Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682926 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9105 on: November 12, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
Already feel like Smaug  :D

A.lways

B.e

H.oarding

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #9106 on: November 12, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
Anyone that has played both Nightvault & Shadespire? I may get one of those to get back into GW stuff.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #9107 on: November 12, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
Yes, Shadespire rocks. Buy it, you won't regret it. Nightvault has to wait till next month, other things to spend my money on atm.
Leadhead

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9108 on: November 12, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
I think Shadespire is out of print due to the release of Nightvault.

I might have a virtually untouched copy of Shadespire going though.  ;)

It's a good, fun game but not my style.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9109 on: November 13, 2018, 07:04:42 PM »
Buy Nightvault.

Is more current rule set and has 2 unique bands (and Ghost band is just gorgeous!). Shadespire boxed warbands were released as stand alone.

if you like the game you may look for Shadespire box for boards that were in it, but if you want to buy something to play get the Nightvault.

And its very good game. Unlike anything GW released but very playable and very cool with small bands of beautiful models.

I own almost everything they released and I love it (well except the Sigmarines, but they are Ok too, just not so loved - their campy way of playing dont interest me too much, I am having most fun with glascannon skaven - hmm glass halaberd ?  :)

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #9110 on: November 13, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
I've been half looking at getting into Shadespire and/or Nightvault as I'm on a really small scale gaming binge right now and some of the warbands look really nice.

I may be wrong but it seems that is the major change with Nightvault is that warbands now have access to magic casting?

If I got Nightvault, would anybody using the warbands released for Shadespire be at a disadvantage due to there being no magic ability in these warbands?

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9111 on: November 13, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
magic is an addition. Tp be honest its not major part of the game and spells are used sparsely apart from Tzeench warband.
I am yet to loose the match against Nightvault warband with my Skaven (I havent played vs magical Sigmarines mind you) - but they are not the opponents I fear (these are big Khorne dudes and Orcs).
Ghost can be devastating but they are not spell based in reality - they do move shenanigans.

But in reality power or lack of power of any warband comes from card deck and how you use it. And magic is not best option for anything really. It could be ok suport but spells are in direct competitions with Ploys (same spot) but Ploys are much better most of the times.

So technically speaking you will loose against guys that have most of the cards (which you can easily proxy unless you want to go tourney and win) and know what they are doing (this game is really a puzzle and game play is more important than cards or band) lol
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:43:37 PM by AWu »

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #9112 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:48 AM »
Cheers for that AWu,

Good to hear that magic isn't all dominating as that was my initial worry between Shadespire and Nightvault.

I'll have to check it out. It is a game I've been looking over the past few months but I haven't taken the plunge yet and I've only heard good things.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9113 on: November 14, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
One thing I've always stuck by is that marines are not the ones out of scale, Imperial guard are...

...Guard are far to big. Simply shrinking them would actually bring a lot of others into line with their comparative sizes.

And that's why I never went for the Cadian plastics, or the 2nd ed metal Guardsmen before that, but rather for the RT era Necromundan plastic Guardsmen (upgraded with later plastic weapons); at least lengthwise they're somewhat in scale with standard space marines. Of course they're way too bulky and goofy, but I chalk that up to Darwinian reasons (read: inbreeding)... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9114 on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
And that's why I never went for the Cadian plastics, or the 2nd ed metal Guardsmen before that, but rather for the RT era Necromundan plastic Guardsmen (upgraded with later plastic weapons); at least lengthwise they're somewhat in scale with standard space marines.

They are also gold dust. I have a box but I can't possibly afford to actually ruin them with paint.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #9115 on: November 14, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
They are also gold dust. I have a box but I can't possibly afford to actually ruin them with paint.
lol I feel like  that about all my miniatures .

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9116 on: November 14, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
Cheers for that AWu,

Good to hear that magic isn't all dominating as that was my initial worry between Shadespire and Nightvault.

I'll have to check it out. It is a game I've been looking over the past few months but I haven't taken the plunge yet and I've only heard good things.

Only thing unique to magic is recovering used cards from your discard pile - but that hardly a game changer.
Rest of spell effect is easily duplicable by other ploys or not that attractive and spells are one use only.

Very Important new for anybody wanting to play in a tournament of Underworlds.
They made Ban (3 cards that should be banned) an d restricted card lists.
This should help to balance the game a lot.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/14/warhammer-underworlds-news-bans-restrictions-and-a-new-deck-buildergw-homepage-post-1/?fbclid=IwAR0lmK-fila62R8IFKtIS9p6S7wQq3x2nxTBi4y4xvh3CyVpsFbaCNnDh-c
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:09:33 PM by AWu »

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9117 on: November 16, 2018, 06:00:25 AM »
Yeah, they cut down on machinery under Kirby, so you find a lot of stuff floats in and out of availability.  It's almost always back in stock in a few weeks.

Ok, thanks Momotaro and Awu. I haven't really followed GW doings these past years, so this was a bit of surprise for me. I will wait patiently then...  :D

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9118 on: November 18, 2018, 02:33:49 AM »
I may have kind of accidentally gotten one of my friends involved in AoS by showing him the kharadron overlords. With any luck, I'll have a regular sparring buddy again.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9119 on: November 18, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
Wow! The year is 2018 and we're taking pics of women playing wargames because it's still a shock? Really?

Christ on a bike!