Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682852 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9120 on: November 18, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
To be honest I took pic of Smaug, girl is just in the frame  lol

This is 300 pound display model  :o
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:13:39 PM by AWu »

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #9121 on: November 18, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
Wouldn’t want to trip an drop it  lol

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9122 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
Exactly..

Its time to get an insurance in the turnnament entry fee?:P

And Ive seen second Smaug some tables away risking its .. structural integrity.. lol lol lol

Quality of this picture is the reason Ive scored that extra blonde on the second, close ups wont work with shaky hands   ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9123 on: November 19, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »
Wow! The year is 2018 and we're taking pics of women playing wargames because it's still a shock? Really?

You've more chance of seeing a real dragon at a historical tournament than a female player.

Seriously though, maybe there's a female-dominated corner of the internet where guys at tourneys are being defined by terms like "BO Guy", or "Mr Creepy with phone-cam".

Offline soldado

• Scientist
« Reply #9124 on: November 19, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »
You've more chance of seeing a real dragon at a historical tournament than a female player.

Probably because there'd be less creepy comments and surreptitious photo taking if a dragon turned up.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9125 on: November 19, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
I was at Warhammer World at the weekend. Quite a few women of all ages playing (Middle Earth and AoS mostly I think) . Predominantly male people in the hall but still a significant number and certainly more than when I've been there previously. Can only be a good thing.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9126 on: November 19, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »
Your concentration on hairy part not on 300 pound scally part says a lot about it  lol

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9127 on: November 19, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
"Mr Creepy with phone-cam".

One of these creatures was taking a picture of my brother's wife as she was feeding my new niece on the weekend, with the intention of acting as a member of the self-appointed morality police.

Luckily the facility was a city one (we were taking the older kids to an indoor playground at a local rec centre), so the staff (who he'd already annoyed) gave him merry hell before my brother had the chance to do anything rash.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9128 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
One of these creatures was taking a picture of my brother's wife as she was feeding my new niece on the weekend, with the intention of acting as a member of the self-appointed morality police.
Some people are so clueless and need to worry about something that is actually a problem.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9129 on: November 20, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
Yeah, I mean if you wanted to take a photo of a dragon, you just ask the owner nicely - I suspect 9 times out of 10 they'd be only too pleased.

Women are certainly not that few in number in the gaming hobby now. I know several, but it is seeing things like this that prevent more from attending tournaments and shows.

It really shouldn't be case of 'Wow, wimmins' anymore. No matter their age, gender or perceived attractiveness. Imagine how the hell most of us would feel if the tables were turned.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:28:06 PM by mcfonz »
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
« Reply #9130 on: November 20, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »
My (sadly currently defunct, due to loss of venue, but looks like it may be making a comback!) local gaming club had a great diversity of folks (helped that we played a great diversity of games) including women, POC, ages ranging from teenagers-grandparents, etc. My experience in the United States, sadly, is that this is often the exception, rather than the rule. But The Icehouse Gamers (as it was known and shall be known again) was a safe space to come and push around figures, talk shop, etc. It helps that the organizers were all 'proper' adults who made sure that people felt welcome and encouraged a healthy environment. It also helped that it wasn't in a store. Nothing against stores, of course, but it's harder to establish consequences for bad behavior when the perpetrators are "paying customers", especially if you're staff and not the owner. 

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9131 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
A sign of the times maybe, but back in the day you'd have to look at the photo a fair amount of time before you even realised there were people in it too.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9132 on: November 21, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
A sign of the times maybe, but back in the day you'd have to look at the photo a fair amount of time before you even realised there were people in it too.

Sorry, but that just isn't true. Back in the day, with a film camera and a flash, you'd not be so able to sneakily take a photo.

It also used to be that you didn't notice the people in it because they were nearly always the same demographic and you didn't have people drawing your attention to someone that wasn't.  ;)

I'm not saying anyone was up to anything mischievous here, but it I think people need to realise how it could be interpreted. It's a far more open and inclusive hobby now than it ever has been. That sort of suggests change and dictates changes in hobby etiquette. 8)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9133 on: November 21, 2018, 02:06:11 PM »
Another sign of the sign of the times is that a joke is now not usually recognised as such unless you add an emoticon.  ::)

That being said I am all for a more a more inclusive hobby and abhor any idea that anyone should be made to feel not welcome by the actions of others.

While the photo can be explained away, use of "Hot Chick" etc. in the text of a post would be less ambiguous.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:10:14 PM by Arlequín »

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9134 on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
Hey, hot chick killing Smaug is a direction I want to take my hobby into. Though such thing may vary :)

And to be honest I discovered her after taking this photo. 
But this conversation amused me too  to be honest.
I am generally not big event gamer and only women I meet playing wargames is my wife so I do not have such experiences (and the boardgames are quite different demographic around), but when one see intrusion of privacy instead of poetic beauty of the moment I can only say that my joke failed at the audience  ;)