Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689741
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1696104 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11340 on: October 14, 2020, 03:27:58 AM »
The Mega Giant is up on the US store for $195... :o

So with MA State Sales Tax, it's ~$207. :o

Gdubs is offering this at an exchange rate of £1=~$1.62... lol

In comparison, Forge World's Bonegrinder Giant is $175!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:58:43 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11341 on: October 14, 2020, 10:03:47 AM »
Nail on the head there. The (in my view irritating) roll-to-hit then roll-to-wound system is to blame. Compare 2nd ed. Space Marine (if that isn't too recent for you  lol), which also had gazillions of troop types, but also had a tonne of variety in unit roles. Quite striking to see the "gazillions of units" ethos working differently with a different combat system.

But then the system kind of grew from the quasi-roleplay early edition Warhammers (1st and 2nd) with their character generation stuff and D&D type scenarios. It's a pity it never managed to evolve to skip that extra step (or two).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #11342 on: October 14, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »
The Mega Giant is up on the US store for $195... :o

So with MA State Sales Tax, it's ~$207. :o

Gdubs is offering this at an exchange rate of £1=~$1.62... lol

In comparison, Forge World's Bonegrinder Giant is $175!

Does anyone actually spend that much on one model?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11343 on: October 14, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
That's small change compared to some of ForgeWorlds models.

But I certainly wouldn't.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #11344 on: October 14, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
Forgeworld makes some amazing stuff but they're big, fragile, and so expensive.  I regularly blow $500 in a month or two on minis but I get a lot of little projects for that money.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11345 on: October 14, 2020, 08:41:30 PM »
Does anyone actually spend that much on one model?
Depends on the model and whether it can be acquired on sale...

The Rackham Titan Dragon went for around as much, but that was a huge resin model...

A shame I missed out on it when it went on sale. :'(

I recently purchased the Mid-Nor Hydra, but only after it was reduced to $68 from RRP $119.99.

My issue with the Mega Giant is that it's overpriced, especially for foreigners! >:( For £70 or £80, I might've been interested, but I've got other manufacturers' giants in metal for around $20-$30, like several WotC Chainmail Hill Giants.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:44:02 PM by Condottiere »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11346 on: October 15, 2020, 05:36:46 AM »
I bought both of those when they were on sale a while ago. Still sitting in the box waiting for me to find the guts to paint them lol.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11347 on: October 16, 2020, 01:39:51 AM »
I bought both of those when they were on sale a while ago. Still sitting in the box waiting for me to find the guts to paint them lol.

>:( >:( >:(

Had CMoN not flooded my inbox with figure ranges I had no interest in, I might not have ignored the messages and found out about the sale. :( With MM, their sales coincide with periods when I don't have the funds at hand, so again I pay attention, but had I done so, I could've grabbed the Hydra for $27 - someone guy got seven of them at this price!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11348 on: November 03, 2020, 03:02:06 AM »
Looks like the Mega Giant's price hasn't dissuaded hobbyists from splurging on 2 or 3 at a time and this is with GW introducing stock limitations on newer products per store!

Found this review of the unboxing and assembly of the Mantic Games' Giant.

According to u/solepureskillz, one way to get a bang for your buck would be to magnetize the Mega-Gargant's parts, allowing a player to field a different giant per game.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11349 on: November 04, 2020, 09:32:45 AM »
Cool enough model, too big to be a gaming piece for my tastes.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11350 on: November 04, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »
On other matters, I went into my local Games Workshop on Saturday to stock up, and found Green Stuff is no longer stocked!

I am sure this is not not news to you, but it certainly a surprise to me.

[Edit]Okay, Our Gracious Host stocks it - for the next order....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:29:53 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11351 on: November 05, 2020, 01:16:16 AM »
Three MORE reasons to visit your Warhammer Store!

I wonder how this will work with Covid and by the time I'm there on Saturday, they won't have any free minis. :-[

Yep, you read that right. Free! Every month, you’ll be able to pick up a new model at no cost, themed around one of the month’s releases.

With the epic new Broken Realms narrative arc for Warhammer Age of Sigmar kicking off this month, November’s models are Witch Aelves! Morathi would be proud.

Getting your free model is easy – just stop by your local Warhammer store and ask! Many stores will also be running painting competitions around the month’s free model – even more reason to try your hand at painting something a little different. Best to get to your store early each month – they will only have so many free models to give out.

There’ll be a new coin to collect each month and will include iconic symbols from Warhammer Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40,000, starting with Daughters of Khaine for November.

The thing about coin collections is that they look way better in a nice display! So, after you’ve collected six different coins, you can claim a gorgeous booklet to show off your Warhammer coin collection to the world.

Each month, you can claim your coin with a qualifying spend of £60, €80 or $100 – easily covered by a Combat Patrol, or a Start Collecting! set and some paints.
I like the coin, but I'm not going to spend $100/month. The most I spent at the local GW was for Gorechosen on opening day...

Choose any ten pots from the Citadel Colour range, and you’ll get the most expensive one free! Whether you’re looking for loads of Contrast to get your new models Battle Ready, want some Layer and Shade paints to take them to the next level, or are after Technical paints for those finishing touches, you’ll be able to select exactly the colours you need.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #11352 on: November 05, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »
Ah, but it is a seven hour round trip by car to my nearest Warhammer store. So no goodies for me!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11353 on: November 05, 2020, 12:43:54 PM »
On other matters, I went into my local Games Workshop on Saturday to stock up, and found Green Stuff is no longer stocked!

I am sure this is not not news to you, but it certainly a surprise to me.

I buy it on eBay - you can get a large pack for a fraction of the price at which GW sell (or used to sell) a very small pack.

Like a 3ft. ribbon of GS for 7.95 post paid.

Never really understood why wargamers are willing to pay so much more for very small quantities of cheap commodities like flock, grit, basing paste or Green Stuff, just because it’s been divvied up into snazzy little branded packets ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11354 on: November 05, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
I buy it on eBay - you can get a large pack for a fraction of the price at which GW sell (or used to sell) a very small pack.

Like a 3ft. ribbon of GS for 7.95 post paid.

Never really understood why wargamers are willing to pay so much more for very small quantities of cheap commodities like flock, grit, basing paste or Green Stuff, just because it’s been divvied up into snazzy little branded packets ;)

While it's not just a GW thing, I have an entire blog post on warning new gamers against buying game-branded materials.  I'm not sure if it's still current, but at one point GW was asking $32USD for a hobby knife, available from anywhere for $6, etc.  Citadel PVA glue (read: Elmer's glue) used to be like $12 for 6 oz. or something insane.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!