Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1699315 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8895 on: September 23, 2018, 02:33:07 AM »
I airbrush prime all my minis, and often use coloured primer depending on what I’m doing anyway. The original model colour is irrelevant.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8896 on: September 27, 2018, 09:29:30 AM »
Being out of GW games for a while now I'm learning the new changes to 40k. One question I have is about charging. It used to be easy with the whole, Double the Move rule but now I find it strange with things with a high move such as a Lictor 9" still has the same charge as a slower creature like a pox walker move 5" how does this work?
Also the consolidate rule has me scratching my head a little as well. If you don't reach with your charge are you allowed the 3" consolidate or not? Newbie questions here :)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #8897 on: September 27, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
Being out of GW games for a while now I'm learning the new changes to 40k. One question I have is about charging. It used to be easy with the whole, Double the Move rule but now I find it strange with things with a high move such as a Lictor 9" still has the same charge as a slower creature like a pox walker move 5" how does this work?
Also the consolidate rule has me scratching my head a little as well. If you don't reach with your charge are you allowed the 3" consolidate or not? Newbie questions here :)

Now the move stats aren't involved, you just roll the 2D6 to Charge.

If you don't roll the necessary distance for the charge, there's no Charge. The consolidate moviment only works after the Fight (Close Combat) phase is resolved. And to get into the Fight, you need to Charge. So - no Charge, no Fight, no consolidate.

At least that's my understanding of the rules. I can be wrong, I only have like 6 games of 8th edition.  o_o

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #8898 on: September 27, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »

At least that's my understanding of the rules.
Sounds right to me.
Charging occurs after and in addition to movement. So a fast creature like a Lictor gets to move 9" and then, after pausing for the shooting phase, charge 2D6.
An Ork only moves 5", pauses, then charges.
So effectively a Lictor "charge move" is 2d6 +9 and an Orks is 2d6+5

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8899 on: September 27, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
Okay. I thought that charging occurred in the movement phase. That is quite a large gap that can be filled in one turn.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8900 on: September 28, 2018, 12:02:22 AM »
That looks as good an explanation of the new charge rules as any.

The one thing I will say as a 'nid player. Combat isn't anywhere near as 'safe' as it once used to be. Using a tooth and claw focused 'nid swarm army isn't guaranteed to work and is in fact a lot harder to pull off these days. Mainly because of two things:

- Reaction Fire: Every unit gets reaction fire, and not just once per turn. So you can't burn that unit of three termagants to trigger reaction fire. If they are wiped out, the unit can reaction fire against the next charging unit. The super bane of this are units with flame throwers. Especially the Thousand Son's unit which I cannot remember the name of which effectively becomes nigh on impossible to get into combat with. :o
- Fall Back: Units can fall back without suffering any damage/hits for doing so and can shoot at you. So, that unit you just took heavy casualties to get into combat with? Yeah, that one! It can fall back in it's turn and blast away at whatever you have left. Obviously marines tend to make this a rather deadly affair. :'(

So use guns. I have found a new love for termagants even if I need a dumper truck to roll the dice . . . . .  ;D
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8901 on: September 28, 2018, 12:28:45 AM »
So 40k remains as gamey and greasy as ever?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8902 on: September 28, 2018, 03:24:56 AM »
That's a shame. I like my slicy Tyranids. I may just follow through with the theme of it anyway. I have plenty of termagants and shooty warriors anyway so they are always an option. I'm really only using this for kill team.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8903 on: September 28, 2018, 04:19:58 AM »
I'm wondering if the kill team rules are different. They state that you can make a charge instead of a normal move. Also any reaction fire, overwatch as they call it, is a 6 to hit regardless of BS or modifiers.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #8904 on: September 28, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »
So 40k remains as gamey and greasy as ever?
They're just game mechanics. Gamey-ness and greasy-ness would be the choice of the players.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:43:43 AM by TWD »

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #8905 on: September 28, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
I'm wondering if the kill team rules are different. They state that you can make a charge instead of a normal move. Also any reaction fire, overwatch as they call it, is a 6 to hit regardless of BS or modifiers.
Not played KT so I don't know about movement. But the 6s thing is common to both. However flamers don't roll to hit, so they hit chargers automatically

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #8906 on: September 28, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »
They're just game mechanics. Gamey-ness and geasy-ness would be the choice of the players.

Exactly. People who want to play that kind of "game" are usually tournament players.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8907 on: September 29, 2018, 01:39:39 AM »
Wait, wait, hold the vox...

People play 40K for fun?

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #8908 on: September 29, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Wait, wait, hold the vox...

People play 40K for fun?

Yes.
Next question.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #8909 on: September 29, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
Yes.
Next question.

Why do the Eldar, an ancient race facing slow extinction yet wise beyond human understanding, give Guardians, their citizen militia who are generally meant to stay at a safe-ish distance from the battle and provide covering fire for the Aspect Warriors, guns with range so pathetic that the pistols of other races laugh about it?

I really have no idea what I'm doing.