise.

The orlocks are the only gang from the old Necro I think is better than the new stuff, though nothing has ever been as cool as the Confrontation gangs.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #11251 on: August 24, 2020, 01:45:15 PM »
I'm liking the look of the new Slave Ogryn gang for Necromunda. Great for a variety of things, but looks like a lot of duplicate pieces.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Necromunda-Slave-Ogryn-Gang-2020

All the plastic Necromunda box sets have been made up of two or more identical sprues.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11252 on: September 05, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Checking the High Elves on the store page...

Sixty Dollars for 10 archer or pikemen figures?!? :o At least the Greatswords are an elite choice, so one could argue for the $40+ price, but these are Elven regulars. :? Odd that the base size isn't mentioned - 25mm or 32mm? To justify the price, EE lists the number of components, ::) but thankfully they've omitted it this time.

The figures are okay, but what's with the ridiculous back mounted scabbards?!? Looking at the sprues, I don't see that much in the way of customizability to justify the price and there are no options for a musician and standard bearer.

On the plus side, pikes are back...

With my eyestrain issues, I thought I read summetal! lol

Sunmetal Weapons: The pikes used by Auralan Wardens are tipped with pure sunmetal that can burn a victim from the inside out.If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made with a Warden’s Pike is 6, that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound on the target and the attack sequence ends (do not make a wound or save roll).

Wall of Blades: When Auralan Wardens stand shoulder to shoulder, they present a bristling wall of pikes towards the foe. If the target unit made a charge move in the same turn, add 1 to wound rolls for attacks made with this unit’s Warden’s Pikes and improve the Rend characteristic of that weapon by 1.

I'm thinking showing up with Alcatan'si, Leopold's, Pirazzo's or Ricco's pikemen as proxies...   ;)

Anyone seen the new D6's?

A new frontier in dice has opened. Your eyes do not deceive you – using aelf-like craftsmanship, careful planning and several buckets of the finest aetherquartz, we've designed CYLINDRICAL dice! These aren't just a Warhammer first, but a brilliant accessory for Lumineth Realm-lords players, offering you eye-catching dice that match the aesthetics of your army.

This set includes 20 D6s – but not as you know them! Each includes a skull on the 1 face and an aelven rune on the 6 face.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:34:56 PM by Condottiere »

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11253 on: September 05, 2020, 07:16:14 PM »
I ordered the dice as a present to myself. I just really like the look of them and they'll go well with my inq28 navigator warband.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11254 on: September 05, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »
They're very nice-looking, but someone tell those sods that cylindrical dice have been around for ages and ages.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11255 on: September 05, 2020, 10:36:40 PM »
They're very nice-looking, but someone tell those sods that cylindrical dice have been around for ages and ages.

Damn your eyes sir! Take that back! Games Workshop invented them and you know it*! And they probably invented the cylinder too!

*Although I may remember scoring little marks on the side of a pencil as a makeshift die, so I could play the Fighting Fantasy books in school when I was meant to be working.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:38:24 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11256 on: September 06, 2020, 12:00:04 AM »
That's quite obviously a hexagonal prism, not a cylinder, GW can't even get geometry right.
Saying that, they do look quite cool. Might see if I can find something similar on Aliexpress, lol
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 12:06:39 AM by beefcake »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11257 on: September 06, 2020, 12:02:51 AM »
I fail to see how those will stop rolling easily on a table.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11258 on: September 06, 2020, 02:37:43 AM »
Those sods on TGA Community think GW's innovative in brush technology! lol

I've seen dice like this before, but never used 'em.  Would rolling a D-Total in a store cause a warp storm? ;)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11259 on: September 06, 2020, 07:31:08 AM »
Its all a bit harsh really

They are only re-inventing things and copyrighting it.. I mean really, very inventive. Aefls, Aedarves, Aeliens or, well, you get the idea

probably wheels next so expect Cease and Desists soon for all your vehicles.. Just hope they are not made of Finecast..

hmm finecast bubble dice, there's an idea, guaranteed not one alike.

I am surprised they stuck with the old name "dice" and didn't change it to something else Aedice etc.

Although this is all starting to sound more like they are adopting some sort of regional accents into their ranges.

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #11260 on: September 06, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
Didn't I see cavalry somewhere?

I'd like to know how far the scalecreep goes this time.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11261 on: September 06, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
Didn't I see cavalry somewhere?

I'd like to know how far the scalecreep goes this time.
Posted pages back...

I like the realistic looking horses, but they'll probably be on the same sprue, so useless for other projects. :(

If these are $60 + sales tax per box, how much will a pack of 5 horsemen go for? >:(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:57:41 PM by Condottiere »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #11262 on: September 07, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »

They're not meant to. They haven't told you yet, but they can only be used in a unique patented dice tray designed exclusively for the purpose of selling - I mean, improving the quality of the gamer's otherwise pointless existence.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11263 on: September 07, 2020, 07:16:10 PM »
They're not meant to. They haven't told you yet, but they can only be used in a unique patented dice tray designed exclusively for the purpose of selling - I mean, improving the quality of the gamer's otherwise pointless existence.

The other thing I don't get about them is the AoS can require huge numbers of dice. How are you going to roll more than a few of these at a time?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11264 on: September 08, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »

You uncivilised heathen! One does not simply roll dice on the tabletop anymore! One has to have a dice tray and roll like a civilised man using a dice cup...

What is the world coming too?

P.S. I actually was doing this for the game of 40k I played last week. Worked until 30 shots from termagants, then not enough space in the dice tray to roll them all...  ;D
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus