Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695736 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9315 on: January 20, 2019, 11:41:16 PM »
if you want those hybrids (I dont have them yet and they have ton of great bits here) it will be Ok
if anybody would want only Leader - probably not so cool :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:16:22 PM by AWu »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9316 on: January 21, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
Yeah, I've been holding off some for Necromunda. I'm running a campaign and will be for the forseeable as it is my fav game. So I may well look at these to get them off the ground. Would mean I have a kill team as well.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9318 on: January 21, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »
Funko Pop figures on the way - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/21/warhammer-40000-funko-pop-figuresgw-homepage-post-2/

Didn't see a price, but may pick up one or two for fun. At least they're prepainted  ;D

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #9319 on: January 21, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #9320 on: January 22, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
Except that heroin is cheaper...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/21/heroin-for-middle-class-nerds-how-warhammer-took-over-gaming-games-workshop

That’s because the second thing to know about Games Workshop is, as Gillen says, that Warhammer was what middle-class nerds did instead of heroin. It was just as expensive, and probably no better for your social life. A small squadron of space marines would cost about £20, a fortune for a 12-year-old; but a full two-player game would need almost 10 times that many units, as well as tanks, bikes and special figures – not to mention huge bipedal dreadnoughts.

I dispute this. But mainly because it wasn't my experience and this expression seems to be based upon theirs.

Back in the early '90's, it seemed a lot more affordable. And in many way's it was. Back then you could pick up a large sample of individual models for as little as £2.50 and packs of multiples for £3.99 or £4.99, my memory is a bit hazy. I just know that characters and terminators were cheap.

Now, you can use the bank of England inflation calculator to find out that £3 (it only does whole £'s) of 1993's money (when I started gaming) is now £6 in today's money. And whilst there are some characters you can buy online (direct only) for as little as that, the reality is that the equivalents are much more.

Now I am not complaining about prices. Back then, and you can look in old white dwarfs to look at this, the Norwich store was relatively new and there were probably only around 15 stores in the UK let alone the world. I think that is what makes it all the more amazing.

They talk about 40 years. But in reality GW has boomed in the latter half of that.

Still, truth is, as a 15 year old with friends who were not into it and more into football and smoking cigarettes, I actually worked out it was cheaper than smoking - which I couldn't afford if I wanted to.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9321 on: January 22, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »
Yeah I seem to remember buying Night Goblins...£4.99 for either 3 command minis or 4 warriors.

Things are definitely more expensive now from GW. Interestingly I was looking at some Kev Adams goblins the other day on the RPE site and they were £2 each...pretty much the same price once you take interest into account.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #9322 on: January 22, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »
My wife brought that article to my attention yesterday, she ran across it while scrolling away on Facebook.

I was reading a Blackstone Fortress rulebook at that moment...  lol

I'm an addict.  :'( 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #9323 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
Yeah I seem to remember buying Night Goblins...£4.99 for either 3 command minis or 4 warriors.

Things are definitely more expensive now from GW. Interestingly I was looking at some Kev Adams goblins the other day on the RPE site and they were £2 each...pretty much the same price once you take interest into account.
GW are capable of sensible pricing but I think they generally choose not to do it. It's the inconsistency that gets me. Squads, BB teams etc are usually priced ok, but then they sell single miniatures for a similar price to the squads and it looks all wrong. It's fairly easy to see how they generate such healthy profits. Their struggles of a few years ago can surely only be attributed to falling sales rather than profit margins.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9324 on: January 22, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
The usual excuse you get for expensive plastic characters is that the molds are very expensive and obviously players don't need as many copies of a character as they do a squad...but I dunno, a few years ago the free event mini at Salute was plastic...

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #9325 on: January 22, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
Yeah, but the thing with the free event mini's you get anywhere is that they are not free.

Free to the first 5,000 or something isn't it?

Some companies will do discounts and what not for games minis because it's advertising and product placement. So Renedra might have done a deal for that one and the sculptor may have done the same, they get the mini in the mag and in other magazines. I think Wargames Illustrated have featured them before. Especially with the painting comp of which one category is last years mini.

In either case, it's £10 entry to get one. Even 1000 people through the door is £10k. For a small sprue like that, I think that's not far off. Plus they are always selling them the year after, those that are left. And I suspect that a production run with plastics is so low we'll see them sold there for a while longer yet.

I did once look into it, but size of sprue does make a difference to the cost. At one point I think someone was offering a small sprue like that for around £8-9k. I think that was outside of the UK, maybe in EU? But when you consider GW also have to cover the cost of infrastructure as well. And we all know that retail units (eg shops) are becoming more expensive (well at least in the UK and parts of the US - and in a lot of big cities).

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9326 on: January 23, 2019, 07:25:37 AM »
True...thanks for the numbers mcfonz.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9327 on: January 23, 2019, 07:28:09 AM »
I'm keen to get into Warhammer Underworld (or whatever it is called) How do people rate it that have played it?
I just ordered the new troll guy because I liked the mini but it comes with everything else anyway...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:12:46 AM by beefcake »

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9328 on: January 23, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
I'm keen to get into Warhammer Underworld (or whatever it is called) How do people rate it that have played it?

It's good but it has a very strong CCG element to it, owning certain cards boosts your chances of winning more then correct Warband placement at times.

Though having played many a CCG/TCG throughout the years I'm used to that aspect so It's not something that's stopped me playing it.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9329 on: January 23, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »
I just ordered the new troll guy because I liked the mini but it comes with everything else anyway...

Its very good game but its mix of board game and ccg not traditional miniature wargame.
I played it a lot and attended some tourneys.
Great fun.
To be honest - deck of cards and how do you play them is more important than miniatures.

But its very good game in itself and you can proxy cards with printouts from the internet or just use cards in your box (it will be playable but you could struggle vs people with larger card base)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:26:46 PM by AWu »