Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695767 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11310 on: October 06, 2020, 05:15:25 AM »
Quite nice though.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #11311 on: October 06, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »
Yeah that's why I switched to historicals, I can't afford the power and price creep.  lol
But when I started gameing in 1997, GWs used to be cheaper then most historicals. Guess it's the price of success.

You seem to have a faulty memory there.  GW have never been "cheaper than most historicals".   In the early days of Citadel Miniatures, before they merged with GW, they may have been roughly comparable to most historicals, but that was the early 1980s and it's been downhill all the way since then.   

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11312 on: October 06, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
The price of individual models was higher with Citadel, but Warhammer used to be a skirmish game, with a few dozen models per side, whilst historicals were ... well, historically ... usually big-battle games needing hundreds of models per side. That seems to have swapped over somewhat. The trend towards skirmish historical gaming and good quality affordable plastics has opened up a lot of 'pick & mix' collectors (like myself) who probably wouldn't even bother to try to collect a Napoleonic Division 20 or 30 years back.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11313 on: October 06, 2020, 03:00:38 PM »
I guess for some period of time, GW's plastics would have been cheaper than the historical metal figures too. Oh, how things change.

I do wonder about these new extra-giant giants though. Are they the same species as the previous ones? Are the older ones still children, facial hair notwithstanding? Are they like some fish that just grow bigger depending on how much space they get? Making new models (and making them biggerer each time) is one thing, but these are actually supposed to co-exist, they are in the same army. And next to each other, they just look... weird.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #11314 on: October 06, 2020, 03:11:50 PM »
Totally get all the criticism, but I'll be damned if I don't really want one of those giants! haha

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #11315 on: October 06, 2020, 03:13:07 PM »
I wonder if there will get to a stage where even the most die hard gw fan boy will say sod it your taking the urine now an not buy it ?
Never gonna happen.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11316 on: October 07, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
I'm assuming it's a single sculpt...

Sons of Behemat: Gargants Evolved

I am not sure what you mean by single sculpt. It's a multipart plastic kit and you can build one of the three variants (Kraken-eater, Warstomper, Gatebreaker) from the box.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11317 on: October 07, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »
Looks like leg pose will be the same for each, and arm pose fixed per type so I guess you can call that single pose sculpt?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11318 on: October 07, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by single sculpt. It's a multipart plastic kit and you can build one of the three variants (Kraken-eater, Warstomper, Gatebreaker) from the box.
I think you know what I meant...

I even linked to the article.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11319 on: October 07, 2020, 02:03:30 PM »
Looks like leg pose will be the same for each, and arm pose fixed per type so I guess you can call that single pose sculpt?
BINGO!

Considering that their figures are designed on a computer and for this price, you'd think they'd design more options with the leg arrangement. The easiest would be a connection point at the knees, so someone could model it running or kneeling. This is nothing more than a scaled up over-priced plastic giant and every army could use it as a mercenary, just like the original one, before GW changes their mind! 

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11320 on: October 07, 2020, 02:15:56 PM »
BINGO!

Considering that their figures are designed on a computer and for this price, you'd think they'd design more options with the leg arrangement. The easiest would be a connection point at the knees, so someone could model it running or kneeling. This is nothing more than a scaled up over-priced plastic giant and every army could use it as a mercenary, just like the original one, before GW changes their mind!

I don't think I agree, any movable joints will be very obvious on a model this size, making it look like a overweight barby doll at best. A kneeling pose would require alternative skirts and crotch arrangements as well which together with potential alternative legs would very quickly mean a whole extra sprue in the box of bits you'll have left over. Since its such a huge model I'd assume you only field one or two at most, meaning variety isn't as important as on massed troops?

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11321 on: October 07, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »
I don't think I agree, any movable joints will be very obvious on a model this size, making it look like a overweight barby doll at best. A kneeling pose would require alternative skirts and crotch arrangements as well which together with potential alternative legs would very quickly mean a whole extra sprue in the box of bits you'll have left over. Since its such a huge model I'd assume you only field one or two at most, meaning variety isn't as important as on massed troops?
It's already an overweight Barbie doll, just like the smaller version! The "skirts" could've been made in segments or made smaller - what's with GW's fascination with overly long loincloths? You wouldn't need separate upper and lower legs, just have a point of articulation, like on action figures and any exposed joints could be covered up with molded caps to match parts of the knees. I'm looking at the sprues and I notice parts that will end up in a bits box, depending on the build - how about not so many useless extras? The old Marauder giant worked, 'cause the legs were in a neutral position, while both the plastic ones' legs looked choreographed, when fielded in more than one.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11322 on: October 07, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »
I think you know what I meant...

I even linked to the article.

Mm.. no, that's why I asked. I can see your point now, but I disagree. It would bother me more to see three of the Marauder giants on the table than to see the three variants of the Mega-gargant. Though if we are talking about for example three Krakeneater then that is the same problem.
However I don't think it would be hard to mix and match the parts of the various versions.

I'm looking at the sprues and I notice parts that will end up in a bits box, depending on the build - how about not so many useless extras?

That is a thing since GW started to make dual/triple unit boxes. Lots of left over bits. I love converting and kitbashing though, so I see that as a win.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11323 on: October 07, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
Extra giant bits?

Buy an old, knackered Action Man on ebay and use the extra parts on it to make another giant as it looks like it could be a similar size.
 ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11324 on: October 07, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
I see the last version features Leo Sizechek's Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.