Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1700708 times)

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8640 on: July 28, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »
The black coach has been put up for pre-order on the NZ webstore

$230NZ  :o

That is so eye watering expensive  :'(

I may have to sell some of my children...

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8641 on: July 28, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
Phew, roughly twice the price of the Mortis Engine/Coven Throne kit. That really doesn't make much sense, even for GW.

After seeing some games of Kill Team being played, I can't say I'm very impressed. It certainly is fast and easy to learn, but just doesn't seem to offer much in the way of tactical depth. Still as good an excuse as any to get a little fun force of figures on the hobby desk and then on the table of course.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #8642 on: July 28, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
After seeing some games of Kill Team being played, I can't say I'm very impressed. It certainly is fast and easy to learn, but just doesn't seem to offer much in the way of tactical depth.

I have to confess, I haven't watched any games in play, but have seen some stills. Would a bigger table and more terrain add to the tactical depth?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8643 on: July 28, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
It would probably change it for the better, although perhaps a lot depends on the factions on the table. From what I've seen (also still limited of course, but some different gangs and scenarios), it's just a bit too all-or-nothing. Some of the guns just blow everything off the table and some figures can be so fast that distances don't matter much anyway. Things like the simplistic wound system and limited variation within at least some of the kill teams don't help either. I suppose I would simply expect a bit more granularity at this scale, a greater importance of positioning etcetera. It's not terrible, but... it just doesn't seem all that interesting.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8644 on: July 28, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
As a big fan of 2ed 40k for smaller scale stuff I think ill stick to Shadow War (or 2ed 40k!)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #8645 on: July 28, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
It would probably change it for the better, although perhaps a lot depends on the factions on the table. From what I've seen (also still limited of course, but some different gangs and scenarios), it's just a bit too all-or-nothing. Some of the guns just blow everything off the table and some figures can be so fast that distances don't matter much anyway. Things like the simplistic wound system and limited variation within at least some of the kill teams don't help either. I suppose I would simply expect a bit more granularity at this scale, a greater importance of positioning etcetera. It's not terrible, but... it just doesn't seem all that interesting.

That's a bit disappointing (serves me right for pre-ordering before the reviews come out)!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #8646 on: July 28, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
I think it looks fun and there seem to be a lot of decisions to be made in game, certainly more than 40K. But I guess that's not saying much. There have been lots of mistakes in the videos (there are some poorly worded rules) and some players seem to love ignoring cover in favour of standing in the open. I guess that's a hangover from playing 40k?

Glad I downloaded the ebook and it's got me planning lots of kill teams. Though I'll be jamming in all sorts of extra stuff such as characters, just because the rules, stats and weapons are so similar to 40k it would be a waste not to!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8647 on: July 28, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
There certainly are a number of small changes to the normal order of things (literally - more back and forth in a game turn) that are nice improvements on normal 40k (which I don't rate very highly). Can't imagine it being too difficult to simply add in more profiles and factions yourself, that will certainly make the more restricted lists much more interesting. And as said, it's great for hobby projects - be it a small band of themed conversions, or indeed just not wanting to paint more than a handful of Harlequins.  ;)

In addition, the new terrain is really well done - a clever design making it very versatile, and you can't go wrong with flying buttresses. It's interesting how quite some recent GW figures have become much less flexible in their construction, while they now release this scenery that can be built in many ways and combines perfectly with some other kits - something they seemingly can't bother with within the same sprue of Necromunda fighters.

As an aside, I'm trying to understand why the vampire in the new Black Coach is all chained up. I thought the casket was just a nice sleeping spot basically, and the article description doesn't seem to indicate a major change in its role for the AoS world. So why not have a normal sleeping vampire, as depicted on the lid of the sarcophagus?

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8649 on: July 28, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Ah, look at that - thanks!

Still doesn't really make sense why they keep him tied up. Ah well, it matters little as I'd build the kit with the lid on.. and won't do either at anything near that pricepoint anyway. Bit of a shame for one of the few new releases that both has a clear use in 'old' Warhammer armies, and stylistically still fits well in them too. Still can't believe it's twice the price of a Mortis Engine.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8650 on: July 28, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
Just saw the new kill-team rules courtesy of a friend and must say...disappointed to be quite honest, while the gameplay itself looks fun I miss the modularity of shadow war when it comes to weaponry, the whole rule about making only rules for minis really puts a dampener on conversion opportunities.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8651 on: July 29, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
It's not terrible, but... it just doesn't seem all that interesting.

My thoughts exactly

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #8652 on: August 01, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
I've ordered Kill Team as a gateway back into 40k - I'm hoping it'll be a fun little game that I can play while I'm painting up my accidental Marine army - I do think the real fun will come with future expansions though,  really hoping that they'll expand the options available a bit. That being said,  I've mostly bought the set for the terrain and the models, as I'm starting from scratch with sci-fi terrain and I've wanted to paint some Hybrids up for ages! Really liking the look of the skirmish size boards that are included in these boxed games too,  I can see myself getting plenty of use out of it.

If the game sucks,  I'll just switch to a different ruleset for my 40k skirmishing - there's plenty of options out there!

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #8653 on: August 01, 2018, 06:53:37 PM »
They seem to be doing something right.   Profits just about doubled last year, while turnover was up about 30% http://bit.ly/2O2FQmt

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #8654 on: August 01, 2018, 07:16:30 PM »
Would anyone happen to know how fancy/varied those background generators in the Kill Team rulebook are?
Even if the rules aren't all that impressive, I might find those nice to have around.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.