Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689612
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695524 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8220 on: April 03, 2018, 04:13:13 PM »
Yep, and oddly some gangs will be getting hired work robots before other gangs are even actually released it seems.  Poor state of affairs.

Is this a serious moan or tongue in cheek? Hard to tell.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8221 on: April 03, 2018, 04:18:44 PM »
To be fair, the ambull was just a D&D umber hulk. And I don't know what people mean  about it not looking 40k,it seems fine to me. Perfectly inkeeping with the style of 40k robots.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8222 on: April 03, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
Is this a serious moan or tongue in cheek? Hard to tell.

I think you know which.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8223 on: April 03, 2018, 07:24:27 PM »
I don't - I mean that's why I asked.

It could be taken either way.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #8224 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
To be fair, the ambull was just a D&D umber hulk. And I don't know what people mean  about it not looking 40k,it seems fine to me. Perfectly inkeeping with the style of 40k robots.

It's the artwork, it looks like something out of a generic video game from 5 years ago. And the robot doesn't seem to have signature gw stylings.
Still, theres room for the actual model to be great  :)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8225 on: April 04, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
I'd read a point on 4chan that due to how 'lax' things were back in the good old days, the ambull design is still owned by the original sculptor, hence why a newer ''not-ambull'' is available on knightmare  miniatures and why GW is doing a take on it instead of a straighter update.

Ignore that, turns out one of the Perrys is the sculptor, also the old ambull is based off the umber hulk of DnD fame.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:46:17 PM by Kommando_J »

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8226 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »
Yep, and oddly some gangs will be getting hired work robots before other gangs are even actually released it seems.  Poor state of affairs.
The entire Necromunda release has been more than just a "poor state of affairs".

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8227 on: April 08, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
Normally i'd be straight on the developer hate train but in this case I would say the fact that it's one small team doing all the work that is to blame.

I for one love all the rogue trader call backs.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8228 on: April 08, 2018, 03:29:17 PM »
The entire Necromunda release has been more than just a "poor state of affairs".

I've seen countless versions of this claim online and I dtill fail to grasp the problem.
The game is being made by a small team of a larger studio, The gangs are being released slowly yes, but if you want a specific gang you just wait, The same as anyone that wants anything. if GW had put necromunda out with all the gangs ready, all the extra content in a big £90 rulebook then i'm sure the same people bemoaning the lack of (insert favourite gang) would also moan that there's too much to buy and they can't be bothered with the investment.

It isn't just about profit. A stepped release schedule stops the game getting stagnant. New rules shake up the meta of the game and stop one gang dominating the game for an entire edition. This way sure, Cawdor may be on top for 3 months, But then a new book will come along that offers all gangs new tools and tricks and the players are forced to rethink their tried and tested lists and methods. Turning necromunda into a living game seems to me to be the best way to keep the game from becoming a stagnant net listed mess. And as much as those still playing with their old gangs might say "ah well we've been playing at my house for 20 years and it never got stagnant. " good for you, But GW can't see inside your house. They can only see what happens in their stores and events, and in those situations where you have 300 people playing together using gangs built partly on community feedback online, They will notice unbalance or bias.
with the current release structure, they can correct that as it comes up.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8229 on: April 08, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »
So will the figures in the Warhammer Legends range be metal or Finecast/resin or whatever it's called nowadays? So id it for characters and/or units? I prefer the generic Order list, as I like to field knights, not ugly shits on wingless griffins, so will this mean I won't be able to use the stats in the compendium list in Matched Play?

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8230 on: April 08, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
I've seen countless versions of this claim online and I dtill fail to grasp the problem.
The game is being made by a small team of a larger studio, The gangs are being released slowly yes
The rate of releases is not nearly the biggest gripe with Necro's current state. The real problem lies in a seeming complete lack of proofreading. Sections are missing, unclearly written or completely inconsistent with other parts. A suddenly rushed release schedule is to blame there, whatever the reason for that is.

That said, the release strategy certainly doesn't help either. Although I agree that a series of updates and releases help keep the game alive and fresh, and am very happy with ongoing support, they really are milking it, to the detriment of the game. Releasing full rules for the main gangs would have allowed a much more interesting playing field than just the two for which they made new models, and then a single new gang every few months. But of course, this would have allowed third parties to make and sell stand-in models, so they didn't. Same with the available armoury: old models and conversions that cannot be used until a new release offering relatively basic options comes along. Before too long, you'd get tired of the expense required, the wait until your faction is available or remotely complete, or indeed just having to carry 4 books around for a simple 10-figure skirmish game. Especially when the intermediate time has clearly not been spent on proofreading and decently editing the material.

So will the figures in the Warhammer Legends range be metal or Finecast/resin or whatever it's called nowadays?
It's usually whatever the figures were produced in before they went out of production I think. So can be either, depending on the specific sculpt.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #8231 on: April 08, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »
The rate of releases is not nearly the biggest gripe with Necro's current state. The real problem lies in a seeming complete lack of proofreading. Sections are missing, unclearly written or completely inconsistent with other parts. A suddenly rushed release schedule is to blame there, whatever the reason for that is.

I'm starting my 3D boards for Necro now. My biggest gripe about the new incarnation of Necromunda thus far is the dark gray and textured background behind body text in the rulebooks. That should never have gotten through the design stage- it's a first semester graphic design student mistake.

Proofreading, clear technical writing, and good layout & design is a lost art it seems. 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8232 on: April 08, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
You can tell that their is some type of disconnect with the way that the profile for gor half horn is different in two parts of the same book, also the constant changing up of weapon qualities/prices as each new gang comes out.

The chaos club has a club at 25 creds and heavy flamers are now back to being unwieldy for example.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8233 on: April 09, 2018, 12:15:34 AM »
It's usually whatever the figures were produced in before they went out of production I think. So can be either, depending on the specific sculpt.
I think those re-released Juan Diaz Daemonettes metal? I'd like to see a Golgfag in metal instead of Finecast, but it's not going to happen, unless it's a naughty copy.  :-[

On the TGA fora, someone mentioned Oldhammer stuff, but I don't know what it means to him/her, as I doubt there will be a re-release of the Elven Attack Chariot.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #8234 on: April 09, 2018, 02:57:03 AM »
Dr Matthias has it right, when he says that proofreading, among other things, is a lost art/skill. I really don't think that a rushed release is the reason for the mistakes in the Necromunda rules (or, indeed, in any recent GW rules). The problem is that basic editing and proofreading (and advanced editing and proofreading, for that matter) simply aren't taught anymore, at least at third-level, and they aren't much valued by modern employers. I've been a college professor for twenty years, and with each passing year students struggle more and more with these skills, and (it needs to be said) professors struggle to teach them as they themselves are the products of an education system in which these skills are no longer prioritized. Unfortunately, a failing education system will have a trickle-down effect when it comes to the quality of games publications too! There's no escape from it!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani